• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I don't have the Fantagraphics but I believe they do have some additional material. The S&S books edited down the strip and the Fantagraphics books fill in most of that edited material.

Maybe I'll pick up the Fantagraphic books some day. I don't even know what number they're on!

Jack

You guys are confusing me. I plan on buying the "new" Fantagraphics collection hard covers of the Complete Daily & Sunday strips. You guys are talking about the out-of-print softcovers, right? Has the new collection volume already shipped? Richard, do you know? Surprisingly I don't recall ever seeing it solicited through Diamond. Have I missed it?

That's because I'm confused by the Fantagraphic reprints myself. Can you 'splain?

Questions galore. I tried (maybe not hard enough) but failed to find the info on www.

Softcover 1-11(?) were horizontal format, chronological, complete but dailies only? All out of print? The series sputtered out long before reaching the end, right? What year did they reach?

Complete Pogo will be hardcover only? Dailies and Sundays interspersed? Truly complete and in chronological order? Have any been published yet? How many volumes projected?

Thanks,

Jack

Softcover 1-11(?) were horizontal format, chronological, complete but dailies only? All out of print? The series sputtered out long before reaching the end, right? What year did they reach?

I know those. Typical Fantagraphics production that didn't reach the end of the run unfortunately and can be found and some volumes easier than other. Those are the ones you guys are talking about.

Complete Pogo will be hardcover only? Dailies and Sundays interspersed? Truly complete and in chronological order? Have any been published yet? How many volumes projected?

These are the ones I am looking forward to:

Pogo: The Complete Daily & Sunday Comic Strips Vol. 1: "Into the Wild Blue Wonder" (Hardcover)

51h-cgL1xaL._SS500_.jpg

Listed on Amazon at $ 29.95 with a discount selling for $ 19.77. Pre-order only for now. Release date is October 11, 2008.

Part of the Book Description: "Our first volume reprints approximately the first two years of Pogo—Sundays and dailies. The earliest strips embrace a kind of broad farce that reflected Kelly's interest in vaudeville, slapstick humor, and the kind of mistaken identity plotlines that were a staple of screwball comedies of the '30s and '40s. But by the second year of the strip—halfway through our first volume—Kelly dips his toes gently into the satirical waters that Pogo would become famous for in a sequence in which Howland Owl researches atomic power."

Volume 1 clocks at 344 pages.

The original press release from February states:

"Fantagraphics Books is pleased to announce that it has acquired the rights to publish a comprehensive series comprising Walt Kelly's classic POGO comic strip. The first volume of Fantagraphics' POGO will appear in October, 2007, and the series will run approximately 12 volumes, reproducing roughly two years of dailies and Sundays per volume.", and,

"The consecutive run of Pogo has never before been systematically collected into book form. (Fantagraphics published a series of 11 softcover volumes reprinting five-and-a-half years of the strip in the '90s.) This will be the definitive series collecting all of his Pogo strips from 1949 to 1973." which answers your question about the old softcover volumes

I don't have the Fantagraphics but I believe they do have some additional material. The S&S books edited down the strip and the Fantagraphics books fill in most of that edited material.

Maybe I'll pick up the Fantagraphic books some day. I don't even know what number they're on!

Jack

You guys are confusing me. I plan on buying the "new" Fantagraphics collection hard covers of the Complete Daily & Sunday strips. You guys are talking about the out-of-print softcovers, right? Has the new collection volume already shipped? Richard, do you know? Surprisingly I don't recall ever seeing it solicited through Diamond. Have I missed it?

That's because I'm confused by the Fantagraphic reprints myself. Can you 'splain?

Questions galore. I tried (maybe not hard enough) but failed to find the info on www.

Thanks,

Jack

The new hardcovers have not come out. In fact we have not even gotten an order solicitation from Fantagraphics yet. I think they are due out late next spring or earlt summer. They are going to be SUPER complete.

(I love all the new Fantagraphics hardcover reprints. The packaging is great and they are well researched and complete.)

Does anyone have any other Halloween covers? Halloween_Smiley_49.gif

animal5.jpg

Happy Halloween!

I just wet myself. Is that for sale? :wishluck:

If it ever is you will be gettin a PM.

Does anyone have any other Halloween covers? Halloween_Smiley_49.gif

Little Lulu had a nice run of Halloween (and other holiday / seasonal theme) covers early on. This is my favorite fall cover which has Halloween on the side

lulu16.jpg

Hi, Bob! Always loved that cover too!

Little Lulu had a nice run of Halloween (and other holiday / seasonal theme) covers early on. This is my favorite fall cover which has Halloween on the side

lulu16.jpg

Very nice Little Lulu cover. Looney Tunes also had a lot of Great Seasonal covers. Similar to Little Lulu, this is Looney tunes #36.

Looneytunes36.jpg

Thanks for posting the seasonal covers.

I loved them. :applause:

And while I have the Ducks out... How about a nice proof of some Barks art. From Four Color 147.

bb

Very cool. :applause: I know that's October's favorite story that he read a billion times as a kid. I just read it myself for the first time last month.