• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Hey BZ, do you have any Arthur Conan Doyle stuff?

Yes, I have a couple boxes of Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes related material; but all of it is has been stashed somewhere so far out of the way, I haven't seen it in many years. :(

Great pulps, BB. :applause:

I think that's the first Pocket Detective I've ever seen.

Thanks BZ,

I picked those up from the back of a truck with some shadow and Feds pulps. They were cheap since I had bought the guys western comics collection. I love all of those ME westerns but I think the pulps were a bargain. I picked these comics up at the flea market too.

bb

2455309780_445ac35665_b.jpg

2454481885_82a3157551_b.jpg

I picked these comics up at the flea market too.

Btw, every time you mention this mystical flea market, I am sick with envy. You're posting interesting stuff for sure but I want to know where that flea market is. Of course, when would also be an interesting question and if I need a time machine to attend, I might as well use it to go straight to the printers (yes, those that would use their time machine to go to the newsstands are :screwy:. Me, straight to the printing press).

Btw, every time you mention this mystical flea market, I am sick with envy. You're posting interesting stuff for sure but I want to know where that flea market is. Of course, when would also be an interesting question and if I need a time machine to attend, I might as well use it to go straight to the printers (yes, those that would use their time machine to go to the newsstands are :screwy:. Me, straight to the printing press).

Scrooge,

Most of the comics and pulps that I have were purchased since 1995. Since I live on the east coast, I have gone to flea markets in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York (including Manhattan) and Florida. They are all well known to antique collectors and toy collectors (like Noah from the antique road show). Some flea markets were better than others. I think the competition with ebay has made it all a little more difficult but I am sure there are bargains out there. Sometimes you pay too much like for platinum age stuff. A rare Mutt and Jeff may not be worth as much as a Donald Duck or an All Star. Near Mint original Classic Comics can be found at low prices but low grade 15th edition classics can also be found at the same price. I only made one really large purchase but the condition of the comics were low (a few near mints) and I had to sell the best ones (Suspense 3, Captain America 4 and Thrilling 41) due to the expense. But I have a lot of other comics, pulps, BLB and badges that I have kept.

bb

P.S. I bought this Daring from the back of a pick up truck. The former owner collects toy cap pistols but he wasn't interested in collecting comics. There is some spine damage on this one too. Send me a note if you are still curious about the names of these flea markets.

2453286844_28ac483d5e_b.jpg

I liked the cover of this Whiz Bang and the paper quality is good. Earlier issues didn't have much color on the cover and they used some cheaper paper. I only have three issues. I liked CEO a little more because there were more cartoons (and art by Carl Barks).

bb

2455070719_3992f5da8f_o.jpg

Scrooge,

Most of the comics and pulps that I have were purchased since 1995. Since I live on the east coast, I have gone to flea markets in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York (including Manhattan) and Florida. They are all well known to antique collectors and toy collectors (like Noah from the antique road show). Some flea markets were better than others. I think the competition with ebay has made it all a little more difficult but I am sure there are bargains out there. Sometimes you pay too much like for platinum age stuff. A rare Mutt and Jeff may not be worth as much as a Donald Duck or an All Star. Near Mint original Classic Comics can be found at low prices but low grade 15th edition classics can also be found at the same price. I only made one really large purchase but the condition of the comics were low (a few near mints) and I had to sell the best ones (Suspense 3, Captain America 4 and Thrilling 41) due to the expense. But I have a lot of other comics, pulps, BLB and badges that I have kept.

bb

Most of my collection came from flea markets (hence the name). I can't afford to buy these from heritage, clink, etc but I am able to put in a lot of time and detective work into hunting down comics. I also set up at a local flea market once a week and network with as many vendors as possible because they are always out there at garage sales and auctions and they know they can flip their finds to me for a quick profit. These were all flea market purchases within the last year or so. Because of the weather in Florida, flea markets are pretty much a year-round opportunity. My weekly outings aren't always fruitful, but the thrill of the chase keeps me going. :cloud9:

fleamarketstuff.jpg

Flee,

Thanks for the information. As I said there are still some bargains out there but a lot of people that go to flea markets, know the value of their books. A lot don't and expect too much. I always enjoyed finding something new but never liked negotiating with a dealer that thinks his VG- is near mint. But you win and lose. Wear a hat down there in Florida. The sun can be brutal. My friend developed skin cancer and moved to Oregon where the sun doesn't shine as much and the whales feed just off shore in the summer time.

bb

fleamarketstuff.jpg

Outstanding comics you've found, Flee. :applause:

My best haul from a flea market in recent years was a stack of Dells (TV show tie-ins) with the cover logos clipped.

BH started a thread yesterday posing the question about "best reading from the GA."

The Dells weren't from the GA, but they certainly had some of the most consistently top-notch stories I've ever read. I enjoyed them all.

2459500191_24f4391762_b.jpg

I picked up this Captain Easy at the flea market but I wondered whether Schomburg did some of the interior art. Each story of Easy and Oop has a nice splash panel which isn't a blown up version of a panel from the Sunday page. Does anyone know whether Xela did them or some other guy. It wasn't Crane or Hamlin I think.

bb

They don't look like Schomburg to me. (shrug)

Your post prompted me to take out my copy and I'm really happy I did. It reminded me of how spectacular Roy Crane's artwork was. I especially enjoyed his jungle scenes in the "Denizens of Doom" and "Jungle Jackpot" chapters.

Scrooge,

bb

P.S. I bought this Daring from the back of a pick up truck. The former owner collects toy cap pistols but he wasn't interested in collecting comics. There is some spine damage on this one too. Send me a note if you are still curious about the names of these flea markets.

Did you read this issue? How come the Japanese guys have thier own guys strung up over the sharks?

Did you read this issue? How come the Japanese guys have thier own guys strung up over the sharks?

I don't remember the story but I thought that the guys hanging over the sharks were Chinese. If I remember correctly, the Japanese invaded the mainland during WWII and were in control of the country until the Allies defeated them and liberated the country. Brief freedom before the communist take over. I will go back and check the story one of these days.

bb

250px-Soviet_volunteer.jpg

They don't look like Schomburg to me. (shrug)

Your post prompted me to take out my copy and I'm really happy I did. It reminded me of how spectacular Roy Crane's artwork was. I especially enjoyed his jungle scenes in the "Denizens of Doom" and "Jungle Jackpot" chapters.

2459905653_970293ef16_b.jpg

BZ,

You are probably correct. I still think that they are done by someone else but it isn't very similar to Schomburg unless he was imitating Crane. Too much speculation there and we probably don't have records. Crane's work was really good. I think I posted this half of a strip a while back.

bb

2319219088_84aa041c6f_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun