• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's another example of a GA story that's a good romping fun but makes little sense. I think this crowd will like it lol -

Marvel Mystery # 18

47028-MMC18-E3.jpg

I love the artwork. :applause:

Who the heck is Steve Dahlman?

His "evil creatures" really do look like a Wolverton creation.

spacepatrolpg3.jpg

Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 # 12 ( December 1939)

Does anyone have any other Halloween covers? Halloween_Smiley_49.gif

Little Lulu had a nice run of Halloween (and other holiday / seasonal theme) covers early on. This is my favorite fall cover which has Halloween on the side

lulu16.jpg

Gorgeous copy, Richard. :applause:

Do you collect any Dell titles?

Thanks BZ.

I collect Pogo, Animal and other Pogo related stuff.

I also love the early Looney Tunes, but unfortunately don't have many.

And Tarzan!

(Shoot, I would love to have everything Dell ever published...but I think world peace would be a more obtainable goal.)

Gorgeous copy, Richard. :applause:

Do you collect any Dell titles?

Thanks BZ.

I collect Pogo, Animal and other Pogo related stuff.

My favorites too, although I only have a few Animal Comics.

Only slightly off-topic, do you have all the Simon & Schuster Pogo books as well? (I do and am slowly reading now the ones I've never gotten to. Great stuff!) Do you have the Fantagraphic reprints? Is there any reason (from a content, not completist, point of view) to get those on top of a set of S&S books? And while I'm rambling, how are the Our Gang reprint books? Will Kelly's Fairy Tale Parade books ever get reprinted? You'd think those could be big sellers in the children's book market!

I also love the early Looney Tunes, but unfortunately don't have many.

Sniffles and Mary Jane!

And Tarzan!

(Shoot, I would love to have everything Dell ever published...but I think world peace would be a more obtainable goal.)

Slouching back toward topic -- do you have primo copies of the Four Color Pogo books? I think we've seen (some of) your Fairy Tale Parades.

Jack

And while I'm rambling, how are the Our Gang reprint books?

hm I have both volumes but only have read volume 1 so far. It was a fun read for the most part. The cartooning is excellent as can be assumed with Kelly. Bobpfef tells me the stories get better as the run goes ... I guess I'm due to read volume 2 and report here about my findings ... As for the quality of production, the editors decided to maintain the comic book look which in intent is fun but in actuality leads to poor reproduction at times if the source material was off-register. Still, having these stories in color in an attractive small format is a blessing.

Only slightly off-topic, do you have all the Simon & Schuster Pogo books as well? (I do and am slowly reading now the ones I've never gotten to. Great stuff!) Do you have the Fantagraphic reprints? Is there any reason (from a content, not completist, point of view) to get those on top of a set of S&S books?

Jack

I do have all the S&S Pogo's. I don't have the Fantagraphics but I believe they do have some additional material. The S&S books edited down the strip and the Fantagraphics books fill in most of that edited material.

Also check out the Rainbow Press hardcovers. They came out in the late '70s and had beautiful dust jackets. Not much new material but the format was awesome for the bookshelf. They were reprinted in the late '90s in blue leather bound editions w/o dust jackets.

And while I'm rambling, how are the Our Gang reprint books?

hm I have both volumes but only have read volume 1 so far. It was a fun read for the most part. The cartooning is excellent as can be assumed with Kelly. Bobpfef tells me the stories get better as the run goes ... I guess I'm due to read volume 2 and report here about my findings ... As for the quality of production, the editors decided to maintain the comic book look which in intent is fun but in actuality leads to poor reproduction at times if the source material was off-register. Still, having these stories in color in an attractive small format is a blessing.

Yeah, what he said :/

The later stories are serials, from 2 issues to upto about 6 issues in length. The characters grow up and some move away during the course of the series. Some newcomers arrive, either by moving into town or graduating from someone's little tag-along brother or sister to more full fledged participants. The the issues in the 20's none of the original characters are left. It was as if Kelly had to use the Our Gang kids for the films, but tired of them and wanted to create his own characters. I find it interesting to see how the whole series evolves, and there is a real sense of time, not something you often find in kids comics. The stories are of the kid gang type, but they often shocked me with a sense of real danger the kids were often in. Lots of guns, knifeplay, kidnapping, dirty-dealing, etc.

Only slightly off-topic, do you have all the Simon & Schuster Pogo books as well? (I do and am slowly reading now the ones I've never gotten to. Great stuff!) Do you have the Fantagraphic reprints? Is there any reason (from a content, not completist, point of view) to get those on top of a set of S&S books?

I do have all the S&S Pogo's. I don't have the Fantagraphics but I believe they do have some additional material. The S&S books edited down the strip and the Fantagraphics books fill in most of that edited material.

Also check out the Rainbow Press hardcovers. They came out in the late '70s and had beautiful dust jackets. Not much new material but the format was awesome for the bookshelf. They were reprinted in the late '90s in blue leather bound editions w/o dust jackets.

Are Rainbow Press similar to Jonas/Winter Inc. editions? My "Deck Us All.." (1994) from them matches that description -- the originals cost more than I was willing to pay.

Maybe I'll pick up the Fantagraphic books some day. I don't even know what number they're on!

I've always been a dullard when it comes to history and politics, yet I really enjoy trying to decode some of the caricatures and events in Pogo.

Jack

And while I'm rambling, how are the Our Gang reprint books? ...

The later stories are serials, from 2 issues to upto about 6 issues in length. The characters grow up and some move away during the course of the series. Some newcomers arrive, either by moving into town or graduating from someone's little tag-along brother or sister to more full fledged participants. The the issues in the 20's none of the original characters are left. It was as if Kelly had to use the Our Gang kids for the films, but tired of them and wanted to create his own characters. I find it interesting to see how the whole series evolves, and there is a real sense of time, not something you often find in kids comics. The stories are of the kid gang type, but they often shocked me with a sense of real danger the kids were often in. Lots of guns, knifeplay, kidnapping, dirty-dealing, etc.

Wow! I thought they were light comedy like the short films!

The books just moved up my want list.

Sounds almost like Little Wise Guys (not that I read a lot of those either).

Thanks,

Jack

I don't have the Fantagraphics but I believe they do have some additional material. The S&S books edited down the strip and the Fantagraphics books fill in most of that edited material.

Maybe I'll pick up the Fantagraphic books some day. I don't even know what number they're on!

Jack

You guys are confusing me. I plan on buying the "new" Fantagraphics collection hard covers of the Complete Daily & Sunday strips. You guys are talking about the out-of-print softcovers, right? Has the new collection volume already shipped? Richard, do you know? Surprisingly I don't recall ever seeing it solicited through Diamond. Have I missed it?

Does anyone have any other Halloween covers? Halloween_Smiley_49.gif

Little Lulu had a nice run of Halloween (and other holiday / seasonal theme) covers early on. This is my favorite fall cover which has Halloween on the side

lulu16.jpg

Very nice Little Lulu cover. Looney Tunes also had a lot of Great Seasonal covers. Similar to Little Lulu, this is Looney tunes #36.

Looneytunes36.jpg