• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

any super duper comics?

Yes. :baiting:

comicbookvalues5.jpg

thank you, a most wonderful and nostalgic look into the past (thumbs u

keep in mind folks, that at that time, we didn't give a lot of premium to Hi-grade copies. so while a nm copy of Action 1 might be $1000, a VG copy would have been half or a little more and what we called VF back then might only be F- today.

In 1964 Ken Mitchell (a name most of you won't know I'll bet) had an editorial in his sales list that asked "Will there ever be a $200 comic book?"

the following month, Howard Rogofsky had Superman #1 on his list for $200

something that surprised me is that the Action #1 on ComicConnect right now was described as being bought for $35 in the 1950s.. I'm shocked that anyone would have thought at the time that he was spending his money wisely

any super duper comics?

In 1964 Ken Mitchell (a name most of you won't know I'll bet) had an editorial in his sales list that asked "Will there ever be a $200 comic book?"

Do you happen to have a scan of that list with the editorial? I'd love to see that.

any super duper comics?

Do you happen to have a scan of that list with the editorial? I'd love to see that.

no, that's one list I dont have.. But I think it was posted somewhere years ago.. Of course, I remember it from exeperience.. though the experience was a little after 1964 in my case from a old copy of the list I read maybe about 1969/70.

I noticed that Alan Light had a lot of interesting photographs available that might be of interest to comic and sci fi collectors.

Recently there was a discussion of the Ackermansion on this thread. Alan had some interesting pictures.

One of his photos was used as the cover for Movie Collectors World.

3351363621_05dea51a82.jpg

The other photo that interested me was the one of the paintings that Forrest had on the wall. Did these sell when he moved?

3351363933_3c88af7427_b.jpg

I like this Paul cover very much.

2240016600_79fd30a4ff_b.jpg

And Isn't that a St. John ERB cover back in the corner? Good photographic eye Alan and thanks again for making these photos available.

bb

The other photo that interested me was the one of the paintings that Forrest had on the wall. Did these sell when he moved?

that photo is soooo misleading you have no idea.

I remember seeing that wall the times when I was at Forry's house and I can tell youthat they aren't all (most actually) real!!

Forry may or may not have owned the particular paintings shown. In some cases, he did indeed own the painting, and over the years as they would be sold, he had a friend recreate the painting so he wouldn't have an empty space. In other cases, if he liked the painting and did not own it, he had that one recreated too.

there was also a "half wall" in teh basement that was covered with b&w Virgil Finlay illustrations. Darn things were pasted to the wall.. I remember having to remove one that was sold to a pal at the time and almost destroyed the piece taking it off the wall..

to be even more specific, I think there are only 2 paintings that are real there. The Frank R Paul second from left at top and the center piece with the small plaque on it. The Magic Carpet is definitely a copy as is the Amazing cover at top left, the H.H. Wesso Astounding cover and the St John at right. The small piece at top center is real and the sf piece to the left of teh St John is also. the 2 pieces that are being vlocked by the actor whose name escapes me & Forry are also likely real pieces and the Planet pulp cover is also a fake

Edited by comicartcom

to be even more specific, I think there are only 2 paintings that are real there. The Frank R Paul second from left at top and the center piece with the small plaque on it. The Magic Carpet is definitely a copy as is the Amazing cover at top left, the H.H. Wesso Astounding cover and the St John at right. The small piece at top center is real and the sf piece to the left of teh St John is also. the 2 pieces that are being vlocked by the actor whose name escapes me & Forry are also likely real pieces and the Planet pulp cover is also a fake

Thanks for the clarification.

I was wondering if some of those were recreations.

Trivia note: Some of the interior illos in that Magic Carpet issue (October 1933) were by Joseph Doolin who later did lots of incredible work for Fiction House comics.

WDCS#1 was worth almost as much as tec27? My how the ducks have fallen.

It's interesting to compare the rankings of that guide to the current Overstreet ranking.

comicbookvalues5.jpg

1973-74 vs 2008-09

1 - Action #1 (1)

2 - Marvel Comics (3)

3 - Superman #1 (4)

4 - Whiz #2 (#1) (10)

5 - Detective #27 (2)

6 - Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #1 (39)

7 - Captain America #1 (7)

8 - Batman #1 (6)

9 - Action #2 (17)

10- Donald Duck Color #4 (82)

11- Donald Duck Four Color #9 (98)

12- Famous Funnies #1 (46)

13- More Fun #52 (9)

that photo is soooo misleading you have no idea.

I remember seeing that wall the times when I was at Forry's house and I can tell youthat they aren't all (most actually) real!!

Forry may or may not have owned the particular paintings shown. In some cases, he did indeed own the painting, and over the years as they would be sold, he had a friend recreate the painting so he wouldn't have an empty space. In other cases, if he liked the painting and did not own it, he had that one recreated too.

there was also a "half wall" in teh basement that was covered with b&w Virgil Finlay illustrations. Darn things were pasted to the wall.. I remember having to remove one that was sold to a pal at the time and almost destroyed the piece taking it off the wall..

Who did the recreations? If they are done well then they would still be valuable. And I like the other Paul painting too. What happened to that? The other paintings wouldn't be "fakes" if they were identified as recreations. Some board members have rooms filled with those things.

bb

Such a marvelous little series. Looks like a matched set of high quality copies! :applause:

magiccarpet2.jpg

Such a marvelous little series. Looks like a matched set of high quality copies! :applause:

Thanks. :)

I'm also fortunate to have all the Oriental Stories (whose title changed to Magic Carpet Magazine with the January 1933 issue) in the same nice condition.

Here are a couple of covers which I posted last Summer.

orientalstories1932winter.jpg

Cover illustration by J. Allen St. John. (Winter 1932)

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

Margaret Brundage's first published cover. (Spring 1932)