• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

great description of Cranes drawing techniques. I believe Ben Day was a system of treated boards and matching chemicals. The boards had dots and/or crosshatched lines printed on them with an invisible ink. And teh artist would use the matching chemicals with a bush, and wherever they painted, the dot/crosshatch effect would appear. Apparently this was a "state of the art" time saver for artists and assistant so that they wouldnt have to do all that laborious inking. A lot of sports cartoonists used it too as it was a simple (and cheap way) to get a halftone effect without paying extra for film and masking combo work. When you were done, you had a finished line art piece that was camera ready but had the visual appeal of screned work.

Years later, Letraset created press-on textures that did the same time-saving thing. Cerebus was created using press on textures for Cerebus's greytoned fur. Sim used different sized dots for closeups and small far away sized Cerebus figures. The effect was as if his fur was actually dots that looked bigger or smaller depending on how far away from you Cerebus was.

Looking back at the pages I can see how being in control of the greytones himself freed him up to explore his backgrounds, as you say. He could see what he had done each step of the way and not have to use overlays and guess how theyd come back

weirdtales2.jpg

The July 1925 Weird Tales contains Robert E. Howard's first published story, "Spear and Fang."

Howard's second published story, "In the Forest of Villefere," appears in the August issue.

:o(worship) Awesome pulps, Bangzoom! Did you already post your 1st Conan (Dec 1932, I think) yet? If not, I would love to see any of the Conan issues you have. (thumbs u

Did you already post your 1st Conan (Dec 1932, I think) yet?

I posted it last year but I'm happy to do it again.

The first Conan story ever published appeared, as you noted, in the December 1932 issue.

weirdtales193212.jpg

These images are from the cover of what GA comic?

quiz29_1.jpg

quiz29_2.jpg

Here's another image from the cover.

quiz29_3.jpg

This will probably be the last clue for the evening. I'll post more images tomorrow if no one guesses the comic tonight.

quiz29_4.jpg

The second Conan story appeared Weird Tales, January 1933.

weirdtales193301.jpg

The original art to this cover is in the Hendrix Experience Museum in Seattle - it is absolutely spectacular - anybody in that area should check it out!

quiz29_1.jpg

quiz29_2.jpg

quiz29_3.jpg

This will probably be the last clue for the evening. I'll post more images tomorrow if no one guesses the comic tonight.

quiz29_4.jpg

That last picture made me think of Detective Comics 11, but that isn't it

87_4_000011.jpg

You could post these Weird Tales every day for a year and I still wouldn't be tired of them.

Have you posted "Golden Blood" yet?

The second Conan story appeared Weird Tales, January 1933.

weirdtales193301.jpg

The original art to this cover is in the Hendrix Experience Museum in Seattle - it is absolutely spectacular - anybody in that area should check it out!

stunning condition

You could post these Weird Tales every day for a year and I still wouldn't be tired of them.

Thanks, Adam. :)

Here are a couple of covers you might enjoy.

weirdtales1933_04.jpg

quiz29_1.jpg

quiz29_2.jpg

quiz29_3.jpg

quiz29_4.jpg

That is Mystery Men 5 Scrooge and Jack must be on vacation..

bb

Thanks, Adam. :)

Here are a couple of covers you might enjoy.

weirdtales1933_04.jpg

Absolutely stunning! And that applies to both your copy and the painting, which is certainly one of the finest painted for a pulp. (worship)