• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

My 3 final pickups from Saturday:

August 1938 (Lovecraft)

WTAugust38.jpg

Fabulous.

I love the comic-book swipes and near-swipes. Lois Lane 11 is close, but not close enough. DC liked this cover concept.

Jack

110989.jpg.d56bb6f4817d6f3b33ea14d55e4c063e.jpg

February 1937 (Robert E. Howard; Finlay's 1st cover this title)

Slightly misbound so significant overhang at bottom.

WTFebruary37.jpg

Incredible detail on that cover :applause:

lol - is it just me or does that gal look incredibly bored while her guard fights off hoards of the undead?

*Yawn* "Zombies again? Why can't it ever be pirates? Or Johnny Depp dressed as a pirate? That would be awesome."

April 1936 (Howard)

WTApril36.jpg

Thank You everyone for the comments and feedback; these fantastic pulps - and the discussion surrounding them - really made my weekend.

Incredible bunch of Weird Tales you acquired. :applause:

You started your collection right in the sweet spot of the run as far as covers go...Brundage, Bok, and Finlay. :applause:

There was a big ruckus in the library this morning.

Apparently two of the interns got into a heated discussion over the relative merits of the Dewey Decimal System vs the Library of Congress Classification System for cataloging books.

spicydetective193506.jpg

Cover: H.J. Ward

Apparently two of the interns got into a headed discussion over the relative merits of the Dewey Decimal System vs the Library of Congress Classification System for cataloging books.

spicydetective193506.jpg

:signfunny:

Love those Spicy covers.

Apparently two of the interns got into a headed discussion over the relative merits of the Dewey Decimal System vs the Library of Congress Classification System for cataloging books.

spicydetective193506.jpg

lol I have to get to that library.

What a great cover BZ! This is one of my fav SPICY covers... close up lingerie cat-fight! (worship) Ward was a genius.

I'm awaiting my first SPICY DETECTIVE , should be here soon!

I had no idea the interiors were so, uh ... profusely illustrated.

Profuse would not be the word I would use when trying to describe the attire of the female characters.

Did that issue have a comic story inside?

As expected, my first SPICY arrived today! The muted colors are so well chosen. Ward was such an amazing artist.

SPICYDETECTIVEjuly36.jpg

I had no idea the interiors were so, uh ... profusely illustrated. :blush:

Very nice, Ryan - I don't care much for spicy food, but I sure do like Spicy pulps!

Alanna, I notice that quite a few of the magazines you've posted have covers by artists we're familiar with. Are the stories by authors whose names we'd recognize?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one BZ - having taken a look through a fair few mags and done a little more research, the gist of it is that while the pulp artists found a home working for Martin Goodman and other magazine publishers after the war, the wonderful pulp writers apparently did not. It's difficult to be certain, because from what I can gather, the majority of stories were written under pseudonym. Also, much of the content while claiming to be based more or less on real life experiences, were simply made up by the authors. One writer made the mistake of writing about a mythical agency on the west coast that arranged marriages for reformed prostitutes - and the offices were allegedly besieged by lonely men!

Anyway, harking back to adventure covers, here are a few by Mort Kunstler - who never worked for the pulps as far as I know, but did make a reputation for himself as a historical painter - especially of the civil war - and the last one is by Bama.

formenonly002.jpg

male1958.jpg

men1958.jpg

Edited by alanna

I really like this thread. Best in the history of the interwebs?

I have to remark though that I also have a huge need to read (and savour the illustrations) of:

""Madam Half-Caste" - She Led Her Guerilla Warriors In The Nude".

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I really like this thread. Best in the history of the interwebs?

I have to remark though that I also have a huge need to read (and savour the illustrations) of:

""Madam Half-Caste" - She Led Her Guerilla Warriors In The Nude".

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Spicy Detective and Weird Tales are especially rare and collectible but men's magazines (from the fifties and sixties) are not in general interesting unless they have Baker art or Saunders covers. I also like them for articles on Marilyn Monroe and Elvis. :sumo: