• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

P1010001-3.jpg

(worship) Impressive chair!!

Are the buttons for decorative purposes only or do they control some special features?

Thanks BZ!

Most of the buttons serve a purpose. The switches on the left hand side, as you are seated, are merely toggle switches, but they function.

The white buttons on the right hand side, as you are seated, is where the fun really happens. They control the lights, sounds and verbal effects of the chair. Just about every sound effect of consequence is included. (photon torpedoes, phasers, hailing frequency, bridge background noise, klaxon bell, etc). The commands are what you would expect and are in Kirk's voice.

Lots of fun

:)

I bet. :applause:

It's the perfect chair for reading science fiction pulps. (thumbs u

Nice books, BZ! I'm still hunting for high-grade copies of a few of those. Makes me want to post some Popeyes, too..

I'd love to see them. :)

I've always been a Popeye fan but lately have been especially enthusiastic about the strip because I've been watching the old cartoons I remember viewing on TV during my childhood.

51-E4sOqPhL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51nBtDuN4LL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51V8D7WSBVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Here's a Popeye book that I really love. Popeye Funny Films from 1934. I think this was a collection of newspaper cut-out pages. Kids were supposed to cut out the strips, thread them through the slits on the character's body and slide them up and down to change the facial expression -- Popeye is demonstrating on the cover. :) It's a huge book -- about 10" x 16".

I've seen this book with and without the branding at the top.. was it a giveaway?

PopeyeFunnyFilmsfront.jpg

PopeyeFunnyFilmsrear.jpg

PopeyeFunnyFilmsinside1.jpg

PopeyeFunnyFilmsinside2.jpg

Here's a Popeye book that I really love. Popeye Funny Films from 1934. I think this was a collection of newspaper cut-out pages. Kids were supposed to cut out the strips, thread them through the slits on the character's body and slide them up and down to change the facial expression -- Popeye is demonstrating on the cover. :) It's a huge book -- about 10" x 16".

I've seen this book with and without the branding at the top.. was it a giveaway?

PopeyeFunnyFilmsfront.jpg

PopeyeFunnyFilmsrear.jpg

PopeyeFunnyFilmsinside1.jpg

PopeyeFunnyFilmsinside2.jpg

I hope Flee finds this and has some extra time on his hands. It would be fun to see it in action.

I watched Popeye cartoons on CKLW from Windsor. Captain Jolly was the host and he was played by Toby David who was a local disk jockey. Fun to watch at the time. Especially liked the Alladin cartoon and Sinbad. Capt. was later replaced by Poopdeck Paul.

bb

David, who died at age 80 in 1994, started in New York radio in the 1930s. He had parts in several NBC radio shows including Bob Hope, Garry Moore, Jackie Gleason and the children's show "Let's Pretend." He came to Detroit in 1940s, where his radio work included reading Detroit Times comics on the air.

From the Detroit News Feb 27, 2000

Incredible, amazing.

I am not sure how else to begin this, my first post here. I followed a link to this thread from a lesser used forum on another site. I had started from the first post and finally read through it in about a month, then for the last couple of weeks I have been exploring this site.

To see all of these Golden Age treasures that I had thought had been lost to the winds of time has really given me a passion for Comics again. (I stopped buying new comics on a regular basis in 1998).

I myself have a few Golden Age Comics which I will now have to dig out and look at again and maybe post a couple of scans myself.

I don’t want to ramble on too much here. I just want to say Thank You, Bangzoom for starting this thread and sharing your collection(s) and also for the many others who have posted here.

When I get a chance I will post next in the “So what do you look like??” thread. It may take me a few days.

Oh, and Flee, your stuff cracks me up.

Scott aka ThreeSeas

Incredible, amazing.

I am not sure how else to begin this, my first post here. I followed a link to this thread from a lesser used forum on another site. I had started from the first post and finally read through it in about a month, then for the last couple of weeks I have been exploring this site.

To see all of these Golden Age treasures that I had thought had been lost to the winds of time has really given me a passion for Comics again. (I stopped buying new comics on a regular basis in 1998).

I myself have a few Golden Age Comics which I will now have to dig out and look at again and maybe post a couple of scans myself.

I don’t want to ramble on too much here. I just want to say Thank You, Bangzoom for starting this thread and sharing your collection(s) and also for the many others who have posted here.

When I get a chance I will post next in the “So what do you look like??” thread. It may take me a few days.

Oh, and Flee, your stuff cracks me up.

Scott aka ThreeSeas

Glad to have you here Scott and look forward to your contributions (thumbs u

Some other nice Popeye books from my collection. Also three of the oversized Charlie Chaplin books by Segar that came out years before Thimble Theater and Popeye.

PopeyePaintBook686.jpg

PopeyePictureBook892.jpg

PopeyeandHisJunglePetfront.jpg

ThimbleTheater2front.jpg

FourColor17front.jpg

FourColor70front.jpg

FeatureBook5front.jpg

CharlieChaplinintheArmyfront.jpg

CharlieChaplinintheArmyrear.jpg

CharlieChapinComicCapersfront.jpg

CharlieChapinIntheMoviesfront.jpg

Very cool books Cheezy :applause:

Actually the toilet is the throne, but you were in the right ballpark

Here is the, non-toilet, Kirk chair

P1010001-3.jpg

I've moved it away from the window into another corner of the comic room, and the Popeye hangs just above it.

Wow! That is cool! (worship)