• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

On a very different note from Macfadden- one of my favorite comics (is PB style) that may be scarce as Archie apparently won a lawsuit against MB and many copies were destroyed-recalled or some such… 1962 reprints from ‘Help’ mag: with spoofs of S*perm*n, T*rz*n, Sea Hunt, and Archie.

img525.jpg

That's a cool looking book. I've never seen it before.

Since we're on the topic of humor paperbacks...

Here is Harvey Kurtzman's Fun and Games.

harveykurtzman.jpg

Thanks for sharing these less common pulps. (thumbs u

tropicaladventures192805.jpg

Tropical Adventures (May 1928)

I 'm happy there's an audience for it. :)

All ten of us appreciate it :applause:

Thanks, Richard. lol

Sometimes I grow worried when I hear the sound of crickets emanating from my speakers for too long a period of time. ;)

I 'm happy there's an audience for it. :)

All ten of us appreciate it :applause:

Eleven now :hi:

I met a fine gentelman at the local Vintage Paper Con last weekend, and he mentioned owning some Weird Tales purchased long ago from a dealer named Robert Weinberg.

We met today and he had several dozen nice mid-range copies. Unfortunately, some of the books had paper quality (too brown) that I just could not accept (even on pulps).

But I did pick up the ones that passed muster; they're not anywhere BZ quality, the paper could be better (still supple - I checked), but the prices were reasonable and I just love 'em.

Cross-posted from the "Pulp" thread (hope some of you don't mind seeing them again - yeah, I'm a proud papa).

June 1938

WTJune38.jpg

:applause: Steve. Looks like you're having fun with the pulps. It's great to see you this excited :banana:

Bob Weinberg has been a name in pulp circles for a loooong time. Still based out of Chicago I believe.

Congrats, Steve, 4/34 Great Ish- 5 Classic Stories & Madame Margaret etc- YUM !!

4/34 WT highlights

Black Thirst [*Northwest Smith] • C. L. Moore • novelette

Corsairs of the Cosmos [*Interstellar Patrol] • Edmond Hamilton • novelette

Shadows in the Moonlight [*Conan] • Robert E. Howard • novelette

The Death of Malygris [*Malygris] • Clark Ashton Smith • short story

Bells of Oceana • Arthur J. Burks • short story

we are talking Super-Pulp !!!

I met a fine gentelman at the local Vintage Paper Con last weekend, and he mentioned owning some Weird Tales purchased long ago from a dealer named Robert Weinberg.

We met today and he had several dozen nice mid-range copies. Unfortunately, some of the books had paper quality (too brown) that I just could not accept (even on pulps).

But I did pick up the ones that passed muster; they're not anywhere BZ quality, the paper could be better (still supple - I checked), but the prices were reasonable and I just love 'em.

You're really starting out your pulp collection with a bang! That's an impressive group of Weird Tales you bought. :applause:

If you haven't already done so, you should look around Robert Weinberg's website.

I especially liked this page that shows off some of the rarest pulps in his collection: Link

I also strongly recommend Robert Weinberg's book, The Weird Tales Story .

weinberg.jpg

March 1938 (Lovecraft)

WTMarch38.jpg

This is one of my favorite Brundage covers.

I'm usually not all that fond of red covers, but this one is a knockout.

This is why I always say you should never be naked around human skulls. Clearly, no good can come from it and, in this case, something weird happens.