• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here are a couple more seldom seen covers.

Both feature cover art illustrating stories by early science fiction writer, Garret Smith.

argosy19190118.jpg

Argosy (January 18, 1919)

Look at how beautiful that is. And it is almost 100 years old!

Here are a couple more seldom seen covers.

Both feature cover art illustrating stories by early science fiction writer, Garret Smith.

argosy19190118.jpg

Argosy (January 18, 1919)

Those are really cool! Never seen them before. :applause:

Story goes that ERB was miffed when Kline published his first interplanetary swashbuckler set on Venus, ‘The Planet of Peril’ begun in Argosy Jul 1929, considering any such subject matter as poaching, and his aggressive response was the genesis of his Carson of Venus series (first part published Argosy Sep 1932). And of course OAK parried that thrust by launching a series set on Mars (first part published Argosy Jan 1933).

I've always loved these interplanetary romances! Thanks so much to the posters for all these wonderful Argosy, Amazing Tales and book covers, few of which I've seen before. I read all the Boroughs Mars books many years ago, but I've never read Otis Adelbert Kline so that is a pleasure that still awaits.

Pat, I looked up O.A.K in Wikipedia, and found some interesting remarks regarding the alleged feud with Boroughs, which I dont think has been referenced so far:

Kline is best known for an apocryphal literary feud with fellow author Edgar Rice Burroughs, in which he supposedly raised the latter's ire by producing close imitations (Planet of Peril (1929) and two sequels) of Burroughs's Martian novels, though set on Venus; Burroughs, the story goes, then retaliated by writing his own Venus novels, whereupon Kline responded with an even more direct intrusion on Burroughs's territory by boldly setting two novels on Mars. Kline's jungle adventure stories, reminiscent of Burroughs's Tarzan tales, have also been cited as evidence of the conflict.[1] While the two authors did write the works in question, the theory that they did so in contention with each other is supported only circumstantially, by the resemblance and publication dates of the works themselves. The feud theory was originally set forth in a fan press article, "The Kline-Burroughs War," by Donald A. Wollheim (Science Fiction News, November, 1936), and afterward given wider circulation by Sam Moskowitz in his book Explorers of the Infinite. Richard A. Lupoff debunked the case in his book Edgar Rice Burroughs: Master of Adventure. Among the evidence cited by Lupoff discounting the feud: (1) no comment from either writer acknowledging the feud is documented, and (2) family members of the two authors have no recollection of ever hearing them mention it. In response to Lupoff's investigations Moskowitz identified his original source as Wollheim's article, while Wollheim stated, when questioned on the source of his own information: "I made it up!"

I was also very interested to learn that Kline became Howard's literary agent and managed his estate after his untimely death - and may even have completed Howard's Almuric for posthumous publication, though this appears to be disputed.

I wish I could contribute more directly to the discussion. Girasol has published replicas of the early Weird tales and I have some of those on order, so I will look out for the Kline stories therein. (I would love to have nice copies of the Burroughs Amazing Stories issues and will be looking out for them - there are some lower grade copies on Ebay at what appear highly inflated prices.)

The Avon one-shot on Tarrano the Conqueror reminded me that I do have this:

EarthmanonVenusCGC70.jpg

It was absolutely my favourite cover when I first perused the photojournal!

Edited by alanna

well, the OAK ERB feud makes good press even if apocryphal. 'nother factoid re Kline- "The Thing of a Thousand Shapes" 2-part serial (March/April 1923 WT) may be- in addition to being his first fantastic fiction sale- his first sale, period (wiki listed no previous) and that's WT #1 & #2- talk about an auspicious start for a career!

well, the OAK ERB feud makes good press even if apocryphal. 'nother factoid re Kline- "The Thing of a Thousand Shapes" 2-part serial (March/April 1923 WT) may be- in addition to being his first fantastic fiction sale- his first sale, period (wiki listed no previous) and that's WT #1 & #2- talk about an auspicious start for a career!

Yes, it's just as interesting, if not more so if the "feud" was invented! Cant wait, now, for my WT facsimiles!

Edited by alanna

Back cover states: Limited to 350 copies, all autographed, and yes, back cover also states that the book also reprints: "The Werewolf's Daughter" published in The Werewolf of Ponkert.

Back cover states: Limited to 350 copies, all autographed, and yes, back cover also states that the book also reprints: "The Werewolf's Daughter" published in The Werewolf of Ponkert.

doh!

Thanks. :foryou:

I missed that. :P

Here are a couple more Argosy pulps.

They've never been a favorite with collectors despite their generally having a great line-up of authors and some terrific covers.

argosy19180504.jpg

Argosy (May 4, 1918)

When the specialty SF small press publishers began issuing books in the late 1940s they most often would reach back to a well-remembered pulp yarn from the teens or early 1920s. A lot of them hailed from Argosy. Here –from philsp- is the Jan 24 1920 Argosy cover, with the dj, frontis, and title page from the hardback…

argosy_19200124.jpg

img639.jpg

img640.jpg

When the specialty SF small press publishers began issuing books in the late 1940s they most often would reach back to a well-remembered pulp yarn from the teens or early 1920s. A lot of them hailed from Argosy. Here –from philsp- is the Jan 24 1920 Argosy cover, with the dj, frontis, and title page from the hardback…

argosy_19200124.jpg

img639.jpg

img640.jpg

expired copyrights perhaps.

Here are a couple more Argosy pulps.

They've never been a favorite with collectors despite their generally having a great line-up of authors and some terrific covers.

argosy19180504.jpg

Argosy (May 4, 1918)

I find these early covers strikingly beautiful.

just for fun- saw one go by online, and it reminded me how good it is. back when ol sloop john d was really sailin- Dell called it orig 'cause expanded from 1955 Cosmopolitan... Robert Maguire cover matches it in gem quality hardboiled. 1956

img643.jpg