• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Call me crazy for this but I was checking the preview pages for the upcoming Young Allies Masterwork volume and noticed this page -

YNGALS002009_col.jpg

Notice the Note from the Editor referencing a character that appeared in Cap Am # 9. Is this the earliest one of these cross-series references?

ah, the Black Talon.....

77607.jpg.dddbfa459451891183a0d4fda2ddb777.jpg

I received an old price guide (1974) in the mail the other day, and tucked inside it was this article. You may find it intertesting, I know I did.

If Bedrock reads this, he will certainly enjoy it!

Rowe.jpg

I sure didn't know Larry McMurtry collected funny books.

Anyone ever run into him at Cons or similar?

Call me crazy for this but I was checking the preview pages for the upcoming Young Allies Masterwork volume and noticed this page -

YNGALS002009_col.jpg

Notice the Note from the Editor referencing a character that appeared in Cap Am # 9. Is this the earliest one of these cross-series references?

ah, the Black Talon.....

Outstanding item!!! :applause:

I received an old price guide (1974) in the mail the other day, and tucked inside it was this article. You may find it intertesting, I know I did.

If Bedrock reads this, he will certainly enjoy it!

Rowe.jpg

McMurtry is a huge rare book collector and has a very large vintage book store in Archer Texas. I don't think he actively collects comics any longer, but if a good deal comes through his store I doubt he would pass it up.

Here's another table I don't believe I've posted yet. Surveying boys and girls in 7th an 8th grade in 1941 / 1942, the authors of this study in The Journal of Educational Psychology discovered the students' comic strip preference.

77228.jpg

I'm shocked that Smilin' Jack and Dic k Tracy were #'s 1 & 2 in popularity.

Also, I'd never have guessed that Captain and the Kids and Blondie would rank 3 and 4 among boys.

Surprisingly to modern eyes, Smiling Jack was VERY popular. The other popular strips have remained at the forefront of people's memories while Smiling Jack is only a distant memory and mostly forgotten today.

77228.jpg

In honor of Smilin' Jack's ranking...

smilinjack1.jpg

Four Color Comics #5 (1940); Four Color #14 (1941); Four Color #36 (1943)

smilinjack2.jpg

Four Color #58 (1944); Four Color #80 (1945); Four Color #149 (1947)

Here's an interesting montage showcasing how Disney got inspiration for some sequences from ... Disney.

That was a fascinating revelation.

Here are some relevant comments from Wikipedia concerning Disney's Robin Hood swipes:

As the film allotted a small budget, the artists referenced footage from previous animated features. A dance sequence in the film was traced from a sequence originally produced for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. This is most noticeable during the song-and-dance number, "The Phony King of England"; the characters' movements strongly resemble those from The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. A notable example is that the section where Little John and Lady Cluck dance together mirrors part of the song "I Wanna Be Like You" from The Jungle Book with Baloo and King Louie respectively. Other examples include Robin Hood and Maid Marian mirroring the dancing movements of Thomas O'Malley and Duchess during the song "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" from The Aristocats and Maid Marian mirroring the dancing movements of Snow White during the song "The Silly Song" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The animation of Little John, the bear in Robin Hood, is nearly identical to that of Baloo in The Jungle Book. However, Little John more closely resembles a brown or grizzly bear, and Baloo was based on an Indian Sloth Bear. Both characters were voiced by actor Phil Harris, and have similar personalities, though Little John seems a far more responsible character than the "jungle bum" Baloo. Because Maid Marian dances the same moves that Snow White does, she was animated to wear a petticoat instead of bloomers. The robe that Prince John wears, and the crown worn by the puppet version of himself, are the same robe and crown the king wears in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. In addition, Robin Hood's costume (green tunic and feathered cap) is similar to that of 1953's Peter Pan, sometimes leading to confusion between the two characters. At the end of the movie, a sound clip of the church bells ringing in Cinderella was used for the wedding church bells. During the beginning of the film, Sir Hiss mesmerizes Prince John with his eyes. This was the same type of ability Kaa the Indian Python had in Disney's 1967 film, The Jungle Book. This short scene may be another re-use of older animation.

At one point, one of the elephants who act as heralds for Prince John attempts to trumpet a warning. Lady Kluck grabs the trunk, preventing the trumpeting and leaving the elephant flapping his ears ineffectually. The same joke was used in The Jungle Book, with identical sound. The vultures in the movie are identical to the ones in The Jungle Book. The movie also reuses the same animated shots several times, including those of the rhinos walking and running and those of Sis and Tagalong Rabbit (Skippy's siblings) and Toby Turtle (his friend, a turtle) laughing. Several animated clips of the Sheriff of Nottingham are also recycled at different points in the film.

Surprisingly to modern eyes, Smiling Jack was VERY popular. The other popular strips have remained at the forefront of people's memories while Smiling Jack is only a distant memory and mostly forgotten today.

In honor of Smilin' Jack's ranking...

smilinjack1.jpg

Four Color Comics #5 (1940); Four Color #14 (1941); Four Color #36 (1943)

Sh-h-h!

Scrooge says that Four Color Comics #5 (1940) doesn't exist.

Wryly Smirkin' Jack

I received an old price guide (1974) in the mail the other day, and tucked inside it was this article.

Rowe.jpg

larrymcmurtry.jpg

McMurtry wrote an autobiography, "Books: A Memoir," that recounted his life as a bookseller and collector. I read it and enjoyed it immensely.

Here are a couple of interesting snippets from reviews of the book:

"This book is divided into 109 very short (1-3 page) chapters, with the author musing on everything from the golden age of comics to the odd folks that are are bookmen, from early raunchy paperbacks to the future of reading as a pastime."

Link

"In his latest ruminating memoir, a low-key, shambling gathering of pithy essays, McMurtry recounts his adventures collecting comics, penny dreadfuls, pulp fiction, travel writing, and rare books, and setting up his bookstores."

Link

A little far afield from funny books I guess ... but if we keep on bumping the thread, maybe BZ will post more of his pristine Doc pulps :wishluck: Maybe even Mad Mesa ...

I'll check the shelves... hm

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

Wouldn't seeing more non-existant Four Colors either :cool:

Most of the non-existant Four Colors are the books I should be receiving in trades from Jack, really :baiting:

A little far afield from funny books I guess ... but if we keep on bumping the thread, maybe BZ will post more of his pristine Doc pulps :wishluck: Maybe even Mad Mesa ...

I'll check the shelves... hm

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

Most of the non-existent Four Colors are the books I should be receiving in trades from Jack, really :baiting:

Those are known as "virtual Four Colors".

IRS is dealt with and end of semester is in sight. :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

Jack

I must have missed that thread.

Which numbers are nonexistent? (shrug)

In-joke between Jack and I. We're calling "nonexistent" any Four Colors from the 1st series (thumbs u

I received an old price guide (1974) in the mail the other day, and tucked inside it was this article.

Rowe.jpg

larrymcmurtry.jpg

McMurtry wote an autobiography, "Books: A Memoir," that recounted his life as a bookseller and collector. I read it and enjoyed it immensely.

Here are a couple of interesting snippets from reviews of the book:

"This book is divided into 109 very short (1-3 page) chapters, with the author musing on everything from the golden age of comics to the odd folks that are are bookmen, from early raunchy paperbacks to the future of reading as a pastime."

Link

"In his latest ruminating memoir, a low-key, shambling gathering of pithy essays, McMurtry recounts his adventures collecting comics, penny dreadfuls, pulp fiction, travel writing, and rare books, and setting up his bookstores."

Link

I was just thinking last night that there's not enough story tellers in the hobby willing to put their adventures down into words. That book looks interesting and I'll go get a copy.

Here's another table I don't believe I've posted yet. Surveying boys and girls in 7th an 8th grade in 1941 / 1942, the authors of this study in The Journal of Educational Psychology discovered the students' comic strip preference.

77228.jpg

I'm shocked that Smilin' Jack and Dic k Tracy were #'s 1 & 2 in popularity.

Also, I'd never have guessed that Captain and the Kids and Blondie would rank 3 and 4 among boys.

I'm not surprised. I have always liked Tracy and still collect the comics and related items today.

And as for Blondie....... :luhv: