• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

makes sense.. but I seem to remember the comic alone in the mylite and the advantage being both sides would always be visible reducing the number of times you had to handle the actual book itself.

if we think of the backing board as primarily for support, and that it be acidfree so that its doesnt ADD any acid off-gassing to the comics environment as it supports it, it wouldnt matter if its in the mylite or not. But if the board needs to touch the comic in order to absorb the comic's off-gassing, then it WOULD need to be in the bag. But I believe acidfree boards are only for support NOT for absorbing gases. Thats the microchamber paper's job.

no?

That must be FFB's thinking. His original quote on the subject was:

"I usually go one step further on anything worth more than $1000. I put the comic in a Mylite with no board. Then insert it into a 4 Mil Archive with a full back."

That's what I used to do too until a few weeks ago. Some archival experts pointed out that the book needed to be next to the board. So, I swapped them out from the above system to a full back and the comic inside a Mylite2. I am happy with them and they look great!

"I usually go one step further on anything worth more than $1000. I put the comic in a Mylite with no board. Then insert it into a 4 Mil Archive with a full back."

That's what I used to do too until a few weeks ago. Some archival experts pointed out that the book needed to be next to the board. So, I swapped them out from the above system to a full back and the comic inside a Mylite2. I am happy with them and they look great!

Bill, I remember you originally said, that you put the comic in a Mylite with no board. Then inserted it into a 4 Mil Archive with a full back.

Have you abandoned the 4 mil Archive in this new system?

Bill, I remember you originally said, that you put the comic in a Mylite with no board. Then inserted it into a 4 Mil Archive with a full back.

Have you abandoned the 4 mil Archive in this new system?

Yep, just in the past few weeks. I was convinced of the error of my ways and have adopted the new system.

did this person say why the board is better IN the mylite with the comic? I have always put boards (usually not 100% acid free by the way) inside the bags, mylars etc. But was planning to remylarize all my better stuff (as Bangzoom is thinking of doing) and FFbs method sounded pretty thourough. I especially liked being able to see the backs too. But, if your expert has a good reason to bag the board, Id go that way too.

While some do not like having to crease a 2 mil to make them lay flat, I think putting the comic on a full or halfback before placing it inside whatever bag choice is what is really important.

Too many edges can catch on the bags opening if there is no backing board.(learned from Mr. Nelson I might add) Not to mention Mylites seams can split on you sometimes too, so why take the chance.

Half or Fullback in a 2 mil if you like closed bags, or 4 mil if you like open tops.

2 mil offers greater clarity , 4 mil offers greater rigidity.

And of course allow plenty of room when sizing bags/boards for GA books.

Now continue with the nice funny books BZ.

Ze-

not to mention that the backer board buffers against released acid from the pulp of the comic....by leaving a comic in a bag/mylite alone, you can liken it to leaving your pot roast in a bag...with no backer board to absorb some "juices", your roast just stews in its own juices...

best method:

acid free full back with comic inside mylite, mylar, whatever (provides both buffer and protection)....I would then, on the valuable books, put that inside a full mylar (4mil) to protect against addition UV considerations

rick

Yeah, that's what I do with all my comics worth over $1000 too.

Easy! It took no time at all.

Jack

I use the super thin paper in all my GA books. One in front one at the CF and one in the back. I use the backing boards with the charcoal in the middle in a mylite. I then put that in a 4 ml mylar. I use to drive myself crazy over this stuff. With the kind of books BZ has, the big concern for me would be preserving the PQ, since the cover colors look like they've been well taken care of. Do a few at a time, don't rush it and remeber that you've taken great care of them already.

yeah, one thing to add to all of this is would be that the actual bags/boards one puts their books in is about a tenth as important - if not less - than the actual environment the books are in.

i mean, Curator books were stuffed what, 10-12 to a magazine bag and stacked in bricks inside a museum vault? Church's books sat unbagged/boarded in piles in his basement for 30 years... Larson books were what, in a closet somewhere?

if you maintain conditions in which there is low temp and low humidity, as long as you're not handling them often, i'd be shocked if you even NEED bags and boards. all the other stuff is just overkill if you can afford to maintain the right temp/humidity conditions

yeah, one thing to add to all of this is would be that the actual bags/boards one puts their books in is about a tenth as important - if not less - than the actual environment the books are in.

i mean, Curator books were stuffed what, 10-12 to a magazine bag and stacked in bricks inside a museum vault? Church's books sat unbagged/boarded in piles in his basement for 30 years... Larson books were what, in a closet somewhere?

if you maintain conditions in which there is low temp and low humidity, as long as you're not handling them often, i'd be shocked if you even NEED bags and boards. all the other stuff is just overkill if you can afford to maintain the right temp/humidity conditions

Yep. Storage is the key. As we commented many pages ago (when it was first brought up that BZ should make the switch), he's done a great job so far, really no need to switch (unless he wants to).

"If it ain't broke, don't break it."

-Charles Oakley

Larson books were what, in a closet somewhere?

A barn, but they did suffer for it. Many have foxing as a result.

oh, right...Nebraska?

maybe it was the O'Reilly's that were in a closet confused-smiley-013.gif

con-sarned late as *##& pedigree book juggle.gif

makes sense.. but I seem to remember the comic alone in the mylite and the advantage being both sides would always be visible reducing the number of times you had to handle the actual book itself.

if we think of the backing board as primarily for support, and that it be acidfree so that its doesnt ADD any acid off-gassing to the comics environment as it supports it, it wouldnt matter if its in the mylite or not. But if the board needs to touch the comic in order to absorb the comic's off-gassing, then it WOULD need to be in the bag. But I believe acidfree boards are only for support NOT for absorbing gases. Thats the microchamber paper's job.

no?

That is correct, I remember that thread and it does make sense. We all have a few of those books that really give off a smell (great smell mind you) of acidic pulp and having it a book in a mylar without a board to buffer it would probably do further damage to the paper especially if stored in a climate that is not typically cool.

We all have a few of those books that really give off a smell

In Ciorac's case it might be the collector and not the books!

When it will stop? laugh.gif Treasure after treasure... thanks for the photo BZ 893applaud-thumb.gif

In answer to my question, hopefully never... please keep posting all this wonderful stuff!! We like drooling over it!!