• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

4025829875_1c046007f7.jpg3844691151_ca617c1dbc_o.jpg3845469216_7b578d3286.jpg

3076366354_2af77f324c_o.jpgdetective26.jpg

I was just looking at Heritage's offerings in last night's auction and noticed that Detective Comics #26 features our old friend making another cover appearance. lol

Raggedy Ann Four Color 23 above Found it on the HTLM site. Also looked at Popeye FC 17, 26 and 43. None of them had the Jeep story. Perhaps the story is in Four Color 25 from the first series.

Also read the Four Color 48 Porky Pig story and the Christmas parade stories that I hadn't seen.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Interesting article, Scrooge.

I wonder if the author of that story exaggerated certain facts to make a point? The description of a 3 year girl being sent to the newsstand by her father to buy a "lewd" comic seems a bit contrived.

One of my favorite comic references that I've found online, while exploring periodical archives, is a profile of Mickey Spillane in the June 23rd 1952 issue of LIFE magazine. They mention his friendship with comic book pioneers Ray and Joe Gill, etc.

Mickey Spillane

Raggedy Ann Four Color 23 above Found it on the HTLM site. Also looked at Popeye FC 17, 26 and 43. None of them had the Jeep story. Perhaps the story is in Four Color 25 from the first series.

BB, I should have mentioned that I checked that website Friday and I looked at those very same issues.

The source of your Jeep page remains a mystery. lol

While I was looking through the Popeyes I read many of the strips. It was lots of fun. :)

I agree. Interesting article. The editorial does seem a little biased. I can't imagine too many three year olds being capable of buying the specific sordid comic dad wanted. When my kids were three they probably would have just swallowed the dime.

I thought we had already narrowed down the Jeep page to 1st series FC 25.

GCD says "entire book comprised of 1 page reprints of Thimble Theatre from 1935-1937. Starts on inside front cover (black/red) and ends on back cover. Brutus on cover only--not in book. First appearance of "the Jeep" reprinted?"

I guess the question mark remains a concern.

Jack

BB, I should have mentioned that I checked that website Friday and I looked at those very same issues.

While I was looking through the Popeyes I read many of the strips. It was lots of fun. :)

I thought we had already narrowed down the Jeep page to 1st series FC 25.

GCD says "entire book comprised of 1 page reprints of Thimble Theatre from 1935-1937. Starts on inside front cover (black/red) and ends on back cover. Brutus on cover only--not in book. First appearance of "the Jeep" reprinted?"

I guess the question mark remains a concern.

Jack

I remember that note about the FC 25 but no one on the boards has seen the issue or scans of FC 25. You probably are correct. I should just go back and read the pages and enjoy all of that early Popeye.

researching an article on Wertham and that era for Wizard magazine many many years ago, I came upon a pre-code era magazine article which claimed two young boys stole a plane -- and were able to fly it -- because they'd seen the same scenario played out in a comic book.

Interesting article, Scrooge.

I wonder if the author of that story exaggerated certain facts to make a point? The description of a 3 year girl being sent to the newsstand by her father to buy a "lewd" comic seems a bit contrived.

One of my favorite comic references that I've found online, while exploring periodical archives, is a profile of Mickey Spillane in the June 23rd 1952 issue of LIFE magazine. They mention his friendship with comic book pioneers Ray and Joe Gill, etc.

Mickey Spillane

I love those St. John covers, BB. :applause:

The Mastermind of Mars was first published in the 1927 Amazing Stories Annual.

This is Frank Paul's cover version.

amazingstoriesannual.jpg

That's the nicest copy I've ever seen. (worship)

Stunning copy BZ! really strong colors on your copy.

amazingstoriesannual.jpg

Love that cover. It has Weird Science stuff and strange creatures by Paul.

But the Frazetta version has sex and violence and it is cheap.

Found this in a box in my basement.

I used to belong to the scifi book club back in the seventies and I know this isn't worth much but I enjoy the cover.

4134577540_623cabea8e_b.jpg

amazingstoriesannual.jpg

Love that cover. It has Weird Science stuff and strange creatures by Paul.

But the Frazetta version has sex and violence and it is cheap.

Found this in a box in my basement.

I used to belong to the scifi book club back in the seventies and I know this isn't worth much but I enjoy the cover.

4134577540_623cabea8e_b.jpg

Dejah Thoris. :luhv:

4025829875_1c046007f7.jpg3844691151_ca617c1dbc_o.jpg3845469216_7b578d3286.jpg

3076366354_2af77f324c_o.jpgdetective26.jpg

CaptainMarvel7_CGCF60.jpg

I was just looking at Heritage's offerings in last night's auction and noticed that Detective Comics #26 features our old friend making another cover appearance. lol

I noticed that Red Fury added one to the list. Captain Marvel and the mysterious shadow. He got around.

bb