• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I agree. Happy Birthday Elzie!

Without you we wouldn't have had one of the strangest super guys that ever reluctantly saved a damsel in distress.

Your creation became an even more famous star of cartoons, comics, movies and spinach cans after your death.

bb

2553510898_1ea73dff38.jpg

Love the Arkham Houses! :applause:

Linkage

An interesting bit of trivia about August Derleth, one of the founders of Arkham House, was that he was a comic collector. In this 1966 letter (image saved from eBay listing) he claimed that he owned the largest collection of comics in the world.

augustderleth.jpg

Wikipedia says: "Derleth's papers and comic book collection (valued at a considerable sum upon his death) were donated to the Wisconsin Historical Society in Madison."

That's cool. I remember Bob B. posting a series of letters here from Derleth and some others discussing the early history of the comic strip. Very interesting stuff. He clearly had an interest in comics very early on.

Here's a fun item that Rob Roehm from the REH Foundation sent me the other day;

1932_Dec_15sm.jpg

Perhaps there is some interest in Christmas stories on this thread.

I don't have much to contribute to Robert E. Howard discussions.

I like Conan stories but I am on a Batman and Duck binge lately.

I liked this story from Batman 15. And love the Batsled.

4175829578_f6ed2fe951_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

That's cool. I remember Bob B. posting a series of letters here from Derleth and some others discussing the early history of the comic strip. Very interesting stuff. He clearly had an interest in comics very early on.

That discussion was before I joined the boards. Thanks for the tip. It's a fascinating bit of early comic history. Derleth

Here's a fun item that Rob Roehm from the REH Foundation sent me the other day;

1932_Dec_15sm.jpg

How cool is it that letters like that were saved.

I've never read the three volume set of Howard's collected letters. Maybe I'll put in a interlibrary loan request and take a look at them. hm

How cool is it that letters like that were saved.

I've never read the three volume set of Howard's collected letters. Maybe I'll put in a interlibrary loan request and take a look at them. hm

I just got my set the other day and I'm reading Volume 1 right now. It's absolutely fascinating. The letters begin when he is only 17 years old, writing to his friends who were also burgeoning writers. It's amazing to their thoughts as they discover writers like Burroughs, Lamb, and Mundy for the first time. He and and his friends were selling each other books through the mail after they read them as well; it reminded me a lot of these boards actually. :)

The set is limited to 300 copies, so it may not last long. If anyone is interested, they can be purchased directly from the REH Foundation.

Love the Arkham Houses! :applause:

Linkage

An interesting bit of trivia about August Derleth, one of the founders of Arkham House, was that he was a comic collector. In this 1966 letter (image saved from eBay listing) he claimed that he owned the largest collection of comics in the world.

augustderleth.jpg

Wikipedia says: "Derleth's papers and comic book collection (valued at a considerable sum upon his death) were donated to the Wisconsin Historical Society in Madison."

If I recall correctly, there were a ton of high grade pulps sold on eBay in 1999 or 2000 that were attributed to being part of the Derleth collection. Can anyone remember this? Or, was it another noted pulp creator's collection?

I have noticed that there are some book collectors among the boardies.

One of the treasures in my collection is a first edition of The Catcher in the Rye which I purchased at the rare book table of a Goodwill book sale many years ago.

catcherintherye.jpg

catherintheryebc.jpg

The dust jacket illustration is by Michael Mitchell who later in his career did some work in the animation field. Among his credits were stints as a layout artist and designer of model sheets for various cartoons, including: The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show, The New Adventures of Flash Gordon, The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle, Tarzan and the Super 7, and Thundarr the Barbarian.

I just got my set the other day and I'm reading Volume 1 right now. It's absolutely fascinating. The letters begin when he is only 17 years old, writing to his friends who were also burgeoning writers. It's amazing to their thoughts as they discover writers like Burroughs, Lamb, and Mundy for the first time. He and and his friends were selling each other books through the mail after they read them as well; it reminded me a lot of these boards actually. :)

I guess I won't be reading those books any time soon.

I received this e-mail from my library the other day. :P

A request you have placed:

Title: The collected letters of Robert E. Howard /

Journal Title:

Edition/Reels/Volume:

TN: 79493

has been cancelled by Interlibrary Loan for the following reason:

Lending Library Fee.

Please authorize by entering noted amount [$23.00] in Maximum Authorized Loan Fee field and resubmit request. There is only one owning library, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. They charge a loan fee of $23.00.