• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

HBD, Murphy!

From Lars of Mars 10

Lars10page.jpg

I believe it was in Planet. He was a sci-fi fan through and through before starting his career in comics.

Back in December, when we were discussing the work of Jimmy Thompson, I began going through my King and Magic comics to look at Thompson's work on the Indian Lore and Red Men comic strips that were published in those titles.

There are lots of great comics in those comics but one that especially caught my eye was Aladdin Jr., a fantasy strip which was written by Les Forgrave and illustrated by William Meade Prince.

I'd never heard of Prince so I googled him and learned that he had been one of Murphy Anderson's favorite artists when he was growing up. In fact, Anderson had attended the University of North Carolina in 1943 with the hope of studying with Prince who was the head of the art department at that time.

Here are some of the strips from either King or Magic (I don't remember which).

aladdin2.jpg

aladdin3.jpg

aladdin4.jpg

I enjoyed the Aladdin strip so much that I actually sought out the full Sunday strips later and purchased a bunch of them.

Very nice strips by Prince (thumbs u

Do you have any suggestions of specific issues with good Redman strips by Thompson?

Thanks for pointing out that Thompson also drew Gangbusters for Feature Books. Do you have the earlier Feature Books and know whether any other others contain original material or if they are just syndicated strip reprints?

I believe it was in Planet. He was a sci-fi fan through and through before starting his career in comics.

I asked him about his first published work when I saw Murphy at the Baltimore Con and he mentioned that it was an ad for a dairy. I didn't follow up on that one.

Edited by BB-Gun

I asked him about his first published work when I saw Murphy at the Baltimore Con and he mentioned that it was an ad for a dairy. I didn't follow up on that one.

I assumed the question was regarding his published comic book work.

Checking out GCD it looks like he started earlier than I thought, drawing a story for Lightning Comics v2#6 Apr '42. Planet was his first regular gig but started 2 years later.

Do you have any suggestions of specific issues with good Redman strips by Thompson?

My favorites were the strips published in the earlier issues of its King Comics run.

Here are a few examples.

king14.jpg

King Comics #14 (May 1937)

king15.jpg

King Comics #15 (June 1937)

king16.jpg

King Comics #16 (July 1937)

Thanks for pointing out that Thompson also drew Gangbusters for Feature Books. Do you have the earlier Feature Books and know whether any other others contain original material or if they are just syndicated strip reprints?

All of the Feature Books I've seen are reprints of syndicated comic strips with the exception of #'s 17 and 18.

Here is the title page to #17.

jimmythompson.jpg

Happy Birthday Big Joe (1914-1992)- and thanks- we owe it ALL to you !!!

img728.jpg

I'm a big fan of Shuster's work on Slam Bradley and Doctor Occult.

Have those stories ever been reprinted into book form?

In a 1940 science fiction fanzine Julius Schwartz shared with readers some of his private correspondence with various authors.

You can see from Siegel's letter that Jerry wasn't always the biggest fan of Shuster's artwork.

juliusschwartz.jpg

In a 1940 science fiction fanzine Julius Schwartz shared with readers some of his private correspondence with various authors.

You can see from Siegel's letter that Jerry wasn't always the biggest fan of Shuster's artwork.

juliusschwartz.jpg

There was a revelation in the last couple years that Siegel approached Russell Keaton about drawing Superman and some original art/copies of the samples had been found. Basically, Siegel was never that happy with Shuster though I think he did just fine on Slam, Dr Occult and Supes, even if he didn't have the stamina/artistic chops to hold up in the long run.

Now, THAT's a letters page: Jerry Siegel, Ackerman, Lovecraft, and E.E. Smith.

juliusschwartz.jpg

Thanks for info on Gangbusters. (thumbs u

Happy Birthday Big Joe (1914-1992)- and thanks- we owe it ALL to you !!!

I'm a big fan of Shuster's work on Slam Bradley and Doctor Occult.

Have those stories ever been reprinted into book form?

I'm not aware of anything but occasional pages/panels being reprinted.

If can safely take any other interior pictures it would be greatly appreciated! (worship)

jimmythompson.jpg

If can safely take any other interior pictures it would be greatly appreciated! (worship)

I took a bunch of photos of Thompson's illustrations for that comic late last year. I'll check my DVD's to see if I saved any of them or if they ended up being deleted.

If I can't find them, I'll take some more pics at the first opportunity I get.