• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

All good things come to end, however, and Claudia and I eventually said our goodbyes and we are now on our way back to Tallahassee. It was a great time and I'm pretty well hooked now. I'll be coming back to Cross Plains for a long time to come. If you are a fan of REH's work and enjoy hanging out with like-minded folks in an atmoshpere that's more intimate than your typical con, then I highly recommend checking out Howard Days some year. (thumbs u

rehdays030.jpg

Terrific report, Jeff. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us. :applause:

I watched the Good Humor Man movie with Jack Carter and George Reeves this morning..

3176582273_c71bcf8fb7.jpg

goodhumorman.jpg

Did you enjoy it?

I'm a fan of Frank Tashlin who wrote the screenplay, but I'm sorry to say that I'm only familiar with the work he did in the animation field (where his credits are many) and not his feature film work.

From imdb.com:

One critic noted that he directed his cartoons like live-action films and his live-action films like cartoons.

From Wikipedia:

AnimatorTashlin drifted from job to job after dropping out of high school in New Jersey at age 13. In 1930, he started working for Paul Terry as a cartoonist on the Aesop's Film Fables cartoon series, then worked briefly for Amadee J. Van Beuren, but he was just as much a drifter in his animation career as he had been as a teenager. Tashlin joined Leon Schlesinger's cartoon studio at Warner Bros. as an animator in 1932, where he was noted as a fast animator. He used his free time to start his own comic strip in 1934 called Van Boring, inspired by former boss Van Beuren, which ran for three years. Tashlin was fired from the studio when he refused to give Schlesinger a cut of his comic strip revenues. He joined the Ub Iwerks studio in 1934. He moved to Hal Roach's studio in 1935 as a writer. He returned to Schlesinger in 1936 as an animation director where his diverse interest and knowledge of the industry brought a new understanding of camerawork to the Warners directors.

In 1938, he worked for Disney in the story department. Afterward, he served as production manager at Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems animation studio in 1941. Tashlin rejoined the Warner directors of "Termite Terrace" in 1943. He stayed with the studio during World War II and worked on numerous wartime shorts, including the Private Snafu educational films.

Film directorTashlin moved on from animation in 1946 to become a gag writer for the Marx Brothers, Lucille Ball, and others, and as a screenwriter for stars such as Bob Hope and Red Skelton. His live-action films still echo elements of his animation background; Tashlin peppers them with unlikely sight gags, breakneck pacing, and unexpected plot twists.

Tashlin began his career directing feature films when he was asked to finish directing the 1951 film The Lemon Drop Kid starring Bob Hope.

Beginning with the 1956 film The Girl Can't Help It, with its satirical look at early rock and roll, Tashlin had a streak of commercial successes with the Martin and Lewis film Hollywood or Bust in 1956, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? in 1957, and six of Jerry Lewis' early solo films (Rock-A-Bye Baby, The Geisha Boy, Cinderfella, It's Only Money, Who's Minding the Store?, and The Disorderly Orderly). Many of these have attained cult status.

I watched the Good Humor Man movie with Jack Carter and George Reeves this morning..

3176582273_c71bcf8fb7.jpg

goodhumorman.jpg

Did you enjoy it?

I'm a fan of Frank Tashlin who wrote the screenplay, but I'm sorry to say that I'm only familiar with the work he did in the animation field (where his credits are many) and not his feature film work.

From imdb.com:

One critic noted that he directed his cartoons like live-action films and his live-action films like cartoons.

From Wikipedia:

AnimatorTashlin drifted from job to job after dropping out of high school in New Jersey at age 13. In 1930, he started working for Paul Terry as a cartoonist on the Aesop's Film Fables cartoon series, then worked briefly for Amadee J. Van Beuren, but he was just as much a drifter in his animation career as he had been as a teenager. Tashlin joined Leon Schlesinger's cartoon studio at Warner Bros. as an animator in 1932, where he was noted as a fast animator. He used his free time to start his own comic strip in 1934 called Van Boring, inspired by former boss Van Beuren, which ran for three years. Tashlin was fired from the studio when he refused to give Schlesinger a cut of his comic strip revenues. He joined the Ub Iwerks studio in 1934. He moved to Hal Roach's studio in 1935 as a writer. He returned to Schlesinger in 1936 as an animation director where his diverse interest and knowledge of the industry brought a new understanding of camerawork to the Warners directors.

In 1938, he worked for Disney in the story department. Afterward, he served as production manager at Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems animation studio in 1941. Tashlin rejoined the Warner directors of "Termite Terrace" in 1943. He stayed with the studio during World War II and worked on numerous wartime shorts, including the Private Snafu educational films.

Film directorTashlin moved on from animation in 1946 to become a gag writer for the Marx Brothers, Lucille Ball, and others, and as a screenwriter for stars such as Bob Hope and Red Skelton. His live-action films still echo elements of his animation background; Tashlin peppers them with unlikely sight gags, breakneck pacing, and unexpected plot twists.

Tashlin began his career directing feature films when he was asked to finish directing the 1951 film The Lemon Drop Kid starring Bob Hope.

Beginning with the 1956 film The Girl Can't Help It, with its satirical look at early rock and roll, Tashlin had a streak of commercial successes with the Martin and Lewis film Hollywood or Bust in 1956, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? in 1957, and six of Jerry Lewis' early solo films (Rock-A-Bye Baby, The Geisha Boy, Cinderfella, It's Only Money, Who's Minding the Store?, and The Disorderly Orderly). Many of these have attained cult status.

Oops, that's Jack Carson not Carter and I didn't know that Tashlin directed all of those films. I liked the film because it mentioned Capt. Marvel but I thought the action scenes reminded me of The Three Stooges. I enjoyed the Jerry Lewis solo films when I saw them back in the fifties and sixties and the Lemon Drop kid with Bob Hope. I think I remember a Playboy article about the "Rock Hunter" movie but not sure why it was there. Thanks for all of that info BZ.

bb

It still doesn't explain why they were showing those two comic book related movies yesterday. It wasn't Frank's birthday, nor Carson's or Lola Albright's, who co-starred in Good Humor man and Lord Love a Duck. Oh, it is the 52nd anniversary of George Reeves death on June 16th but that seems a distant possibility.

I love comic books, but there is little in the canon that might be considered deeply, genuinely profound. George Herriman's Krazy Kat, on the other hand, has has had philosophical treatises written about it - and Herriman's use of language has even been compared to Shakespeare. Krazy Kat and Ignatz Mouse/ Romeo and Juliet. Krazy Kat's inexhaustible optimism could for that matter be compared to Voltaire's Candide - "Everything will be for the best in the best of all possible worlds. A step too far, methinks; but what I have always found fascinating is the bare, almost spartan, but keenly expressive style and the rendition of surrealistic landscapes which, if you watch carefully, charge from frame to frame.

Here are a few examples, by way of a change of pace.

00133krazykat03.jpg