• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Have you ever wondered who Jerry Siegel's favorite authors were when he was a youngster?

What magazines did he read?

The letter reprinted below was written by Jerry to the editors of Amazing Stories when he was 14 years old. He was obviously very passionate about writing even at that young age.

jerrysiegel_1.jpg

jerrysiegel_2.jpg

BZ,

Really interesting letter. Jerry always seemed very bright due to all of his stories and creations. It is interesting to see what he read as a teenager. It reminds me of Asimov who grew up reading and writing science fiction as a teenager. He did have that chemistry sideline that took away from his creative years but we can't blame Isaac for that. By the way did you ever find one of these paintings by Paul?

bb

2407597494_1b0e65262a_b.jpg

from SWS V1#6.

2407597360_2feaf9a09c_b.jpg

Interlude in the new Pop Quiz. Patience was rewarded today as my local half-price books got in several volumes of the Flying Buttress Tarzan hardcovers so I was able to buy volumes: 7, 8, 9, 11 and 14 (already had 10 and 15) so I'm filling out the Hogarth run slowly :banana:

Here are a couple of pages. My cr@ppy scanner doesn't handle the oversized volumes very well :sorry:

56526-Hogarth-v7-Vines.jpg.2fba1b33eb23f2459d5495a26783f7f8.jpg

56527-Hogarth-Molocar-1.jpg.a354a84a7c95b8930537997931e3d7b6.jpg

56528-Hogarth-Molocar-2.jpg.ab33b3df1119c92c95eb4702a40ac94a.jpg

56529-Hogarth-v11-1.jpg.912b9d9651f40c5b3d7189248cd48e01.jpg

56530-Hogarth-v11-2.jpg.e5a34d2c234c59cc2dd920164cdc91cf.jpg

56531-Hogarth-v11-3.jpg.6dedfa454f0e972dd227a7418b10da9e.jpg

Great #3?

great3fc.jpg

:golfclap: :golfclap:

Good Job Mr. B. I wasn't even close. I was just starting to go look at Feature Books (thinking Phantom cause of the skulls) and might have passed by it in Gerber but I don't think I would have been able to pick it out. If you got one, then it probably helps. I can't wait to see BZ's copy. What is the highest graded copy? 8.0 is pretty good for a rare book isn't it?

BB-gun

Nice book Scrooge! I have a bunch of Sunday pages by Hogarth and a book that he published with original material. I really enjoyed the Sunday pages with Tarzan on the top and Superman on the bottom half.

BB

Good Job Mr. B. I wasn't even close. I was just starting to go look at Feature Books (thinking Phantom cause of the skulls) and might have passed by it in Gerber but I don't think I would have been able to pick it out. If you got one, then it probably helps. I can't wait to see BZ's copy. What is the highest graded copy? 8.0 is pretty good for a rare book isn't it?

BB-gun

Thanks BB. Something about the snake head looked familiar, but the skulls don't show up in the Gerber. I had to check my copy to see if they were there. Don't know about the census but Metro supposedly has the Mile High copy graded as a vf-nm unslabbed. BZ's copy is VERY pretty!

BB-gun

Thanks BB. Something about the snake head looked familiar, but the skulls don't show up in the Gerber. I had to check my copy to see if they were there. Don't know about the census but Metro supposedly has the Mile High copy graded as a vf-nm unslabbed. BZ's copy is VERY pretty!

Wow, congrats! That was a tough one. :golfclap:

BB-gun

:frustrated: You mean Bangzoom listed a book in his pop quiz that I ACTUALLY have and I completely missed it? :frustrated:

BB-gun

:frustrated: You mean Bangzoom listed a book in his pop quiz that I ACTUALLY have and I completely missed it? :frustrated:

And to add insult to injury, I'm using as my current avatar. :sorry:

And to add insult to injury, I'm using as my current avatar.

Nice avatar! :makepoint: