• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Speaking of vintage art, anyone see the ad for "American Pickers" on TV? They were showing a stash of Harold Gray art they found.

I've been watching that show ever since I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.

Last night's episode had a bit of a surprise ending with the Harold Gray art, didn't it?

I missed it! :cry:

What happened?

Speaking of vintage art, anyone see the ad for "American Pickers" on TV? They were showing a stash of Harold Gray art they found.

I've been watching that show ever since I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.

Last night's episode had a bit of a surprise ending with the Harold Gray art, didn't it?

I missed it! :cry:

What happened?

After much buildup about the artwork, it was revealed that the drawings were most likely done by a different (non-famous) Harold Gray.

Actually, my reason for asking is I recently picked up this original Ewer page from Puck (1914, as far as I can tell.) I was wondering if you might know which issue--I'd love to find a copy.

puck.jpg

:gossip: October 31, 1914 - Page 9

95515.jpg

Very cool that you were able to find those, Scrooge. :applause:

Does your school have other early 20th century humor magazines (Judge, Life, etc.) on microfilm?

Very cool that you were able to find those, Scrooge. :applause:

Does your school have other early 20th century humor magazines (Judge, Life, etc.) on microfilm?

I don't believe they have either Judge or Life but Puck was part of the APS series:

American Periodical Series - Microfilm

Consists of three separate series:

APS I - American Periodicals, 18th Century (88 periodicals on 33 reels), 1741-1800

APS II - American Periodicals, 1800-1850 (923 periodicals on 1,966 reels)

APS III - American Periodicals, 1850-1900 -

To know exactly what's including I would have to look through the finding aid: American Periodicals 1741-1900: An Index to the Microfilm Collections which includes indexes by Title, Subject, Editor, and Reel Number Index.

It makes you wonder....what if Brundage had worked for DC comics?

4480714316_8419809aac.jpg

I like that. :applause:

Have you photoshopped any images of famous comic characters interacting with each other?

Something along the lines of Batman and D ick Tracy teaming up against the Joker and Flattop? lol

It makes you wonder....what if Brundage had worked for DC comics?

4480714316_8419809aac.jpg

I like that. :applause:

Have you photoshopped any images of famous comic characters interacting with each other?

Something along the lines of Batman and D ick Tracy teaming up against the Joker and Flattop? lol

I only have this Buzzy and Hangman by Storm.

4482507325_09923784e1.jpg

This cover goes with the Perfect Crime and Detective covers and the villian is actually named the Silhouette.

But I think a baseball bat would be more effective against GL than a hatchet.

4485202696_aa4445aae0.jpg3845469216_7b578d3286.jpg

I don't know if you sub to Illustration BZ but the most recent issue, # 29, is solely dedicated to H.J. Ward.

Dave Saunders knocks another one out of the ballpark, providing a great narrative around little biographical data and providing most of that that I've seen available. The reproduction quality is splendid as ever in the mag, which at $ 15 cover price (further discounted at DCBS) is a bargain.

Ward's association with The Lone Ranger and The Green Hornet was a revelation to me and even his canonical Superman painting is covered in the article. I've been soaking in the article these past two days and marveling at Ward's lurid art.