• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

:hi:

What did I miss? :shy:

25 Action 1 threads

...and post your top ten books! an' your best covers! and post yer whole dang collection, and Bille Parker and Mr Bedrock being insulted by Gator...oh right, that's nothing new....

...uh, hello. I'm a new boy here and very immature... :hi:

:hi:

What did I miss? :shy:

Ah, the best weekend of the year just got better. What a great gift to hear from BZ again.

So tell us, BZ - were you traveling or just taking a break from comics for awhile?

Oh great and wise BZ, why is it that Roy Crane's name is rarely uttered in the same breath as Foster, Cannif and Raymond when people talk about great adventure strips when in reality he more than deserves to be part of that quartet?

Is it once again a case of realistic vs. cartoonish art?

Welcome back :foryou:

Oh great and wise BZ, why is it that Roy Crane's name is rarely uttered in the same breath as Foster, Cannif and Raymond when people talk about great adventure strips when in reality he more than deserves to be part of that quartet?

Crane does seem to frequently get the short shrift from comic fans when they talk about the greats, which is unfortunate.

However, I know his fellow cartoonists always held him in the highest regard. I've read many interviews with cartoonists and Crane's work was always admired by his peers. I even recall reading an interview with Caniff in which he was quoted as saying Crane's strip had influenced his own work.

Noteworthy is the fact that Crane won the National Cartoonists Society's Reuben award in 1950 (right between Alex Raymond who won in 1949 and Walt Kelly who was the winner in 1951).

Regarding the issue of the appreciation of realistic vs cartoonish art: It is, thankfully, a prejudice held specifically only by some of the collectors on these boards and not shared by all fans of comic art. In the last year I've become a frequent reader of many other forums (including: http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/ ) and the comic book work of many old time greats (such as Dan Gordon) who are rarely mentioned on these boards, are given a great deal of attention at these other sites.

Crane does seem to frequently get the short shrift from comic fans when they talk about the greats, which is unfortunate.

However, I know his fellow cartoonists always held him in the highest regard. I've read many interviews with cartoonists and Crane's work was always held in the highest regard by his peers. I even recall reading an interview with Caniff in which he was quoted as saying Crane's strip had influenced his own work.

Noteworthy is the fact that Crane won the National Cartoonists Society's Reuben award in 1950 (right between Alex Raymond who won in 1949 and Walt Kelly who was the winner in 1951).

Regarding the issue of the appreciation of realistic vs cartoonish art: It is, thankfully, a prejudice held specifically only by some of the collectors on these boards and not shared by all fans of comic art. In the last year I've become a frequent reader of many other forums (including: http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/ ) and the comic book work of many old time greats (such as Dan Gordon) who are rarely mentioned on these boards, are given a great deal of attention at these other sites.

His work is so impressive in full size format. I have a page with a crazy witch doctor that reminds me of a Barks' story. Turner's work was pretty good too. Crane taught him all of his tricks.

4513040636_e9605f63f9_b.jpg

Regarding the issue of the appreciation of realistic vs cartoonish art: It is, thankfully, a prejudice held specifically only by some of the collectors on these boards

:sumo:

P.S.: Bonus points for who can name the artist.

104912.jpg.1ebba8516a9d54cc0b85ff613e306bf2.jpg

Regarding the issue of the appreciation of realistic vs cartoonish art: It is, thankfully, a prejudice held specifically only by some of the collectors on these boards

Could be Kamen or some Marvel artist from the sixties.

George Evans?