• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

1682404426_1460d55ab4.jpg

Did ERB use Argosy to print his early stories first or did Argosy take the novels and break them into serial form?

Pirates of Venus was serialized in 1932 and published as a book in 1934.

The latest news is that Angelic Pictures has acquired the license to produce Pirates of Venus from ERB, Inc., the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Last month they announced the completion of a Pirates of Venus treatment and screenplay adaptation.

Pirates of Venus Movie

venus_postersm.jpg

That is very cool! :applause: Hopefully, it won't have the same problems as the John Carter movie. :wishluck:

Jeff

More of these cover-swipe sources, please! An artist friend has made "trading cards" of some of them. I'll check whether he'd mind me posting some of them.

Jack

Also, I'd love to see more swipe sources too! Cool stuff!

Jeff

I'd like to see more, too. :popcorn:

Speaking of ERB's Venus series, I just got this in the mail the other day:

Very nice. :applause:

I haven't read any Burroughs stories since I was a kid. I loved them back then.

Has anyone here read them as an adult?

I wonder if they retain their quality when reread?

Continuing my series of covers apropos to the spirit of Halloween...

Ghost Stories is a pulp that ran for 64 issues from 1926-1932.

For the first two years of its life the title was published bedsheet sized.

Here are the first two and last two issues.

Speaking of ERB's Venus series, I just got this in the mail the other day:

Very nice. :applause:

I haven't read any Burroughs stories since I was a kid. I loved them back then.

Has anyone here read them as adults?

I wonder if they retain their quality when reread?

I'm actually re-reading At the Earth's Core right now in anticipation of my Hi-Spot #2 getting here (Heritage is dropping ball with some seriously slow delivery :sumo:). It's pretty fun, but admittedly a bit pedantic - it was definately better when I was 10 or 11. I reread the first few Tarzan and Mars books several years ago on a whim. What shocked me the most was some of the racial language and social Darwinist ideas, things that of course didn't register with me when I was a kid.

Jeff

Tar-zan is all about the racial supremacy of the white man. Burroughs definition of "Tar zan" was white skin. And as you know, at its heart, the story says if you drop a white man in the heart of Africa as an orphaned infant, and even raise him by apes, he will RISe to a position of leadership of his clan, and, become a Lord of the entire jungle, including the native humans.

A thrilling story, but it would be pretty controversial if released today. Or just shunned as stupid social science.

Tar-zan is all about the racial supremacy of the white man. Burroughs definition of "Tar zan" was white skin. And as you know, at its heart, the story says if you drop a white man in the heart of Africa as an orphaned infant, and even raise him by apes, he will RISe to a position of leadership of his clan, and, become a Lord of the entire jungle, including the native humans.

A thrilling story, but it would be pretty controversial if released today. Or just shunned as stupid social science.

Exactly. As a kid, it was just a cool adventure story - rereading them as an adult, I was kind of taken aback, though I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised given the whole premise.

Jeff

ghoststories1926_07.jpg

:o(worship)

Wonders never cease in the BZ universe! I know that bedsheet tend to have survived better than their other brethren because they were trimmed while regular pulps were not, but still ... just amazing copies. I have to believe that few people have held pulps in their hands to see how fragile they are to read because of the way the cover is either glued or stapled to the book. Your copies are ridiculous when you take all this into account! :applause:

More of these cover-swipe sources, please! An artist friend has made "trading cards" of some of them. I'll check whether he'd mind me posting some of them.

If you want to see five of the "cards", they're in the GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.11 thread.

I didn't have the heart to hijack this thread.

Jack

There's also this pulp to comics variation.

Shadow pulp: Shadowed Millions - January 1933 -

770631-S21-ShadowedMillions.jpg

Spy Smasher # 1 - 1940 - (even though, it might simply be a swipe from The Shadow Comics which used the January 1933 cover on its May 1940 issue) -

46669-SpySmasher1.jpg.1395e23ae303bbde193747005dbd19ec.jpg

Cool stuff, Scrooge.

Thanks for posting. :applause:

I'm especially impressed that you caught the John Severin - Charles Russell swipe.

Very impressive.

Let's not get overly excited here. It's Severin himself that pointed it out to everyone. It's recorded in Squa Tront # 11. Think of me as the archivist / librarian of the group ...