• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

:acclaim:

Any idea of who drew the cover to that Sparkler book you just posted?

It looks like the work of Fred Methot and Reg Greenwood who illustrated the Spark Man story in the comic.

(thumbs u Thanks! I had never heard of Greenwood before. That costume for some reason seems like what Selegue would wear if he was to don a super-hero outfit :baiting: It seems that Fred Methot wrote for radio throughout the '30s as well. I'd be curious to what shows / programs he contributed to?

Here's a page from Mirror Man in Tip Top (another Methot / Greenwood collaboration) where Greenwood isn't inked as kindly as on the cover of Sparkler -

41210-MirrorMan-Greenwood.jpg.05d2f56be806ca0ce5ea2158367295fd.jpg

C'mon guys, clearly it's Kirby. But the Crash 2 is a very tough ID. Nice work Scrooge.

I'll put up another challenge in the next day or two.

I think it's possible that it may be more difficult to ID than tonight's page, but ultimately can be solved with a little research. confused.gifthink.gifread.gif

It looks like the work of Fred Methot and Reg Greenwood who illustrated the Spark Man story in the comic.

(thumbs u Thanks! I had never heard of Greenwood before. That costume for some reason seems like what Selegue would wear if he was to don a super-hero outfit :baiting: ....

Which costume, Spark Man? Those insulators holding on his cape are a nice touch, aren't they?

But no, I'd go for the Phantasmo look.

Funnies48GA.jpg

Jack

(at least for summer)

Which costume, Spark Man? Those insulators holding on his cape are a nice touch, aren't they?

Yes SparkMan. With a little tweaking, it would perfect but ... if you'd rather go the Phantasmo route, make sure to protect another city than mine!

Yes SparkMan. With a little tweaking, it would perfect

Any idea why his logo is an equal sign?

but ... if you'd rather go the Phantasmo route, make sure to protect another city than mine!

Are you kidding? There wouldn't be a criminal for miles around -- they're such a superstitious and cowardly lot.

Jack

especially the villainesses

(thumbs u Thanks! I had never heard of Greenwood before. That costume for some reason seems like what Selegue would wear if he was to don a super-hero outfit :baiting: ....

But no, I'd go for the Phantasmo look.

Funnies48GA.jpg

Jack

(at least for summer)

There is just something sooooooo wrong about this. doh!

It just doesn't improve with each new showing. lol

Yes, it's bad but then again it's not as bad as the title with I believe the most pictures of a man with livestock ... Gabby Hayes! Here are 2 examples. Anyone for a double-entendre with the mule :sick:

41235-GHayes42.jpg.948a068a230129d94e17cdccebf9b5bc.jpg

41236-GHayes45.jpg.a1895bae497ab455185582258f26f143.jpg

...wtf were they thinking when they drew this.

For those who missed it the first time I posted it. Here's some background about Phantasmo's artist, E.C. Stoner.

According to Jerry Bails, Who's Who in American Comic Books. Stoner was an African-American artist who lived from 1897-1969. His artistic credits are impressive. He was the creator of Mr. Peanut for Planters [at age 15]; painted murals for hotels and restaurants; worked for DC, Dell, EC, Fawcett, Fox, Harvey, Marvel, Street & Smith, and more.

Check this link for a full listing of his credits.

Jerry Bails Who's Who

Also, here's a story about Stoner that appeared in the May 21, 1944 issue of the communist newspaper, The Daily Worker.

The Daily Worker

That guy looks like Picard when he's in the future and has the beard! me = geek

I bet the cover wasn't that shocking and/or as gay as we see it. I bet dollars to doughnuts (haven't read BZ's links yet) that the guy was at one point into physical fitness -- along with practically every other kid on the planet. Those books and mags had the same kind of what we would call "gratuitous" male nudity -- supposedly as an art object of physical perfection. We in the 21st Century just read it as gay. Who's right? Who knows, but if kids were reading comics, they were almost surely reading about fitness -- the two were very entwined in their popularity. Joe Shuster, for example, was a huge fitness buff.

BR

I think I'm going to become a fitness buff, just so I can add The Funnies #48

to my want-list. But I think that buff comic nerd is an oxymoron!

Edited by MrBedrock