• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I know BZ has posted some of these, so I am hoping he or anyone else can help. I picked this up over the weekend from Richard Olson (Who was kind enough to not only feed Bill & I , but let us pour through his incredible collection). This series started in 1945, I have two both dated 1945 inside, anyone know if this is the real 1st issue? My bet is that it is, but have no way of knowing.

3343079926_8b440ce102_o.jpg

I know BZ has posted some of these, so I am hoping he or anyone else can help. I picked this up over the weekend from Richard Olson (Who was kind enough to not only feed Bill & I , but let us pour through his incredible collection). This series started in 1945, I have two both dated 1945 inside, anyone know if this is the real 1st issue? My bet is that it is, but have no way of knowing.

Is the other one Jo-Joy Meets Christopher the Collapsible Horse?

I wonder if that's supposed to be the 1946 issue and someone in production goofed. I noticed that the issues on GCD are dated 1945, 1945, 1947-53.

Do you have the full set?

Wonderfully obscure stuff!

Jack

I don't know, but I bet Ray would

scan0061.jpg

Is the other one Jo-Joy Meets Christopher the Collapsible Horse?

I wonder if that's supposed to be the 1946 issue and someone in production goofed. I noticed that the issues on GCD are dated 1945, 1945, 1947-53.

Do you have the full set?

Wonderfully obscure stuff!

Jack

Yes, he other 1945 is Collapsible horse. This one just seems so much more like an introduction issue. I don't have them all, just 4 so far.

ok, I just did something CRAZY, I READ the Jo Joy. doh! It's his origin, so I think that certainly can be used as evidence this is the 1st one.

it looks to me like his origin involves Billy Mumy sending him to the cornfield, but that didn't happen for at least another decade.

Anthony Fremont prototype!

Jack

TwilightZonePhone.jpg

Edited by selegue

Last night I was looking through a box filled with miscellaneous magazines, old catalogs, and assorted papers and came across a bunch of interesting items.

Here is a newspaper clipping from 1965 that profiles Houston collector, Gene Arnold.

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

The publication of this article in the Houston Post marked the beginning of Houston Fandom. Gene became the focal point as collectors around here realized there were others that shared their passions. Roy Bonario, Glenn Kessler, Earl Blair and others all read this and then got in contact with Gene. As a result the Houston Comic Collectors association was formed. From there HoustonCon started in 1967, and became one of the big national shows by the early 70's. Roy Bonario also started selling comics through a record shop in 1967 and then opened Roy's Memory Shop in 1970, the first true comic store in town. Gene was a fixture at the early Houston Cons but moved more and more towards movie paper. He eventually opened The Emporium, selling movie posters through the mid-nineties. He now sells exclusively through the internet.

An updated version of that article ran in 1970 and a new group of collectors were brought into the fold. I attended my first HCCA meeting in 1972. The greatest thing imaginable, at least to a dorky nine year old.

Last night I was looking through a box filled with miscellaneous magazines, old catalogs, and assorted papers and came across a bunch of interesting items.

Here is a newspaper clipping from 1965 that profiles Houston collector, Gene Arnold.

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

The publication of this article in the Houston Post marked the beginning of Houston Fandom. Gene became the focal point as collectors around here realized there were others that shared their passions. Roy Bonario, Glenn Kessler, Earl Blair and others all read this and then got in contact with Gene. As a result the Houston Comic Collectors association was formed. From there HoustonCon started in 1967, and became one of the big national shows by the early 70's. Roy Bonario also started selling comics through a record shop in 1967 and then opened Roy's Memory Shop in 1970, the first true comic store in town. Gene was a fixture at the early Houston Cons but moved more and more towards movie paper. He eventually opened The Emporium, selling movie posters through the mid-nineties. He now sells exclusively through the internet.

An updated version of that article ran in 1970 and a new group of collectors were brought into the fold. I attended my first HCCA meeting in 1972. The greatest thing imaginable, at least to a dorky nine year old.

It's nice to hear about the legacy of Gene and the others. Does he still have the Action 1? :kidaround:

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

He centerpieces a Giant-Size Batman and a Tracy, but that book in the lower right corner appears to be the $100 gem of his collection.

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

He centerpieces a Giant-Size Batman and a Tracy, but that book in the lower right corner appears to be the $100 gem of his collection.

At the time of that article Action 1 was twenty eight years old. Didn't Alpha Flight 1 come out about twenty eight years ago. I doubt it would be at the top of anyone's piles!

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

At the time of that article Action 1 was twenty eight years old. Didn't Alpha Flight 1 come out about twenty eight years ago. I doubt it would be at the top of anyone's piles!

I started attending comic book conventions in Houston in about 1978 or 1979. They were fun shows but I mostly collected ducks and sold a large part of my silver age collection to local dealers.

bb

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

Yeah, but if Alpha Flight #1 was my most valuable comic (and one of the oldest in my oh-so-crappy collection) I would center it.

I made a remark on another thread comparing the work by different artists on the Tarzan strip. I have posted a few examples of Foster's work but I haven't posted any examples by Hogarth or Moreira.

Here is Foster from 1931 and I think his work looked more like Roy Crane than Alex Raymond at that time.

3344350768_6bc500bc73_o.jpg

Moreira from 1946.

3343516387_2a993e2177_o.jpg

Hogarth from 1947.

3344382570_d8e084454b_o.jpg

Hogarth from 1948.'

3343516145_3c170299d0_o.jpg

I was very impressed with Hogarth's work on a panel by panel comparison but I still like some of the early work by Foster and how the page looks. By 1933 he started to show the detail that we saw on the Prince Valiant strip through the sixties I guess.

1801115001_2724ea306f_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

very cool... I am sure I can find $100 to buy an action 1!

I am so jealous seeing stack of comics like that is pisses me off......why couldn't I have been born earlier :frustrated:

even if you had of, your mom would have thrown them away :baiting:

Did I ever tell you the stroy about my Dad.....his mom threw away his collection of early marvels and DC that spanned from around 1940-1960. I don't want to know exactly what he had but I know he had 3 large boxes of some of the cream of the crop titles like Batman, Superman, MMC, Green latern etc and I have shown him some images of books and he recognized several heavy hitters :frustrated: Why did he have to join the navy and travel the world doh!

Wayne Boring art (I think) on Thuperman made it look great. He was older in the comics wasn't he? Plots weren't as gruesome as some of the Tarzan or Terry and the Pirates scripts.

3345252104_f0c9e74efe_o.jpg3345252336_469a353d55_o.jpg