• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Of course, this business with a witch doctor had my mind wander.

Here's the Sandman's version of a voodoo sorcerer from Adventure 63 -

46923-ADV63-S1.jpg

But really this calls for more Tarzan by Foster posting.

First up is a wonderful panel with superb perspective and a real sense of movement sweeping through the entire scene. Splendid -

46924-Foster-T1.jpg

Second, what more can one hope for: Tarzan, Elephant Cemetary, a Gigantosaurus (as per the story) and Pterodactyls :cloud9: -

46925-Foster-T2.jpg

and finally, and certainly my favorite, Tarzan in his jungle persona regaling himself in a night on the jungle - It's whimsical and fantastic at the same time. Check out the whimsy in the gorilla at far right. He's enjoying himself so much ...

46926-Foster-T3.jpg

I think this crowd would enjoy Minimidget and Ritty. :)

minimidget.jpg

All right, folks. If you don't like this one, the complaints should be directed towards BZ. I give you Minimidget and Ritty -

My favorite part was definitely the subtle use of foreshadowing.

What a hoot!

Any idea who drew the story?

Jack

(OK, whoever you are. Quit thinking "hand job" so loud that I can hear it from here.)

46917-AM10-MM2.JPG

My favorite part was definitely the subtle use of foreshadowing.

What a hoot!

Any idea who drew the story?

John F. Kolb

Aha -- so it's a one-man feature? GCD lists him for -script but not artwork.

Thanks,

Jack

Just an overall really cool thread. Thanks to all who have posted(aside from the all too obvious Zoom-meister of course) There are some really cool and informative posts in this thread.

Ze-

BZ:

Let me be the first to say thank you for 300 pages of cool comics, pretty pulps, beautiful books, incredible information and fantastic fun. We are all in your debt.

You, sir, rock.

--Gary

Cool stuff, Scrooge.

Thanks for posting. :applause:

I'm especially impressed that you caught the John Severin - Charles Russell swipe.

Very impressive.

So that I won't be accused of copying others by AStrange, here's one I found out on my own tonight. I was going through some of my illustration references to see if any jumped out at me and one did. Here's another Pyle swipe but this one is recent as El Cazador came out in 2003 or 2004 -

46927-Cazador-Pyle.jpg.aadbca21d1181aee5b1d91070c2db166.jpg

During my search, I stumbled on something else. Norman Rockwell drawing Disney ducks!?! :screwy: you're going to tell me.

hm

Here's Rockwell's cover for the Saturday Evening Post for April 29, 1950 -

46934-Rockwell-BarberShop.jpg

Notice at the front left, there is a newsstand sheld with magazines AND comics. I scanned the pic from my reference book so we have a good quality look at the comics rack. Sorry for the odd size of the scan -

46935-Rockwell-ComicsBlownUp.jpg

You'll note that at the bottom, we have Rockwell re-drawing some Disney ducks!! The reference Rockwell used was from around early summer 1949, as the comics are cover dated August / September 1949. Here are the books as best I coud ID them -

46933-Rockwell-ActualComicscopy.jpg

BZ:

Let me be the first to say thank you for 300 pages of cool comics, pretty pulps, beautiful books, incredible information and fantastic fun. We are all in your debt.

You, sir, rock.

--Gary

Thank you Moondog, Ze-man, ciorac, Blind Owl, comicdonna,and everyone else for your kind words tonight. :blush:

Also, I'd like to single out Scrooge for a big thank you. We're all in his debt for the endless contributions he brings to this board.

His knowledge, enthusiasm, and scans which he posts have enriched us all.

Thanks, Scrooge. :applause:

Also, I'd like to single out Scrooge for a big thank you. We're all in his debt for the endless contributions he brings to this board.

Hear, Hear! Thanks Scrooge.

This might be your missing Rockwell book.

(from GCD)

46938-296_4_0082.jpg.0ad5fe2daadb2aad2b591ec18767576c.jpg

(from GCD)

Whoops! And, I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who doesn't know how to work a scroll bar.

Sorry all. Nothing to see here, move along.

(from GCD)

Whoops! And, I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who doesn't know how to work a scroll bar.

?????

I think that you posted the right Crime book.

Is this the Gabby Hayes Western? (again, from GCD):

46939-11749_4_014.jpg

This was a very cool find, Scrooge. What an eye!

It looks like a Tim Holt and Famous Funnies there too, right?

Jack

BZ:

You, sir, rock.

--Gary

Thank you Moondog, Ze-man, ciorac, Blind Owl, comicdonna,and everyone else for your kind words tonight. :blush:

BZ,

A big thanks from me.I dont see all the cool GA books on the left coast.So keep posting.Please.

Dennis

(from GCD)

?????

I think that you posted the right Crime book.

46939-11749_4_014.jpg

Jack

Thanks guys. Dr. Svord posted the correct Crime Does Not Pay. I didn't. I wasn't sure but the one posted is certainly it. Probably the same for the Gabby Hayes. Can anyone confirm I did at least pull up the correct WDCS cover? As for the others, I'll let you Jack to ID them. I'd love to see if we can figure out which they are. (thumbs u

46939-11749_4_014.jpg

Jack

Thanks guys. Dr. Svord posted the correct Crime Does Not Pay. I didn't. I wasn't sure but the one posted is certainly it. Probably the same for the Gabby Hayes. Can anyone confirm I did at least pull up the correct WDCS cover? As for the others, I'll let you Jack to ID them. I'd love to see if we can figure out which they are. (thumbs u

Actually, I gave it a shot.

Tim Holt could be any of several with yellow covers,

GCD gallery

10, 13, 18 (18 is best match)

Famous Funnies might not be the right series. The font doesn't quite match and I don't see one in the GCD gallery with the right color and details.

Jack