• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

But, isn't Astounding supposed to be THE ONE when it comes to Sci-Fi pulps or am I mistaken? I am not well-versed in the realm of sci-fi at all and I am trying to figure them out. I could do a little more online search but what's the fun of that. The one thing I keep on hearing is that TWS for all its wonderful covers tended to cater to the younger crowd as opposed to Astounding. I wouldn't mind sampling a few Astounding beyond the 2 issues I have (Dec. 1938 & March 1942).

Scrooge, Astounding paid the highest rates in the business and as a result it attracted the leading authors of the day. Under John Campbell's stewardship as editor, the magazine raised the standards of the genre. He helped discover and develop the work of many of the most respected authors of the field.

I used to love science fiction when I was younger, but now I'm attracted to other reading. Perhaps I misunderstood your original question. If you're looking for confirmation about ASF's reputation, it is stellar, no doubt about it.

BZ- as latecomer to board I'll say 'your' thread is the only one I'm reading whole- have done 1-310 & 1040-up- Love it! cheers, Pat

Thanks very much, Pat. :foryou:

The board has a great group of collectors on it and I've learned a lot by chatting with everyone.

I know we've posted fanzines in this thread before, so I wanted to share this one with you all. I've been after this one a long while. It includes a Detective Comics index!

batmania19.jpg

Congratulations, Bill. :applause:

I love those early fanzines. I don't think their entertainment value has diminished through the years. I'm surprised in reading them today how much great research was actually done so long ago.

I remember enjoying Michael Friedrich's article about selling his first pro -script in that issue of Bat-Mania.

And I don't want to forget to wish you a ... :gossip:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! party.gifbestwishes.gif

speaking of great reads (I think Scrooge was...) and bookcases found pic of part of another case- old pb's lean more towards crime than SF but Cornell Woolrich (aka William Irish) is spooky and super enough to transcend genre... Hitch got 'Rear Window' from him... His 'black' books, especially, The Bride Wore Black, The Black Path of Fear, The Black Angel, and Rendezvous in Black are wonderful as is Phantom Lady + many great short stories... & Happy Birthday Bill !!!!!

first%20001.jpg

ps - the 'Dr Solar' on top was inscribed and sent to me by Paul S Newman after the interview I did with him in CBM paved the way to coming to Comicon and getting award...

img249.jpg

fantadv.jpg

I have the American counterpart of that pulp. I see from reading an online synopsis of the plot that the story takes place in a traveling circus. I'm a sucker for stories that involve circuses and carnivals so I might have to read this one. :)

dreamingjewels.jpg

Cornell Woolrich (aka William Irish) is spooky and super enough to transcend genre... Hitch got 'Rear Window' from him... His 'black' books, especially, The Bride Wore Black, The Black Path of Fear, The Black Angel, and Rendezvous in Black are wonderful as is Phantom Lady + many great short stories...

I posted a photo of a few Dell 10¢ paperbacks a couple of years ago. This shot includes Woolrich's Marihuana.

dell2.jpg

But, isn't Astounding supposed to be THE ONE when it comes to Sci-Fi pulps or am I mistaken? I am not well-versed in the realm of sci-fi at all and I am trying to figure them out. I could do a little more online search but what's the fun of that. The one thing I keep on hearing is that TWS for all its wonderful covers tended to cater to the younger crowd as opposed to Astounding. I wouldn't mind sampling a few Astounding beyond the 2 issues I have (Dec. 1938 & March 1942).

Scrooge, Astounding paid the highest rates in the business and as a result it attracted the leading authors of the day. Under John Campbell's stewardship as editor, the magazine raised the standards of the genre. He helped discover and develop the work of many of the most respected authors of the field.

I used to love science fiction when I was younger, but now I'm attracted to other reading. Perhaps I misunderstood your original question. If you're looking for confirmation about ASF's reputation, it is stellar, no doubt about it.

No, you've got it right. My mind was musing into Sci-Fi for some reason and I thought there'd be some board members well versed into that culture. My only experience with sci-fi was in the '80's with some trashy cheap paperbacks by what I seem to remember were no name authors. Then I did read the whole cycle of Dune but never made it to Asimov or Heinlein or much else for that matter. Fantasy is where it was at for me but as I get older, I recognize that fantasy or sci-fi is only a genre and that the story underneath is what matters regardless of genre and as pulp prices continue of going down, why not look into the grand-daddy of the genre if cheap copies turn up. This is the result I was looking for: you, Pat and anyone else jumping in.

I know this next question is impossible to answer ... but what time period should I target with these random buys? 1939 to 1950 or what? :shrug:

My best guess at to why I have been thinking sci-fi is this pile of books with Mars and Venus in some of the titles. Never read Burroughs before, just audio-ed Tarzan of the Apes a couple of years ago so when I could grab a nice stack of cheap ppbs spanning ERB's entire output, I took the plunge :insane: Currently reading the second Tarzan.

106418.jpg.e8f4c4f7f5e104c9d9c99ca8b26704d4.jpg

106419.jpg.b08e835d19070bb622cf9ed976193098.jpg

I know this next question is impossible to answer ... but what time period should I target with these random buys? 1939 to 1950 or what? :shrug:

If you're referring to Astounding, many consider the Golden Age from 1939 to 1946.

Alva Rogers, who wrote the book A Requiem for Astounding, said 1941 was the best year ever.

I know we've posted fanzines in this thread before, so I wanted to share this one with you all. I've been after this one a long while. It includes a Detective Comics index!

batmania19.jpg

Congratulations, Bill. :applause:

I love those early fanzines. I don't think their entertainment value has diminished through the years. I'm surprised in reading them today how much great research was actually done so long ago.

I remember enjoying Michael Friedrich's article about selling his first pro -script in that issue of Bat-Mania.

And I don't want to forget to wish you a ... :gossip:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! party.gifbestwishes.gif

Why thank ya very much BZ :)

speaking of great reads (I think Scrooge was...) and bookcases found pic of part of another case- old pb's lean more towards crime than SF but Cornell Woolrich (aka William Irish) is spooky and super enough to transcend genre... Hitch got 'Rear Window' from him... His 'black' books, especially, The Bride Wore Black, The Black Path of Fear, The Black Angel, and Rendezvous in Black are wonderful as is Phantom Lady + many great short stories... & Happy Birthday Bill !!!!!

Thanks Pat (thumbs u

If you're referring to Astounding, many consider the Golden Age from 1939 to 1946.

Alva Rogers, who wrote the book A Requiem for Astounding, said 1941 was the best year ever.

Yes, yes, I meant Astounding. This is exactly what I was wanting to hear / know. Thanks BZ.