• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Picked up this wild, totally badass poster in San Diego. '60s Mexican wrestlers, aliens, and a vigilante mob with torches. FANTASTICO!

superzan.jpg

Are they 1-sheets?

Yep. All originals. I've had the Tracy for about twenty years. Bought the Cap from Ed Jaster in 2001. Both of those needed reframing. I got the Godzilla in a recent Heritage auction for what I thought was a very good price. I've always wanted one but, while not rare, they always seemed to sell for a little more than I wanted to pay.

I wonder if Netflix has any Superzan movies? hm

That would be great! If it's a tenth as good as the poster it would be a cheesy masterpiece.

Anyone know of a good source that would let me know what strips were reprinted (and in which issue) in the various strip reprint books? :wishluck: I don't need to know which sequence, just which strip.

For that matter, help me fill in the missing series in the list below. I am quickly dashing this off and am going to forget many. I am only considering the anthologies at this point (so no character specific titles will be listed below such as Tracy Monthly, Smilin' Jack, Joe Palooka, ...)

Ace Comics

Big Shot Comics (some content is reprint?)

The Comics

Crackajack Funnies

Famous Funnies

The Funnies

King Comics

Magic Comics

Popular Comics

Red Ryder Comics

Sparkle Comics

Sparkler

Super Comics

Tip Top Comics

Tip Topper

That's a good question. I suspect that checklists have been compiled for the more popular strips among fans (Tarzan, Flash Gordon, etc), but I wouldn't be surprised if no one has ever bothered doing the same for the lesser known strips.

That would be a good project for us. We could give it a shot here if enough collectors were interested in giving it a try.

Wow- haven’t been this excited about a book in a while. These WEIRD TALES were collected in 1680 by P'u Sung-ling and probably most were already antiques. The original Chinese publication by his grandson in 1740 included 300 tales. This translation by George Soulie (French, I reckon, and stationed in China with the diplomatic corps- he also writes an excellent introduction) features 25 stories in 166 pages. Some are vignettes, but even the one four-pager I’ve read so far (plus read the first two, around 9 pages each) was well-turned and vividly visual. All are full of ghosts and magic, etc. Publisher is Constable & Co, date is 1913… 'delicate plum binding’- very nice… scan is my copy…

Here’s a little more- from Lloyd Currey’s site- the best place to discover great antediluvian fantasy!

Includes "The Corpse of the Blood Drinker," a horrific tale of vampirism, "The Ghost in Love," "The Laughing Ghost" and other supernatural tales. "Each is a small gem of economy and style; the collection as a whole set the standard for Oriental fantastic literature." - Sullivan (ed), The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural, p. 340.

http://www.lwcurrey.com/home.php

copy I ended up with from John Randall, Books of Asia, in England- $88 delivered.

img738.jpg

Congratulations on the addition to your collection. You got quite a bargain. :applause:

Does the book have any illustrations?

Fantastico indeed!!

Here are some pages from Fairy Tale Parade # 2.

Jack, the Giant Killer

FT2-JackGiantKiller.jpg

Cinderella

FT2-Cinderella.jpg

The Emperor's New Clothes

FT2-EmperorClothes.jpg

Sinbad the Sailor

FT2-Sinbad.jpg

The Sinbad story by Jon Small is in fact my favorite in this issue, though the Kelly touch on the step-sisters in Cinderella is also priceless.

Not pictured: Snow White and Rose Red, Puss in Boots and Tom Thumb

I've watched a number of Godzilla flicks with my nephew (his parents had not taken action with regards to educating him about Japanese wildlife (tsk) ). On this last trip he asked about the first Godzilla movie, reminding me that he still hadn't seen it. I've committed to fixing that on my next visit.

:cloud9:

godzilla.jpg

I've watched a number of Godzilla flicks with my nephew (his parents had not taken action with regards to educating him about Japanese wildlife (tsk) ). On this last trip he asked about the first Godzilla movie, reminding me that he still hadn't seen it. I've committed to fixing that on my next visit.

Every kid should see Godzilla. We had some really cool plush Godzilla house shoes in the stores a couple of years ago. The kids loved 'em. We must have sold 100 pair.

Every kid should see Godzilla.

My brother's boys are just as interested but my nieces want nothing to do with it.

No illos in the Chinese ‘Strange Stories’ per se, but the word images inside have freshness, clarity, color, and great variety- all delivered at a very fast pace. Here for fun is a plate from the Green Tiger ‘Monkey’ (from the 16th century novel!): 1979 with art by Eleanor Hazard.

img511.jpg

Anyone know of a good source that would let me know what strips were reprinted (and in which issue) in the various strip reprint books? :wishluck: I don't need to know which sequence, just which strip.

For that matter, help me fill in the missing series in the list below. I am quickly dashing this off and am going to forget many. I am only considering the anthologies at this point (so no character specific titles will be listed below such as Tracy Monthly, Smilin' Jack, Joe Palooka, ...)

Ace Comics

Big Shot Comics (some content is reprint?)

The Comics

Crackajack Funnies

Famous Funnies

The Funnies

King Comics

Magic Comics

Popular Comics

Red Ryder Comics

Sparkle Comics

Sparkler

Super Comics

Tip Top Comics

Tip Topper

The early WDC&S reprinted lots of material.