• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

sheldonmayer.jpg

Scribbly by Sheldon Mayer

scribbly.jpg

At least in my experience, Scribbly is a tough run to put together. I rarely see them for sale. Not sure I've seen a #1 at a show in decades.

2203261533_272735e1a2_z.jpg

I'd like to find the Buck Rogers and Superman guns for sale cheap at a flea market someday. :wishluck:

I have seen the Buck Rogers gun for sale at a reasonable price but never the Krypto-Raygun. The only time I have seen the Superman item was on ebay and it sold for big bucks.

5466774022_78b24c38b4_z.jpg

I don't see Scribbly in any sets on the registry or on the census. I still have a #1...#2...#4...#6...

& #8.

mm

Get 'em scanned and post 'em here so we can all enjoy them :)

Given how tough Scribbly is to find and so is Sugar & Spike, I am generally left wondering if National published those for services rendered by Mayer, meaning that their circulation numbers weren't high but DC kept them on the stands regardless (though Scribbly's run is rather short).

Anyone there, do you remember seeing Sugar & Spike on the stands? Was it in your mind geared towards younger readers so the survival rate is that much lower because of it?

What about Rex, the Wonder Dog? Why are they so hard to come by in grade?

One of the articles I have read about Mayer said that when he stepped down as editor he negotiated a contract for $10,000 per year for writing/drawing comics. I suspect that several factors were at play with regards to DC continuing to publish his work: his contract, respect for his work and a desire to publish comics for little kids.

Anyone there, do you remember seeing Sugar & Spike on the stands? Was it in your mind geared towards younger readers so the survival rate is that much lower because of it?

I don't remember seeing that title until I was about 10 years old. I bought a couple of issues but mostly I just read them at the newsstand. I enjoyed the humor but saved my dimes for the purchase of superhero titles.

What about Rex, the Wonder Dog? Why are they so hard to come by in grade?

The best surviving copies were usually saved by adults and books geared toward young readers were much less likely to be saved by adults unless the adults were buying everything (Church, Stanley Pachon (Bethlehems, etc) or unless the publisher saved them (e.g. Dell/GK). Even when I was growing up you would see the quality of copies saved improve dramatically with the age of the child.

I remember how hard it was to find a copy of SCRIBBLY on the newsstand after

the first two issues...coming out every two months, with only a few copies in the

pile. I guess I gave-up after issue #8.

mm