• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here are a few programs from some of the early NY comic conventions.

nycon666768.jpg

1966 1967 1968

nycon697071.jpg

1969 1970 1971

1971 Comic Art Con flyer that was included with fanzine order:

1971CAC-800.jpg

1971CAC2.jpg

Getting back to the narrative, after the panels at the library everyone headed over to the high school auditorium for a presentation by Paradox on the Conan movie. I have some pics of this but I can't post them until Wednesday. Fred Malmberg the CEO of Paradox was there and he brought a bunch of props and still shots from the movie as well as debuting the new R-rated trailer that will be released publicly later this week. It looks pretty damn good!

It sounds great.

I'm looking forward to seeing the trailer.

Released today:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/17/exclusive-conan-red-band-trailer-debut?show=HD

The art is wonderful but it's definitely an interesting assemblage of elements for the scene.

img692.jpg

I love comic books, but there is little in the canon that might be considered deeply, genuinely profound. George Herriman's Krazy Kat, on the other hand, has has had philosophical treatises written about it - and Herriman's use of language has even been compared to Shakespeare. Krazy Kat and Ignatz Mouse/ Romeo and Juliet. Krazy Kat's inexhaustible optimism could for that matter be compared to Voltaire's Candide - "Everything will be for the best in the best of all possible worlds. A step too far, methinks; but what I have always found fascinating is the bare, almost spartan, but keenly expressive style and the rendition of surrealistic landscapes which, if you watch carefully, charge from frame to frame.

00133krazykat03.jpg

Krazy Kat was never as popular during its run as the more mainstream humor strips but it certainly struck a chord with the literati.

From Wikipedia: Link

Due to the objections of editors, who didn't think it was suitable for the comics sections, Krazy Kat originally appeared in the Hearst papers' art and drama sections. Hearst himself, however, enjoyed the strip so much that he gave Herriman a lifetime contract and guaranteed the cartoonist complete creative freedom.

Despite its low popularity among the general public, Krazy Kat gained a wide following among intellectuals. In 1922, a jazz ballet based on the comic was produced and scored by John Alden Carpenter; though the performance played to sold-out crowds on two nights and was given positive reviews in The New York Times and The New Republic, it failed to boost the strip's popularity as Hearst had hoped. In addition to Seldes and cummings, contemporary admirers of Krazy Kat included Willem de Kooning, H. L. Mencken, and Jack Kerouac. More recent scholars and authors have seen the strip as reflecting the Dada movement and prefiguring postmodernism.

krazykat1.jpg

krazykat2.jpg

krazykat3.jpg

krazykat4.jpg

krazykat5.jpg

krazykat6.jpg

Another one to look forward to is the long awaited facsimile reprint of William Timlin's The Ship that Sailed to Mars this September

The Ship that Sailed to Mars

William Timlin

4232720394_147bc2311f_b.jpg

Thanks for the links.

You consistently have helpful tips about artists which I'm unfamiliar but am interested in learning more about.

The Ship that Sailed to Mars - very cool. Link said that the original was an exquisitely-produced 2000 copy run by George Harrap in 1923. Harrap was among the best of the upscale publishers- I have 2 of theirs that are right up there. Scan can't really capture either. Tales Of Hoffman with art by Mario Laboccetta and Dante's La Vita Nuova with art by Evelyn Paul.

img293c.JPG

img531.jpg

Thanks for the scans, Pat.

I especially like the Laboccetta illustration.

img691.jpg

img692.jpg

I always enjoyed Wood's artwork. It's unfortunate that his life ended so sadly.

From Wikipedia:

For much of his adult life, Wood suffered from chronic, unexplainable headaches. In the 1970s, following bouts with alcoholism, Wood suffered from kidney failure. A stroke in 1978 caused a loss of vision in one eye. Faced with declining health and career prospects, he committed suicide by gunshot in Los Angeles, California three years later.

It looks more like the movie might be good Netflix viewing. I'm not certain about paying full price for a night out at the movies.

What's the buzz among REH fans?

Disappointment at a missed opportunity mostly. Instead of adapting one of REH's stories and treating the material with respect like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, instead we're getting a fun but forgettable popcorn flick along the lines of the new Clash of the Titans or Prince of Persia only with more boobs and blood. There is hope though that Jason Mamoa's portrayl of Conan himself will be more in line with Howard's vision than Arnold's was.

It looks more like the movie might be good Netflix viewing. I'm not certain about paying full price for a night out at the movies.

Disappointment at a missed opportunity mostly. Instead of adapting one of REH's stories and treating the material with respect like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, instead we're getting a fun but forgettable popcorn flick along the lines of the new Clash of the Titans or Prince of Persia only with more boobs and blood. There is hope though that Jason Mamoa's portrayl of Conan himself will be more in line with Howard's vision than Arnold's was.

He was surprisingly good in Game of Thrones I thought.

Edited by alanna

He was surprisingly good in Game of Thrones I thought.

Me too. Still have to watch the final episode, though.

Thanks for posting additional scans.

I have a much better appreciation of Blaine's work now that I have seen more of his early work. Next time I'm in a used book store I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for volumes he illustrated.

Kind of a shameless plug, but in December of 2009, I published a 454 page book entitled The Outlandish Art of Mahlon Blaine

Final_MBcover.gif

Thanks for posting additional scans.

I have a much better appreciation of Blaine's work now that I have seen more of his early work. Next time I'm in a used book store I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for volumes he illustrated.

Kind of a shameless plug, but in December of 2009, I published a 454 page book entitled The Outlandish Art of Mahlon Blaine

Final_MBcover.gif

Looks very cool. And welcome to the boards! :applause:

Jeff

This 1933 rarity just came today. One of series of horror/supernatural anthologies published in the UK by Selwyn & Blount. They contain some stories reprinted from Weird Tales so there are a few familiar names like Hugh Cave, Henry Whitehead, Clark Ashton Smith, and guess who...

KeepOnTheLight01.jpg

KeepOnTheLight02.jpg

KeepOnTheLight03.jpg

very cool - only one I have is nekkid - Has HPL 'The Horror at Red Hook', Seabury Quinn "The House of Horror' with Jules de G, and 'Laocoon' by the mysterious Bassett Morgan (real moniker Grace Jones- pseudo inspired by her dog!). they do credit WT for some of the stories...

img700.jpg

very cool - only one I have is nekkid - Has HPL 'The Horror at Red Hook', Seabury Quinn "The House of Horror' with Jules de G, and 'Laocoon' by the mysterious Bassett Morgan (real moniker Grace Jones- pseudo inspired by her dog!). they do credit WT for some of the stories...

img700.jpg

Very cool! :applause:

The same seller had no. 10 Keep on the Light which has "Rogues in the House" and so is the first time Conan appeared in book form. Unfortunately I was the underbidder. I didn't MANNUP and now I regret it. :sorry: