• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I always send them back. Their shipping department has gotten horrible over the past few years. I've found my return rate to be around 40% these days. It can't be profitable for them, but maybe most people don't care.

I've had a few disappointments with them lately. This is just the latest. :(

I called Amazon this evening to complain about the Ward book and they said they'd send a replacement via next day mail. Unfortunately, in the past the replacement sometimes is in worse shape than the original.

I received my copy last week and I am very disappointed b/c it looks like most, if not the majority, of the text is verbatim what the issue of Illustration carried. Sure, there are more illos inside but ... at that price, I could have been better served with just the mag issue. meh

I don't have the magazine so the book was a good deal at $26.95 (ppd) vs $15 for the magazine.

I'm surprised there wasn't more in the book to interest you. It has 272 pages. Is the difference between the book and the mag just additional illos?

From my brief scanning, more illo, i.e., most all of his pulp covers versus only a selection in the mag and more close-up of his actual work in the book compared to the article but text is mainly the same from my cursory glance. Maybe I'll like it better if I ever get a chance to sit down and flip slowly through it.

I always send them back. Their shipping department has gotten horrible over the past few years. I've found my return rate to be around 40% these days. It can't be profitable for them, but maybe most people don't care.

I've had a few disappointments with them lately. This is just the latest. :(

I called Amazon this evening to complain about the Ward book and they said they'd send a replacement via next day mail. Unfortunately, in the past the replacement sometimes is in worse shape than the original.

My replacement copy arrived.

The good news is that Amazon sure was quick in shipping it out.

The bad news is...

:pullhair:

amazon.jpg

amazon2.jpg

I feel your pain. While I am lenient on the condition of my vintage comics, my new books shouldn't have any bumps.

Send it back again.

For all my seeming complaints about the book, you will enjoy it once you can sit down and read it.

I feel your pain. While I am lenient on the condition of my vintage comics, my new books shouldn't have any bumps.

Send it back again.

For all my seeming complaints about the book, you will enjoy it once you can sit down and read it.

(thumbs u

Hi BZ,

did you get a chance to sit down with the Ward book or did you send it back?

Also, I do not recall your posting too many of your Astounding Stories apart from a few cool covers and maybe the Lovecraft issues. Do you have a good chunk of the set? I don't recall if you are so much of a Sci-Fi fan. Are you?

BZ

I have that site (Leif Peng) on my favorites list. He had some interesting stories about working in Al Capp's shop a while back.

I was talking with a local professor the other day and he mentioned that he published an article about Joe Kubert's "Tales of the Green Beret".

I was suprised to learn that the story line was written by Al Capp's brother, Jerry.

Alter Ego was supposed to publish an article about Toby press, which they involved with but I think I missed that issue.

Hi BZ,

did you get a chance to sit down with the Ward book or did you send it back?

Also, I do not recall your posting too many of your Astounding Stories apart from a few cool covers and maybe the Lovecraft issues. Do you have a good chunk of the set? I don't recall if you are so much of a Sci-Fi fan. Are you?

I returned both of the damaged H.J. Ward books. I'd rather pay more and own a copy in nice condition.

Regarding Astounding: I have approximately 98% of the issues published between 1930 and 1979.

I think the magazine had some very entertaining covers but there wasn't much interest in the examples I posted so I was reluctant to post more of them.

My interest in science fiction pulps is mostly due to the visual appeal. I enjoy reading the letter columns and editorial material, but the stories themselves...not so much.

astounding193008.jpg

August 1930

I was talking with a local professor the other day and he mentioned that he published an article about Joe Kubert's "Tales of the Green Beret".

I was suprised to learn that the story line was written by Al Capp's brother, Jerry.

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with Jerry Capp. I know about his brother Elliott (writer of The Heart of Juliet Jones), but if I've ever read about Jerry, I have forgotten him.

According to several accounts I've read, Howard Liss is generally credited as the writer of the Green Beret comic strip. Did your friend mention any details about Jerry's specific contributions in the writing department?

I returned both of the damaged H.J. Ward books. I'd rather pay more and own a copy in nice condition.

Regarding Astounding: I have approximately 98% of the issues published between 1930 and 1979.

I think the magazine had some very entertaining covers but there wasn't much interest in the examples I posted so I was reluctant to post more of them.

My interest in science fiction pulps is mostly due to the visual appeal. I enjoy reading the letter columns and editorial material, but the stories themselves...not so much.

astounding193008.jpg

August 1930

:thumbsup: The guy at forefront looks like Dobie (sp?) in Harry Potter.

But, isn't Astounding supposed to be THE ONE when it comes to Sci-Fi pulps or am I mistaken? I am not well-versed in the realm of sci-fi at all and I am trying to figure them out. I could do a little more online search but what's the fun of that. The one thing I keep on hearing is that TWS for all its wonderful covers tended to cater to the younger crowd as opposed to Astounding. I wouldn't mind sampling a few Astounding beyond the 2 issues I have (Dec. 1938 & March 1942).

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with Jerry Capp. I know about his brother Elliott (writer of The Heart of Juliet Jones), but if I've ever read about Jerry, I have forgotten him.

According to several accounts I've read, Howard Liss is generally credited as the writer of the Green Beret comic strip. Did your friend mention any details about Jerry's specific contributions in the writing department?

I checked this with Robin Moore's book and I guess you were right. Howard Liss was the writer and Jerry was more of an editor/producer who organized the business. I misunderstood his role and gave him too much creative credit.

Bruce

Edited by BB-Gun

Scrooge- Astounding is the ONE! when Amazing & Wonder paled in early 1930s Astounding took over in the story department with writers like John W Campbell (who would become editor and launch 'modern SF'), Stanley Weinbaum, Jack Williamson, and Clifford D Simak producing great stuff. When Campbell took over editor in '39 we start to get Heinlein, Sturgeon, Asimov, Van Vogt, etc. I love Simak- his 'Cosmic Engineers' is a 1939 classic, as is his 1964 Hugo winner 'Way Station'. perhaps the short stories of the era are even better: Simak's 1944 'Desertion' at 10 pages or so is a KEY to 'Avatar'. been avid fan 50 yrs let me know if you need author suggestions.

img148.jpg