• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'll look forward to the scans, BZ. I hope you don't mind that I cross-posted your Jimmy Thompson panels into the new Jimmy Thompson appreciation thread.

Nice badge, BBgun. (thumbs u

lol

BZ,

Very funny. I think this is what my Industrial Microbiology class felt like while attempting to finish a 300 page text. Even Power Point presentations to review every chapter couldn't save them.

Glad you guys liked it.

The video was produced by Tom Gammill for the National Cartoonists Society Reubens Awards ceremony this year.

Here are several videos he created for last year's gathering.

Wow- haven’t been this excited about a book in a while. These WEIRD TALES were collected in 1680 by P'u Sung-ling and probably most were already antiques. The original Chinese publication by his grandson in 1740 included 300 tales. This translation by George Soulie (French, I reckon, and stationed in China with the diplomatic corps- he also writes an excellent introduction) features 25 stories in 166 pages. Some are vignettes, but even the one four-pager I’ve read so far (plus read the first two, around 9 pages each) was well-turned and vividly visual. All are full of ghosts and magic, etc. Publisher is Constable & Co, date is 1913… 'delicate plum binding’- very nice… scan is my copy…

Here’s a little more- from Lloyd Currey’s site- the best place to discover great antediluvian fantasy!

Includes "The Corpse of the Blood Drinker," a horrific tale of vampirism, "The Ghost in Love," "The Laughing Ghost" and other supernatural tales. "Each is a small gem of economy and style; the collection as a whole set the standard for Oriental fantastic literature." - Sullivan (ed), The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural, p. 340.

http://www.lwcurrey.com/home.php

copy I ended up with from John Randall, Books of Asia, in England- $88 delivered.

img738.jpg

:bump:

I figured I'd post this here.

Anyone know of a good source that would let me know what strips were reprinted (and in which issue) in the various strip reprint books? :wishluck: I don't need to know which sequence, just which strip.

For that matter, help me fill in the missing series in the list below. I am quickly dashing this off and am going to forget many. I am only considering the anthologies at this point (so no character specific titles will be listed below such as Tracy Monthly, Smilin' Jack, Joe Palooka, ...)

Ace Comics

Big Shot Comics (some content is reprint?)

The Comics

Crackajack Funnies

Famous Funnies

The Funnies

King Comics

Magic Comics

Popular Comics

Red Ryder Comics

Sparkle Comics

Sparkler

Super Comics

Tip Top Comics

Tip Topper

Seeing Scrooge's collection of Fairy Tale Parade in a recent post made me think of similarities in feel with Rupert the Bear, and I wonder how many boardies might not be familiar with him?

rupertthebear17a.jpg

Rupert was the creation of an illustrator called Mary Tourtel in 1925. His strips were published in the Daily Express to steal readers away from rival newspapers such as the Daily Mail.

In 1935 Mary retired owing to failing eyesight, and the strip was taken over by Alfred Bestall, who worked on the strip for 40 years.

Every christmas since 1936 a new annual has been published. The first annuals used only two colours but during the war years they began to be published in glowing colour.

Here is the cover to the 1940 annual:

rupertthebear.jpg

The publisher, Lord Beaverbrook, decided to continue publishing the annual throughout the war (and in full colour!) as a means of boosting morale - and it worked!

From 1941 the cover image often extended round to the back cover:

rupertthebear1.jpg

They often displayed a wonderful, free flowing imagination. Here is the cover to 1945:

B0013206a.jpg

1959:

RupertAnnual1958.jpg

1960:

RupertAnnual1960.jpg

Next I'll post a few sample pages from the interiors - hopefully Scrooge will complement these with some Fairy Tale Parade interiors as well!

rupertthebear24.jpg

Despite his longevity Rupert has never moved beyond the world of the 1930's. The strips retain precisely the same look and feel, even when fantastical elements are introduced - planes and cars have a charmingly anachronistic feel to them which sits quite well in tales full of dragons and fairies!

Here are some random pages from the 1940 and 1941 annuals.

rupertthebear20.jpg

rupertthebear23.jpg

rupertthebear18.jpg

Seeing Scrooge's collection of Fairy Tale Parade in a recent post made me think of similarities in feel with Rupert the Bear, and I wonder how many boardies might not be familiar with him?

RupertAnnual1960.jpg

Great illustrations. :applause:

I'm not familiar with the character but, interestingly, my wife asked me about him the other day because he was mentioned in a book she was reading.

Has Rupert's adventures ever been collected in comic book format?

A little change of pace...

I had dropped a few things off my favorite framer in the whole wide world (Tim at The Fantasy Gallery) before San Diego. Picked them up today...

captainamerica.jpg

dicktracy.jpg

godzilla.jpg