• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

This image is from the cover of what GA cover?

quiz26_1.jpg

Here's another clue.

quiz26_2.jpg

This face should help you.

quiz26_3.jpg

Looks like Top-Notch 8

^^

Congratulations, BB.

wee.gifwee.gifwee.gif

BZ,

I went looking for a scan from an issue five of a golden age comic but couldn't find one I liked. But I found a silver age number five. The Challengers were really a group of five if you count June. Hey, Susan Storm counted and she was invisible. Anyway to boost my ego and celebrate my fifth win (guess), here is a pretty good splash by Kirby and Wood.

bb

2401465689_b7192a584b_o.jpg

BZ,

That is another nice looking MLJ book. Does your collection include Pep 22? I really like early Montana art. I think his super heroes were great and I like Archie too. I could spend months reading all of the MLJ books. Some I could read again. The Skull stories seemed to be continued forever, like the Joker and Dr. Doom.

BB

BB, you've done great in the quizzes since you came on the scene late last year. The only two people who have done better in that period of time are Scrooge with 7 wins and selegue with 6.

The winners thus far this year are:

1 - Point Five

2 - MrBedrock

3 - buttock

4 - Scrooge

5 - RyanH

6 - adamstrange

7 - Scrooge

8 - selegue

9 - adamstrange

10 - Scrooge

11 - selegue

12 - selegue

13 - RyanH & Scrooge

14 - RyanH

15 - Scrooge

16 - october

17 - Scrooge

18 - BB-Gun

19 - selegue

20 - sacentaur

21 - sacentaur

22 - RyanH

23 - Point Five

24 - BB-Gun

25 - RyanH

26 - BB-Gun

The top three winners this year are:

Scrooge - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

RyanH - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

selegue - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

Great books - both of them!

IIRC Blue Ribbon 7 is one of the books we reviewed in the Dead Artists thread. I seem to remember someone comenting that the cover is the best part. :)

It is, great cover and Top Notch 8 is a great book with the origin of Roy the Superboy. A great read. MLJ....you gotta love 'em!

Edited by The_Black_Hand

BZ,

I really like early Montana art. I think his super heroes were great and I like Archie too. I could spend months reading all of the MLJ books. Some I could read again. The Skull stories seemed to be continued forever, like the Joker and Dr. Doom.

BB

I've only recently begun paying close attention to the MLJ line and I've been pleasantly surprised at how good they are. They had some terrific artists working for them.

Earlier you posted the splash page from a Hangman story. Here's another page from the same story to serve as an example of what is in some of those issues.

I love it.

hangman.jpg

scan courtesy of goldcomics.com

BB, you've done great in the quizzes since you came on the scene late last year. The only two people who have done better in that period of time are Scrooge with 7 wins and selegue with 6.

The winners thus far this year are:

1 - Point Five

2 - MrBedrock

3 - buttock

4 - Scrooge

5 - RyanH

6 - adamstrange

7 - Scrooge

8 - selegue

9 - adamstrange

10 - Scrooge

11 - selegue

12 - selegue

13 - RyanH & Scrooge

14 - RyanH

15 - Scrooge

16 - october

17 - Scrooge

18 - BB-Gun

19 - selegue

20 - sacentaur

21 - sacentaur

22 - RyanH

23 - Point Five

24 - BB-Gun

25 - RyanH

26 - BB-Gun

The top three winners this year are:

Scrooge - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

RyanH - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

selegue - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

and Gator = ZERO :frustrated:

but, congrats to Everyone else :foryou:

I would have done better if I had had time to look at the Top-Notch on the GCD. I went and looked at Zip and Pep then stopped. It did look like a MLJ. Congrats to BB. :applause:

I started with Zip too :cry:

:golfclap:

I think the Land That Time Forgot was one of the few ERB novels that I read as a teenager. I love the U-boat vs dinosaurs Amazing cover. I wonder what happened to my edition of the book. Well it probably was not a first edition since I remember it was red (and well read).

bb

I would have done better if I had had time to look at the Top-Notch on the GCD. I went and looked at Zip and Pep then stopped. It did look like a MLJ. Congrats to BB. :applause:

I started with Zip too :cry:

I'm embarassed that I missed that one, must have been over in one of the screaming threads.

Shifting the spotlight from the world famous Edgar Rice Burroughs to the forgotten, Neil Ronald Jones.

According to Wikipedia: The first known use of the term "astronaut" in the modern sense was by Neil R. Jones in his short story, The Death's Head Meteor.

airwonder.jpg

airwonder2.jpg

"He also pioneered cyborg and robotic characters, and is credited with inspiring the modern idea of Cryonics. Most of his stories fit into a "future history" like that of Robert A. Heinlein or Cordwainer Smith, well before either of them used this convention in their fiction."

airwonder3.jpg

Have you ever wondered who Jerry Siegel's favorite authors were when he was a youngster?

What magazines did he read?

The letter reprinted below was written by Jerry to the editors of Amazing Stories when he was 14 years old. He was obviously very passionate about writing even at that young age.

jerrysiegel_1.jpg

jerrysiegel_2.jpg

Thanks, BZ! That's a very thoughtful letter from the budding writer.