• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Talbot Mundy....

Note his interest in Mundy's character Yasmini. That's a name that pops ups in various forms years later - Yasmina, Yasmela.

Persian & middle eastern name.

Too bad Mundy isn't still (or really never was) read like H. Lamb or Haggard.

Couple Mundy quotes that I saved for one reason or another:

I have failed often at what I attempted , and at the time I have learned from failure nothing except not to flatter it by calling it the end. At its worst it is but a beginning of some new phase of destiny. But looking backward, as when remembering night at daybreak, I have learned what gives me courage to look forward. I perceive that failure more often than not is the fruit of man's forgetfulness of his own importance in the Eternal Plan.

I have seen many a man ape humility by magnifying the importance of his office and denying his own claim to be more than a servant. But his office is what he makes it, as a ship is what her builder makes her and behaves as her master directs. If a ship's crew is unseamanly, I know her master's character, no matter what his chastity of homage to the ill luck that he bids me witness. If I see a city foul with lewdness, I know its rulers' character, no matter what their mouthings about the sanctity of office and the grandeur of their institutions.

I was looking over some GA books this evening - marveling at their simplicity and charm.

Then it occurred to me that BangZoom had every one of them in better condition.

I sprung from my chair and did a Tiger-like fist pump and said "YES!" as loud as I could. My dog started barking wondering what was wrong with me.

God bless you, BangZoom for being the collector you are.

I was looking over some GA books this evening - marveling at their simplicity and charm.

I sprung from my chair and did a Tiger-like fist pump and said "YES!" as loud as I could. My dog started barking wondering what was wrong with me.

(worship)

:signfunny:

God bless YOU, Gary. lol

BZ,

If I remember correctly, you were a fan of "Calling 2-R". While sorting through some old scans, I noticed that Jack Warren (Alonso Vincent) also did this strip.

4259049743_39b5477b36_b.jpg

Neat, I never heard of that strip. (thumbs u

Has anyone ever written a comprehensive article about Warren's career?

I know he was a generation older than most of the other cartoonists illustrating comic books at that time. I wonder which artists influenced him?

His work on "Calling 2-R" certainly had a different look than other SF strips.

2R1.jpg

2R2.jpg

2R3.jpg

2R4.jpg

2R5.jpg

2R6.jpg

2R7.jpg

2R8.jpg

Talbot Mundy....

Note his interest in Mundy's character Yasmini. That's a name that pops ups in various forms years later - Yasmina, Yasmela.

Persian & middle eastern name.

Too bad Mundy isn't still (or really never was) read like H. Lamb or Haggard.

I don't recall ever reading a story by Mundy, Lamb, or Haggard. :(

Does their work still hold up?

I don't recall ever reading a story by Mundy, Lamb, or Haggard. :(

Does their work still hold up?

I read King Solomon's Mines (1885) last May / June and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing isn't stilted at all considering when it was written. The action sequences are holding you in suspense and there is a fantastic battle / strategy sequence in the middle of the book. I gave it high mark and a strong recommendation for an escapist read.

I have tried twice I believe reading some work by Mundy but never made it past the first few pages ... I should try it again. The problem is that it's getting harder and harder to get his work. I am considering trying the Tros of Samothrace series next.

I read King Solomon's Mines (1885) last May / June and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing isn't stilted at all considering when it was written. The action sequences are holding you in suspense and there is a fantastic battle / strategy sequence in the middle of the book. I gave it high mark and a strong recommendation for an escapist read.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put that title on my reading list. :)

I recently read Arthur Friel's River of Seven Stars which is an account of his adventures traveling up Venezuela's Orinoco River in the early 1920's. (Thanks interlibrary loan). Several people on the Pulp Mags discussion group had recommended it. It was a good book. I'd like to read more of his his work.

Let me second Scrooge on Haggard. I read KSM and She and enjoyed them both. As for Mundy, I also liked Tros a lot, but I may be biased because of my enjoyment of Roman history. I can see the appeal these stories would have had to the boys in the early 20th century for whom Caesar's Gallic Wars would have been required reading in school. Tros gives the other side of the story. Also easy to understand why it would appeal REH with his attraction to barabarians over the decadent civilized Romans. There is a an oversized paperback version of the complete series in print. Haven't had the chance to read Lamb yet.

So I had a pretty adventurous few days last week. I was working near Cape Canaveral, mapping a old Sugar Mill, reburying some Native American remains, and helping the rangers pull half-frozen sea turtles out of the lagoon. So after a cold, wet, exhausting week we stopped at St. Augustine on the way back where I visted an antiquarian bookstore in the downtown historical district.

They had a great selection of SF firsts and cool stuff. I was checking out some of the nice Grant REH volumes and was thinking about picking up a copy of Sowers of Thunder signed by Krenkel - but then I saw it! My first ERB McClurg first edition!

WoMMcClurg01.jpg

WoMMcClurg02.jpg

WoMMcClurg03.jpg