• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Geez, I gotta vent here.

I had the chance to buy the Kelly original of that Pogo strip a few years back. Didn't and have regretted it ever since. I know everyone on these Boards has these sort of stories but this was a case of really bad non-buyers remorse and that just dragged it all up for me again.

Aah. That's better. Now back to your scheduled programme.

Oh, and keep it up BZ, I love your stuff!! :cloud9:

Snif! I feel like Porky Pine just knocked on my door on Christmas morning.

Thanks,

Jack

Not too often I see references to Porky Pine.

He was always so wise. hm

"There’s only two possibilities: There is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought."

One of my favorite annual traditions from my favorite comic strip of all time -- always misted me up a bit. Here's a sample from 1956 or so.

41468-pogocopy.jpg

Edited by selegue

I'd love to have a Pogo original, especially one as cool at that one! (Not to rub it in.)

A friend bought a proof sheet (I think that's what it was called -- sent to newspapers) that included a lovely Christmas strip a few years ago. It framed up nicely.

Do you have any Kelly originals, BZ? I don't think we've seen them yet.

Jack

Geez, I gotta vent here.

I had the chance to buy the Kelly original of that Pogo strip a few years back. Didn't and have regretted it ever since. I know everyone on these Boards has these sort of stories but this was a case of really bad non-buyers remorse and that just dragged it all up for me again.

Aah. That's better. Now back to your scheduled programme.

Oh, and keep it up BZ, I love your stuff!! :cloud9:

Edited by selegue

I'd love to have a Pogo original, especially one as cool at that one! (Not to rub it in.)

A friend bought a proof sheet (I think that's what it was called -- sent to newspapers) that included a lovely Christmas strip a few years ago. It framed up nicely.

Do you have any Kelly originals, BZ? I don't think we've seen them yet.

Jack

I have a daily from 1957.

I'll try to get a photo of it up later this week. (thumbs u

Sky reminds me a bit of Electro/Dynamo from early Science Comics, published about the same time. Must be the red suit and fancy headgear.

Hey, I was thinking the same thing! :hi:

Sky reminds me a bit of Electro/Dynamo from early Science Comics, published about the same time. Must be the red suit and fancy headgear.

Hey, I was thinking the same thing! :hi:

Great minds in the same rut.

Your avatar tells me that you're an aficionado of phallic Golden Age headgear!

Jack

Jack

I could say much the same to you... :blush:

Actually, it is funny how many characters were running around with these kinds of helmets...I'm also thinking of Ultraman, who DC considered one of their "Big Six" heroes in house ads at the time. Don't think too many of these guys made it past the 1938-1940 era.

Jack

I could say much the same to you... :blush:

Yeah, Dopey would been better off not hat-shopping on the Extra-Large rack.

Actually, it is funny how many characters were running around with these kinds of helmets...I'm also thinking of Ultraman, who DC considered one of their "Big Six" heroes in house ads at the time. Don't think too many of these guys made it past the 1938-1940 era.

Looks to me like Mr. Concord blew all his cash on the helmet and ran out before he got the the shirt department.

Jack

My personal favorite is Rex Dexter's cornucopia hat.

Samson1bcGA.jpg

That's got to be one of the most cockamamie, Rube Goldberg menacing devices ever to appear on a comic book cover. It's up there with the ones on Schomburg's wartime Axis covers. Why not just pour the blamed acid into the water from the bucket? And why dilute it with water?

Jack

(At least he's observing the "add acid to water, not water to acid" rule)

police26ga.jpg