• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

In the spirit of covering all editions, here's the Avon paperback.

AvonPaperbackShipIshtar.jpg

Interestingly, Russ Manning was going to take over the Four Color John Carter series with Chessmen, but it got canceled. Here's the art for what would have been FC 528.

5719394135_f6a9035c83_b.jpg

I like the Frazetta version. hm

lol Awesome! :applause:

all-story19171124.jpg

All-Story Weekly (November 24, 1917)

"The Cosmic Courtship" by Julian Hawthorne (1846-1934).

Of special note is the fact that Julian was the son of famed novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Here is a summary of the story from google.

2001 A.D. Manhattan has grown enormously, with huge skyscrapers. Individual flying machines are in common use, men and women have equal rights. Our heroine Miriam Mayne answers a psychic message and meets Mary Faust, who has long been concerned with interplanetary communication and matter transmission. The two women thereupon take up work together on such a project. When Miriam has been missing for a time, however, her suitor Jack Paladin comes looking for her. Mary shows him an elaborate machine used for transporting personalities to other planets, explaining that Miriam has accidentally shifted herself to Saturn. Her unconscious body lies in the lab. Unfortunately, adds Ms. Faust, the process is one-way; there, but not back.

This issue also includes Merrit's first story ever published in the pulps, "Through the Dragon Glass."

img666.jpg

:applause:

Thanks for taking the time to scan the spine, inside flaps, and back cover. It'll probably be my only opportunity to see them.

I noticed that the back cover mentioned "Through the Dragon Glass" rather cryptically.

all-story19171124.jpg

You are killing me with these glorious covers!

I'm happy you're enjoying them. I love them, too. I'm surprised there isn't an entire subset of collectors who specialized in these pulps. The artwork on the covers throughout this period have a beauty that, I think, is irresistible.

i thot 4E's allusion was sweet. to think that the 'Dragon Glass' debuted with one of my heroes on (another beaut) the cover. the 'Rose of Death' is recent- Jessica Amanda Salmonson has rescued some gems and provided an excellent intro. 'Archibald' is 2nd print 1899 Funk & Wagnalls. they came out with new version after the success of 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde'- as this is also a novel of evil doppelganger...(that predates it- first 1879). i love Nathaniel too- wrote great weirdies!

img668.jpg

img667.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

all-story19171124.jpg

You are killing me with these glorious covers!

I'm happy you're enjoying them. I love them, too. I'm surprised there isn't an entire subset of collectors who specialized in these pulps. The artwork on the covers throughout this period have a beauty that, I think, is irresistible.

You man turn me into a one-man subset if you keep posting these. lol

good one, Jeff ! looks like 1914, one of the first weekly issues.

After scanning philsp put this together:

Argosy began as ‘The Golden Argosy’ in December 1882 as a newspaper-format weekly. In April 1894 it went monthly and started a revolution with switch to pulp format. In Oct 1917 went back to weekly and in 1920 merged with All-Story Weekly. Argosy ran weekly until November 1941 and continued as a pulp until 1943 when it switched to ‘slick’ mag format and began running nonfiction as well…

All-Story began as monthly pulp Jan 1905. went weekly Mar 7 1914. so from 1917-1920 both Argosy and All-Story were weekly. Wow!

Borrowed scan from them of next to last monthly All-Story… and paired it with a 1949 yarn by same author…

all_story_191402.jpg

img670.jpg