• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I posted this in the Cigar Thread, but with all the ERB-philes that frequent this thread I thought there might be some appreciation for it here. This has been one of the toughest books I've ever tried to acquire - harder than John Carter cover Funnies issues which were also pretty tough. It's taken me four years to finally secure a copy. It's beat but I love it! :banana:

Hi-Spot02GDfcsm.jpg

Jeff, way to go! :golfclap:

(I was looking for one for you, but I have never seen it)

Thanks Steve it's definiately a tough one - thats why I'm tickled pink to even find this low grade copy. (thumbs u

Now, as per BZ's request I scanned the David Innes story, but first a little background courtest of ERBzine.com:

http://www.erbzine.com/mag3/0348.html

Dave Innes of Pellucidar in the Comics

By late 1939, with both TARZAN and JOHN CARTER OF MARS earning royalties from comic books, the next natural Burroughs series to adapt to the comics would be his Pellucidar stories. Burroughs suggested to Western Printing (Whitman’s publishing arm in Racine) that John Coleman Burroughs be retained to do the artwork for a DAVE INNES OF PELLUCIDAR feature which would run regularly in one of their monthly comic books.

Possibly as a test, it was decided to have John Coleman Burroughs write and draw a 20-page story to be featured as part of a one-shot comic...but the one-shot comic never materialized and instead the first 12 pages of this 20-page story were published in an obscure, badly-distributed comic book called HI-SPOT #2 (November, 1940). Because of the understandably poor sales, there was never another issue of HI-SPOT comics, and the 12 pages of DAVE INNES OF PELLUCIDAR in this issue were the only ones ever published in the medium of the comics.

Following the appearance of these pages in HI-SPOT #2, Western asked John Coleman Burroughs to write and draw two six-page stories of DAVE INNES OF PELLUCIDAR, which would be worked into one of their comic books, possibly SUPER comics. These twelve pages of artwork were done and are presented here, along with the final eight pages of the original 20-page story. (The original artwork for the first 12 pages of the first story was destroyed long ago by Western).

In early 1940, Dell Publishing wanted to create an image as a reliable publisher of wholesome comics for children. They especially wanted to push their funny animal comics… the Disney comics, Walt Kelly comics, etc... and did not want to be in the superhero business in competition with all the other comic book publishers. The Burroughs comics, TARZAN, JOHN CARTER OF MARS, and DAVE INNES OF PELLUCIDAR, were all of the type they wanted to phase out in favor of more in the Disney-type comics which nobody could object to.

By early 1941 the decision had been made that DAVE INNES OF PELLUCIDAR would not be continued and that JOHN CARTER OF MARS would be discontinued from THE FUNNIES, and in August of 1941 CRACKAJACK comics (also from Western Printing) dropped the TARZAN daily strips they had been reprinting. By the end of 1941 all ERB features had been dropped by Western, but of course United Features was still reprinting TARZAN Sunday pages in SPARKLER and TIP TOP comics.

The following is reproduced for educational purposes. :cool:

DavidInnes01sm.jpg

DavidInnes02sm.jpg

DavidInnes03sm.jpg

DavidInnes04sm.jpg

DavidInnes05sm.jpg

DavidInnes06sm.jpg

DavidInnes07sm.jpg

DavidInnes08sm.jpg

DavidInnes09sm.jpg

DavidInnes10sm.jpg

DavidInnes11sm.jpg

DavidInnes12sm.jpg

Great story! Thank's for posting it!

Yeah, too bad it cuts off in the middle. :(

In the late-60s, House of Greystoke published a book that reprints all of JCB's Pellucidar work, including the missing 8 pages from this story and the 12 unpublished pages he did for Western/Dell. I've never seen a copy for sale, but now I want one even more so I can finish reading this story! :pullhair:

Jeff

In the late-60s, House of Greystoke published a book that reprints all of JCB's Pellucidar work, including the missing 8 pages from this story and the 12 unpublished pages he did for Western/Dell. I've never seen a copy for sale, but now I want one even more so I can finish reading this story! :pullhair:

Jeff

Google Fu, dude.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/ListingDetails?bi=254353464&cm_mmc=gbase-_-us-_-gbase-_-254353464

Jeff

Google Fu, dude.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/ListingDetails?bi=254353464&cm_mmc=gbase-_-us-_-gbase-_-254353464

hm

Jeff

Hopefully the missing eight pages has Dave putting his pants back on. Those baggy briefs were not very stylish.

I posted this in the Cigar Thread, but with all the ERB-philes that frequent this thread I thought there might be some appreciation for it here. This has been one of the toughest books I've ever tried to acquire - harder than John Carter cover Funnies issues which were also pretty tough. It's taken me four years to finally secure a copy. It's beat but I love it! :banana:

Hi-Spot02GDfcsm.jpg

And here's the back cover for those who have never seen the artwork of John Coleman Burroughs, ERB's son.

Hi-Spot02GDbcsm.jpg

The only copy of this book I've ever owned was the Windy City copy - and it was a beauty! Would love to have that baby now!

Jeff

Hopefully the missing eight pages has Dave putting his pants back on. Those baggy briefs were not very stylish.

What are talking about? Boxer-briefs are back in style. David was ahead of his time! :cool:

Jeff

DavidInnes01sm.jpg

Jeff, thanks for posting the scans. :applause:

The story has gotten me more interested in rereading some of ERB's work.

JCB's artwork is better than I remembered.

I noticed that the Hi-Spot logo was also used for Red Ryder Comics # 1.

redryder1GA.jpg

Isn't Hi-Spot actually Red Ryder 2? Or something like that?

Yes (thumbs u . The Red Ryder numbering continues with #3.

Isn't Hi-Spot actually Red Ryder 2? Or something like that?

Yes (thumbs u . The Red Ryder numbering continues with #3.

Exactly. That has me wondering though - BZ is your Red Ryder #1 from the original owner collection and do you have 3 and up as well, but no Hi Spot 2? The reason I ask is because I've often wondered if there was a distribution problem with the Hi-Spot 2.

Jeff

BZ is your Red Ryder #1 from the original owner collection and do you have 3 and up as well, but no Hi Spot 2? The reason I ask is because I've often wondered if there was a distribution problem with the Hi-Spot 2.

Jeff

Yes, the Red Ryder 1 is one of comics from the collection I purchased in 1973. In fact, the original owner's initials are written on the comic.

You may be right about the poor distribution for Hi-Spot 2.

Included in the collection were Red Ryder #'s 1, 3-5. Unfortunately there was no Hi-Spot.

For latecomers to this thread, the collection Jeff referred to is a large original owner collection I purchased in the early 70's.

Many of the earlier comics have the name of the store where the comics were originally purchased rubber stamped on the back cover.

CampbellBrosComic1GA.jpg

In 1988 I sought out the address and took a few photos of the now vacant building.

CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

I also took a photo of the original owner's house.

WTGHouseGA.jpg

1767280368_9dc6b6a28b_b.jpg

Speaking of Red Ryder I think I have a couple. His Sunday pages were very nice when they were full size. But I like the comics too and yes I had one of these things advertised on the back cover.

1767278992_fed0b11695_b.jpg

But I really liked the painted covers. Reminds me of Paul Cezanne.

bb

1766435311_b9841d511b_b.jpg

It's been a while I showed some Centaur goodness. Here's the Shark - 46802-AM10-S1.jpg

Great scans, Scrooge. Thanks:applause:

Another center of the earth story, eh?

How very clever of you to have found it.

Perfect timing. cheers.gif