• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I love that bottom left panel.

It's got drama, pathos, humor, political intrigue and a figure in a glass tube. lol

Roy Lichenstein should have painted it.

So true, BZ!!

I pulled this scan off Heritage ... what you CAN'T see, because I had to reduce the resolution in order to post here, is the beauty of the dots of color making up the panels.

Sometimes I'll use the magnifying glass on my desk lamp to look at my GA books, and really get in there to see the detail. Brings another level to the printed page.

He also did a nice little strip in October 1939...

MARVEL1torchsplashPOST.jpg

I love that bottom left panel.

It's got drama, pathos, humor, political intrigue (and a person in a glass tube). lol

Roy Lichenstein should have painted it.

It's even an element page!

Jack

Maybe I'll get around to shooting a few pages from his early "Iron Skull" feature.

Love his work on "White Streak" (TARGET COMICS) too!!

Ryan, I'd love to see some "Iron Skull" or "White Streak" pages posted. :wishluck:

Until I can shoot my own books, here is a page pulled from Ebay (Target #9):

TARGET9splash.jpg

And a partial scan of a WHITE STREAK story from Target #7 (wanted to preserve the spine on this book, so only outer panels are scanned):

TARGET7interiorpost.jpg

I pulled this scan off Heritage ... what you CAN'T see, because I had to reduce the resolution in order to post here, is the beauty of the dots of color making up the panels.

Sometimes I'll use the magnifying glass on my desk lamp to look at my GA books, and really get in there to see the detail. Brings another level to the printed page.

I know what you mean. I like to look at giant size scans/photos of pages on my PC. You almost get the illusion that you're looking through a window into a strange alternate world. lol

And a partial scan of a WHITE STREAK story from Target #7 (wanted to preserve the spine on this book, so only outer panels are scanned):

Thanks, Ryan.

I don't want to risk damaging my books either, so I almost never scan interior pages.

I place the comic in a open book or magazine (to prevent the comic from opening too wide) and then photograph the pages. It works out pretty good.

I know what you mean. I like to look at giant size scans/photos of pages on my PC. You almost get the illusion that you're looking through a window into a strange alternate world. lol

The red inks seem to pop off the page under the magnifying glass, giving the page a slightly three-D effect!

Or, is it just me? :screwy:

Thanks, Ryan.

I don't want to risk damaging my books either, so I almost never scan interior pages.

I place the comic in a open book or magazine (to prevent the comic from opening too wide) and then photograph the pages. It works out pretty good.

I've been photographing the pages vs. scanning lately as well ... the open book/mag tip is great, thanks!

I discovered I have a story sitting in my files that I've never posted.

But first...

Can you identify the artist of the panel pictured below? (If you're feeling especially brilliant today, name the strip, too.)

quiz25_1.jpg

This is going to be easy. :gossip:

Maybe I'll get around to shooting a few pages from his early "Iron Skull" feature.

Love his work on "White Streak" (TARGET COMICS) too!!

Ryan, I'd love to see some "Iron Skull" or "White Streak" pages posted. :wishluck:

:shy:

55750-T2-WS1.jpg.734712e285cfa6ed6b3783c79a5abb9b.jpg

55751-T2-WS2.jpg.25c5ac882a3198dc0af5b86018b004ed.jpg

55752-T2-WS3.jpg.d179f450c43a674987d9620f938309da.jpg

55753-T2-WS4.jpg.e27f24707b6a959c4d25fddcbc3986ac.jpg

55754-T2-WS5.jpg.ecedd98453069566a5ee7f2e5aca02f8.jpg

55755-T2-WS6.jpg.d6ff4233c2db0fd8d7f76a425edc4b6d.jpg

55750-T2-WS1.jpg

55751-T2-WS2.jpg

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Thanks, Scrooge.

I'm impressed with Burgos' layouts.

He had to deal with a lot of text in that story and I think he did a stunning job of varying the readers viewpoint of the action to keep things interesting.

Very nice.

You talk about layout ... the Iron Skull story drawn earlier (published Oct. 1939) is a lot more dynamic than the White Streak story from March 1940.

One thing about Burgos that cracks me up is that I always had this vision of an artist from South America or some such place only to recently discover that his given birth name was MAX FINKELSTEIN lol It fits much better the typical profile of early GA artist. (thumbs u