• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I wonder if the plot was inspired by the 1931 film, Trader Horn?

traderhorn.jpg

BZ, your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Here's more info about Trader Horn and another pic. It seems that Van Dyke re-used some of his shot-on-location jungle scenes / background in the editing of his 1932 Tarzan, the Ape Man. (thumbs u

54761-TraderHorn-Info.jpg.ae055222b978c2cafe3366d139761dee.jpg

Hello BZ,

Congratulations on such a wonderful Golden Age collection. Don't recall if you have answered this already but do you actually own an Action Comics #1? If not, is it currently on your collecting radar? If you do own one, what grade would you estimate it to be?? Thank you and once again I am completely in awe of such a magnificent collection of items you have attained (thumbs u !!

[

I wonder if the plot was inspired by the 1931 film, Trader Horn?

traderhorn.jpg

BZ,

I enjoyed Trader Horn when I saw it years ago. I believe it was a Harry Carey film but it was a little too early to inspire Sheena. I think Tarzan was probably a bigger inspiration if you ignore the gender differences (Jungle Stories Make Money). Probably Miss O'Sullivan's costume was the actual inspiration for Sheena more than Weissmuller or Crabbe or the Trader Horn story. Buster's co-star was a blonde but I don't have a photo.

Trader Horn was a successful movie which saved Harry Carey's career. I enjoyed his work in John Wayne westerns too, like Red River. His son was also in the movie and as part of the story was killed in a stampede. At the end of the movie he came back as a hired gun, with a little extra makeup.

bb

2343040876_00963bc655_o.jpg

Apologies to Scrooge,

I noticed his post also mentions Harry Carey in Trader Horn, with a picture! OK, when I get in scanning mode I can ignore everything including the obvious scene in front of my nose.

bb

PS My scan was from Tarzan of the Movies by Gabe Essoe (1968).

Here's the interior page of Terry Toons 38 showing Mighty Mouse's 1st. Have we pinpointed the artist that did these early issues. Not to compare it to Barks, but it really is above the norm for funny animal art. You can really tell when an artist actually cares, as opposed to just whipping out product.

tt38b.jpg

Here's the interior page of Terry Toons 38 showing Mighty Mouse's 1st. Have we pinpointed the artist that did these early issues. Not to compare it to Barks, but it really is above the norm for funny animal art. You can really tell when an artist actually cares, as opposed to just whipping out product.

tt38b.jpg

Nice paper. :baiting:

Apologies to Scrooge,

I noticed his post also mentions Harry Carey in Trader Horn, with a picture! OK, when I get in scanning mode I can ignore everything including the obvious scene in front of my nose.

bb

PS My scan was from Tarzan of the Movies by Gabe Essoe (1968).

No apologies needed. Your previous was superb (thumbs u

My scan was from The MGM Story by Doug Eames (1975).

I'm not discounting the obvious influence of Tarzan.

I just think the striking similarities to Trader Horn's plot may be indications of a more direct link to that source.

IMDB Plot Summary:

"While on safari in an unexplored area of Africa, Trader Horn and Peru find missionary Edith Trent killed by natives. They decide to carry on her quest for her lost daughter Nina. They find her as the queen of a particularly savage tribe, and try to bring her back to civilization."

Compare that description to the Sheena origin.

2338705881_32cd000928_b.jpg

2339492366_42deed1340_b.jpg

It looks like Rocket Kelly but as far as where it appeared ... it's tougher since he was in many different books: All Great, Book of All Comics, The Bouncer, The Green Mask, Rocket Kelly and Tegra. I'll guess this one comes from The Green Mask. Am I any close? (shrug)

Parking Garage Comics #27?

Isn't that a Copper Age comic? :makepoint:

Sorry.

Parking Garage Adventures #27.

My Gerber Guides are at home so I couldn't check them for the exact title.