• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Swiped for the cover of House of Mystery #1, and again later a Jimmy Olsen cover. Maybe it wasn't Jimmy, I know they used it again though. Superboy! That's it!

Lois too, sorta -- unfortunately she remembered her modest one-piece swim suit.

Probably the best Swan/Kaye cover of the whole series. Quite a leopard pack, eh? One leopard and one chimp.

Jack

57732-1296_4_011.jpg.85f0b927169601390ab24b0e29502f04.jpg

I think this issue of Weird Tales is the model for HOM 1 etc.

WeirdTales_38_08-1.jpg

Ryan, are you collecting any other specific pulp titles or are you just focusing on issues with covers by particular cover artists, etc.?

Thanks BZ!!

Well, I am pretty cover driven in my collecting... I guess if it appeals to me, and its from 1940 and under, I'm after it!!

I love Paul's work (my fav pulp artist), and the WU FANGs are pretty impressive (I like the fact the villain has his own pulp! Which is what appeals to me about Doctor Death). I love Brundage's covers for WEIRD, and St. John as well (esp. that white scorpion cover). Wouldn't mind adding a few nice SHADOWS to my collection, but they are pretty pricey.

I need more Saunders covers as well...

actual titles I'm after: UNCANNY TALES and MYSTERY TALES (both Red Circle)... I'll pick these up whenever I can... they are incredibly rare as you know (although to someone who owns cover art from these magazines, they might not seem so rare! lol ) I just completed my run of MARVEL SCIENCE STORIES/MARVEL TALES/ MARVEL STORIES thanks to a certain board member ... more on that soon!

I also like one-shots as well... something appealing about having the whole run in one issue! (wouldn't mind picking up THE SCORPION... do you have that one?)

BZ, can you post the Queen of the Black Coast cover? This should be Conan's first cover appearance (1934 or 1935 issue - blue cover with a winged dude attacking Conan and a damsel in distress if I recall my copy correctly).

There were not too many Conan covers, although I can't really complain as I would prefer to look at the Brundage Babes instead of some barbarian on the covers. (thumbs u

I'll post a bunch of 1934 and 1935 Weird Tales covers in the next week or two. (thumbs u

Do you have that cool cover with the Brontosaurus, that looks like it came form the movie "the Lost World?"

This one?

weirdtales193011.jpg

Thats the one, very nice BZ, as always!!!

Thanks for posting!! :golfclap: Great early dinosaur cover!

If you're taking requests ... do you have many Adventure issues? If so, happen to have the whimsy Belarksi sailor + monkey series of covers from 1935? :wishluck:

I have all the 1935 issues so I'll see what I can dig up for you. (thumbs u

Ryan, are you collecting any other specific pulp titles or are you just focusing on issues with covers by particular cover artists, etc.?

Thanks BZ!!

Well, I am pretty cover driven in my collecting... I guess if it appeals to me, and its from 1940 and under, I'm after it!!

I love Paul's work (my fav pulp artist), and the WU FANGs are pretty impressive (I like the fact the villain has his own pulp! Which is what appeals to me about Doctor Death). I love Brundage's covers for WEIRD, and St. John as well (esp. that white scorpion cover). Wouldn't mind adding a few nice SHADOWS to my collection, but they are pretty pricey.

actual titles I'm after: UNCANNY TALES and MYSTERY TALES (both Red Circle)... I'll pick these up whenever I can... they are incredibly rare as you know (although to someone who owns cover art from these magazines, they might not seem so rare!) I just completed my run of MARVEL SCIENCE STORIES/MARVEL TALES/ MARVEL STORIES thanks to a certain board member ... more on that soon!

I also like one-shots as well... something appealing about having the whole run in one issue! (wouldn't mind picking up THE SCORPION... do you have that one?)

You're about as "focused" as I am. :baiting:lol

Great Doctor Death pickup. :applause: I'm thinking the boys at Fox must have kept a copy of that cover lying around. What year is it from?

I posted this in the "pulp" thread, but since there have been so many great pulps posted in this thread, I thought this would be at home here:

Ebay win last week... DOCTOR DEATH #1:

drdeath1post.jpg 

:banana:

That is very cool, Ryan. I don't think I have ever seen one.

Thanks BZ!!

actual titles I'm after: UNCANNY TALES and MYSTERY TALES (both Red Circle)... I'll pick these up whenever I can... they are incredibly rare as you know (although to someone who owns cover art from these magazines, they might not seem so rare!) I just completed my run of MARVEL SCIENCE STORIES/MARVEL TALES/ MARVEL STORIES thanks to a certain board member ... more on that soon!

You're about as "focused" as I am. :baiting:lol

Great Doctor Death pickup. :applause: I'm thinking the boys at Fox must have kept a copy of that cover lying around. What year is it from?

I just have a very WIDE focus!! I'm broad minded! lol

Its from 1935... highly possible the FOX lads had seen this pulp! hm

Are there any Doctor Death cover that have naked breasts? :blush:
:wishluck: