• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Check out the article in the New York Times: Link

Don't forget to take a look at the slideshow: Link

Bon Jour! Not a very nice review. They like him better in Belgium I bet.

They were pretty flattering about Burrough's artwork on that one Sunday page though.

Jack

Talking about France and NYT articles, there was a very interesting piece on visitors at the Louvre earlier this week. The author observed how the vast majority of guests were walking quickly through the exhibits, pausing briefly to shoot pictures with their cell phone cameras. He contrasted that with two young girls who walked slowly between the paintings and sculptures, observing them for some time without taking any pictures. It was very insightful (the last sentence was absolutely brilliant) and I've spent a lot of time afterwards thinking about how the popularity of handheld recording devices and social networking are changing the experience of going to a museum. Relating to our hobby, I am trying to decide whether sites like CAF are raising the awareness of originals or whether they are inflating them by making digital copies so easily accessible.

I don't want to derail the thread; just a pointer to an article I found unusually interesting. Last I checked, it had prompted 418 comments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/arts/design/03abroad.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=louvre&st=cse

I was in the Louvre in May and the museum is (and has always been) a zoo. Yes, many visitors never look straight at a painting but only sees them through a digital device ... BUT, that's more than 50% the museum's fault. There are zilch information about the painting near them and the collection is somewhat disorganized. At least, across the Seine, at the Musée d'Orsay, the collection is presented in chronological thematic order, is less cramped and the painting aren't hung 10 feet up in the air and thus impossible to enjoy. People enjoy d'Orsay much more and take their time through the collection. Embarassment of riches for the Louvre? Schlerotic curating? Possibly and they can get away with it.

Now to go read the article.

Put me in the "spend time staring" camp as I no longer have interest in snapping pics, even when they let me. I was at the Huntington Library last week and no picture can capture seeing a Gutenberg Bible, the Ellesmere Chaucer or the brilliant colors and brushstokes of the Blueboy.

From the comments on the NY Times article.

Rothko's paintings inexplicably brought me to tears
True for me as well, though perhaps for a different reason.

Betty Boop made her first appearance on August 9, 1930 in the cartoon Dizzy Dishes,the sixth installment in Fleischer's Talkartoon series.

The character was originally created in the mode of an anthropomorphic French poodle.

cheers.gif Happy Birthday, Betty.

I was in the Louvre in May and the museum is (and has always been) a zoo. Yes, many visitors never look straight at a painting but only sees them through a digital device ... BUT, that's more than 50% the museum's fault. There are zilch information about the painting near them and the collection is somewhat disorganized. At least, across the Seine, at the Musée d'Orsay, the collection is presented in chronological thematic order, is less cramped and the painting aren't hung 10 feet up in the air and thus impossible to enjoy. People enjoy d'Orsay much more and take their time through the collection. Embarassment of riches for the Louvre? Schlerotic curating? Possibly and they can get away with it.

On my one and only trip to Paris :cry: I decided to skip the Louvre for lack of time, but really enjoyed having more time to spend in the wonderful Musée d'Orsay. I did zip quickly through Notre Dame, but that was so I could spend more time in the smaller but (in my opinion) more intense Sainte-Chapelle.

(I've got to get back!)

Thanks for the link -- interesting article. I suppose the comic-book equivalent is looking only at covers.

Jack

On my one and only trip to Paris :cry: I decided to skip the Louvre for lack of time, but really enjoyed having more time to spend in the wonderful Musée d'Orsay. I did zip quickly through Notre Dame, but that was so I could spend more time in the smaller but (in my opinion) more intense Sainte-Chapelle.

(I've got to get back!)

Thanks for the link -- interesting article. I suppose the comic-book equivalent is looking only at covers.

Jack

I have had a couple of chances to visit Paris but found other things that interested me more while in Europe. However, while I was in Belgium, I found that the art museum in Brussels is very nice. It wasn't crowded and they had a nice display with easy access. You start at the top, which is ground level and then you go down into the basement, like the Guggenheim. It was a great place to visit. Now if I could only find a some place that made good waffles...

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Thanks for the pulp pictures, bz. I was reading through the New York Times archive from the 1920s and 30s. It was fun to see the heated criticism of pulp covers at the time and the passionate replies from the editors to some of that criticism.

---

One unrelated question to the animation fans: does anyone know of other examples in the following sequence?

83854.jpg.5c3774a2450cff756acc4f61a78a5abf.jpg

83856.jpg.3044491974c161842c51b08c182b48d8.jpg

83857.jpg.af4d7bb6f7358ee193883172e562631b.jpg

Thanks for the pulp pictures, bz. I was reading through the New York Times archive from the 1920s and 30s. It was fun to see the heated criticism of pulp covers at the time and the passionate replies from the editors to some of that criticism.

I'd like to read that. Are the archives a resource only available to subscribers of the paper?

The controversy regarding pulp covers also raged in pulp's letter columns.

amazingcovers.jpg

Amazing Stories (April 1929)

letters.jpg

Weird Tales (December 1933)

I hope the NYT won't mind me copying this 1935 editorial and the reply from the publisher. What I think is interesting is the tone of the reply to the condescending article which clearly struck a nerve. The last few paragraphs, which predict what future historians will think of pulps, are well worth the read.

83901.jpg.f9abf980ebdd9ba3f9b4de531b5e161d.jpg

83902.jpg.9ada88fd49353e29a1f9df76bf79246f.jpg

I'd like to read that. Are the archives a resource only available to subscribers of the paper?

The controversy regarding pulp covers also raged in pulp's letter columns.

amazingcovers.jpg

Amazing Stories (April 1929)

So the "Scientification logo" cover sold more copies than the awesome Robot vs. Lion cover or the legendary flying man Skylark cover. hm

Obviously tastes change.