• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

yes- that one was resonating in the back of my mind too- more possible inspiration from Griffith & Jane... great Ernie Schroeder cover from near the end of the run (third to last ish). Just like us- fans in the 1930s searched far and wide for 'the good stuff'- no doubt many had Brit books...

There was a fair amount of Victorian SF. George Griffith wrote quite a few novels that were popular in 1890s England

img288.jpg

Thanks for bringing up such interesting topics. :applause:

I remember reading about Griffith many years ago in The Science Fiction Encyclopedia. I recall wishing that I could learn more about the man and his work. Now, with the Internet making research so handy, I can do so.

From Wikipedia:

George Griffith

Although somewhat overshadowed by H. G. Wells, Griffith's epic fantasies of romantic anarchists in a future world of war dominated by airship battlefleets and grandiose engineering provided a template for steampunk novels a century before the term was coined. The influence of books such as The Angel of the Revolution and the character of Olga Romanoff on British fantasy writer Michael Moorcock is striking. The concept of revolutionaries imposing "a 'pax aeronautica' over the earth", at the center of Angel of the Revolution, was taken up by Wells many years later, in The Shape of Things to Come. Wells himself once wrote that Griffith's Outlaws of the Air was an "aeronautical masterpiece."

Though a less accomplished writer than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Rudyard Kipling or H.G. Wells, his novels were extremely popular in their day, seeing many printings, and foreshadowed World War I and the Russian Revolutions and the concepts of the air to surface missile and VTOL aircraft. He wrote several tales of adventure set on contemporary earth, while The Outlaws of the Air depicted a future of aerial warfare and the creation of a Pacific island utopia.

His science fiction depicted grand and unlikely voyages through our solar system in the spirit of Wells or Jules Verne, though his explorers donned space suits remarkably prescient in their design. Honeymoon in Space saw his newly married adventurers exploring planets in different stages of geological and Darwinian evolution on an educational odyssey which drew heavily on earlier cosmic voyages by Camille Flammarion, W. S. Lach-Szyrma, and Edgar Fawcett. Its illustrations by Stanley Wood have proved more significant, providing the first depictions of slender, super intelligent aliens with large, bald heads — the archetype of the famous Greys of modern science fiction. His short story The Great Crellin Comet, published in 1897, was the first story to not only include a ten second countdown for a space launch, but also the first story to suggest that a cometary collision with the earth could be stopped by human intervention.

As an explorer of the real world he shattered the existing record for voyaging around the world, completing his journey in just 65 days, and helped discover the source of the Amazon river. This was documented in Pearson's Weekly newspaper before being published as a book Around the World in 65 Days in 2009. He died of cirrhosis of the liver, at the age of 48, in 1906. His son was famed aeronautical genius Alan Arnold Griffith, who was the inventor of the Avon jet engine.

After all that turkey is a good time to praise things avian, and the greatest bird of the GA was Birdie, Airboy’s fantastic wing-flapping machine-gun-blasting plane and ‘companion’. Seems I saw something like her in an old book…

img288.jpg

img289.jpg

Here is an especially cool depiction of a wing-flapping space ship from the pulps.

astounding193301.jpg

Astounding Stories January 1933

I picked up a few items recently which I am fond of. I remember this thread started with All Americans but don't remember if you went through any issues by Ace. Mooney art is really good.

These two seemed kind of nice.

5229070627_93e3fdecaa_z.jpg5229664136_da7e91d134_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I picked up a few items recently which I am fond of. I remember this thread started with All Americans but don't remember if you went through any issues by Ace. Mooney art is really nice.

5229664136_da7e91d134_z.jpg

Big fan of this book. I need to get one of these again one day :wishluck:

5229070627_93e3fdecaa_z.jpg

Our Flag doesn't get much attention in collecting circles, but I think it had some interesting stories.

Here are a few pages from The Flag's origin in issue #2 (thanks to Digital Comic Museum for the scans).

ourflag1.jpg

ourflag2.jpg

ourflag3.jpg

I picked up a few items recently which I am fond of. I remember this thread started with All Americans but don't remember if you went through any issues by Ace. Mooney art is really nice.

Me too! I collect the pre-GL All-Americans. A rather odd mixture of strips from Ultra Man to Scribbly to Hop Harrigan! There's some hard-to-find issues in the first 15, plus three cool Ultra Man cvrs! :banana:

Me too! I collect the pre-GL All-Americans. A rather odd mixture of strips from Ultra Man to Scribbly to Hop Harrigan! There's some hard-to-find issues in the first 15, plus three cool Ultra Man cvrs! :banana:

I think the Mystery Men of Mars series was pretty cool too.

1737394492_5336ea9e83_z.jpg

We haven't had a Pop Quiz in the Golden Age Forum for a long time so I thought it was about time we gave it another go.

This time around I've decided to take a page from Bronty's playbook (in Comics General) and post a bunch of different images all at once so that everyone can have an equal shot at recognizing a cover no matter what genre they collect.

I've chosen images from super-hero comics, westerns, funny animal, crime, teenage humor, etc.

They date from 1938 up to 1951.

Have fun. :D