• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks for the scans, Shiver! You can definitely see the Frazetta of the future in those pages.

3165220102_112625a82b_o.jpg

"Jill Trent, Science Sleuth" hm

I wonder if selegue and Jill have met? :gossip:

No, but I'm smitten (even though she's "only" a blonde).

I don't think I've ever seen the feature before. Looks like fun.

Actually my first thought was to introduce her to ciorac. I'm a happily married man.

Jack

thanks for thinking of me Jack. But since that was the GA, she may be a bit long in the tooth by now.

That was the other reason it seemed like such a great match.

Jack

:sumo:

From Wikipedia:

Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective

Dan Turner, also known as the Hollywood Detective, was a fictional private detective created by Robert Leslie Bellem. His first appearance was in the second issue of the pulp magazine Spicy Detective, dated June 1934, and he continued to appear regularly in that magazine (which was retitled Speed Detective in 1943) until its demise in February 1947. He also appeared in his "own" magazine, Hollywood Detective, which was published by Culture Publications (later Trojan Publishing) and ran from January 1942 to October 1950.

Dan Turner was a typical hardboiled private eye, who worked in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles. Most of the stories are set in and around the film studios, and focus on crimes involving people in the movie business - film stars, stuntmen, producers, agents, extras and an endless array of glamorous female "starlets". The Dan Turner stories were notorious for their emphasis on sexual content, although this was generally implied rather than described explicitly.

A large number of the Dan Turner stories were written by Bellem himself, who had a good inside knowledge of Hollywood having worked as a film extra. The Hollywood Detective magazine also featured a Dan Turner comic strip, drawn by Max Plaisted.

All the Dan Turner stories are written in the first person, in a racy, slang-ridden style that gives them a unique flavor. Guns are never "guns" but "roscoes", and they always go "ka-chow!". A woman is never simply a "woman" but a "dame", "frail", "quail", "wren" or, if particularly attractive, a "doll" or "cutie".

Link

spicywestern193611.jpg

I'm no western fan, but I do love H. J. Ward's work, and who could resist that incredible logo!

I agree. (thumbs u

Many memorable logos (including possibly the Spicy Western logo) were created by Ira Schnapp.

It's an interesting story...

Link

spicywestern193611.jpg

I'm no western fan, but I do love H. J. Ward's work, and who could resist that incredible logo!

I agree. (thumbs u

Many memorable logos (including possibly the Spicy Western logo) were created by Ira Schnapp.

It's an interesting story...

Link

Very interesting, though it doesn't speak well of their research that they used Flee's fake Action 1 original art joke as the real thing.

I got a late Christmas present from the guys at GA.uk. Dynamo had a Super Car and Fox published a template in Science 6. Thanks guys.

3172807714_7340b2e930_o.jpg

3172807424_9b9c08d36f_o.jpg

The propeller is moving so fast that it is just a blur on my model. Uh Huh. OK, I have too much free time.

bb

3172807424_9b9c08d36f_o.jpg

lol:applause:

How'd those wheels work out? :gossip:

:baiting:

The wheels could be designed better. But the brakes work well.

If anyone wants to make a model, I would recommend printing two sets of parts. The artists tend to think in 2D instead of 3D.

bb

Very interesting, though it doesn't speak well of their research that they used Flee's fake Action 1 original art joke as the real thing.

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that creation. Guy must have been punk'd by somebody via email but you're B***Sh** radar needs to be pegged whenever you see something like this. Heck, I'm still on the fence about the Amazing Fantasy 15 art recently shown. And its at the National Library.

Ed

From Wikipedia:

Dan Turner, Hollywood Detective

Dan Turner, also known as the Hollywood Detective, was a fictional private detective created by Robert Leslie Bellem. His first appearance was in the second issue of the pulp magazine Spicy Detective, dated June 1934, and he continued to appear regularly in that magazine (which was retitled Speed Detective in 1943) until its demise in February 1947. He also appeared in his "own" magazine, Hollywood Detective, which was published by Culture Publications (later Trojan Publishing) and ran from January 1942 to October 1950.

Dan Turner was a typical hardboiled private eye, who worked in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles. Most of the stories are set in and around the film studios, and focus on crimes involving people in the movie business - film stars, stuntmen, producers, agents, extras and an endless array of glamorous female "starlets". The Dan Turner stories were notorious for their emphasis on sexual content, although this was generally implied rather than described explicitly.

A large number of the Dan Turner stories were written by Bellem himself, who had a good inside knowledge of Hollywood having worked as a film extra. The Hollywood Detective magazine also featured a Dan Turner comic strip, drawn by Max Plaisted.

Link

How are the stories? Have any been reprinted? I don't imagine they are Black mask quality - but somewhere in the guy's 16 year history there must have been a couple gems - or maybe not.

It cracks me up how the girlies keep saying, "Yummy!"

Jack

Here is a 6 page frazetta story from Movie Love #10.

3170102620_44544c3725_o.jpg

(worship) Thanks, Matt!!! :applause:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen scans from that story.