• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Well since the comic came out in late 1938 and the movie in Sept. 1936 I don't think it was much of a marketing ploy. In all honesty I think it was more of a swipe of the 1919 NC Wyeth illustration. Note the knife in that image being replaced by the tomahawk.

Seeing Guardineer's cover for Action 8, made me think "Last of the Mohicans."

You have good instincts.

action_8.jpg

Last-of-the-Mohicans.jpg

The 1936 movie poster.

wyeth_last_mohicans1919.jpg

1919 NC Wyeth illustration

Thanks for posting the swipe file source material BZ. I mentioned last year in a contentious thread that most GA artists swiped, as many of them told me they did. Alas, a picture is worth a thousand words. :cloud9:

Here's another Guardineer Action cover.

action18ga.jpg

i love love LOVE this Guardineer cover. Very much reminds me of the Bauhaus style, with clean lines and bold blocks of colour. kind of has a Wolverton feel to the line weights as well, but this - and all the observations supra - could easily be off

was there ever an airplane that actually was built lik ethat? Looks more like atrain with wings. I wonder it it could ever get off the ground.

and the blue emblem is cool, like an ancestor to the Fox logo, but, spotlights arent any one artists creation, just similar shapes.

The Wyeth swipe is remakable in that Hollywood had already swiped it. I wonder if there was any compensation or consideration to Wyeth by the studio. I dont really know how famous NC was at that point, being "just" an illustrator. Maybe Wyeth actually signed off on the movie poster. And of course, it might be that Wyeth himself (being just an commercial illustrator himself) swiped the pose from somewhere too! Maybe an etching from the 1800s he found for reference.

fascinating stuff.

Was there ever an airplane that actually was built like that? Looks more like a train with wings. I wonder it it could ever get off the ground.

action18ga.jpg

That front gunner is certainly an unusual feature. It's a design that Guardineer had used previously in his Dan Hastings strip.

danhastings2.jpg

danhastings3.jpg

Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 # 4 (April 1939)

Was there ever an airplane that actually was built like that? Looks more like a train with wings. I wonder it it could ever get off the ground.

action18ga.jpg

That front gunner is certainly an unusual feature. It's a design that Guardineer had used previously in his Dan Hastings strip.

danhastings2.jpg

danhastings3.jpg

Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 # 4 (April 1939)

Great sign off in that last frame. Lieut Com Fred Guardineer :takeit:

Well since the comic came out in late 1938 and the movie in Sept. 1936 I don't think it was much of a marketing ploy.

The speculation about market timing was regarding issue # 16 not # 8.

It could be that the editor/decision-maker didn't like men in tights and was waiting for the "fad" to end. When it was blindingly obvious that it wouldn't, then the direction on covers was changed.

Or perhaps they had covers already created and needed to use them up before comissioning new ones featuring Superman.

The interviews that I've read with some of those early pioneers don't mention anything about this topic. Might be a good question for Creig Flessel.

wyeth_last_mohicans1919.jpg

1919 NC Wyeth illustration

Thanks Bangzoom!

I don't recall ever seeing the movie poster, and it's been at least a decade since I've looked at Wyeth's work, so I never made the connection.

NC Wyeth? That guy's work is just unbelievable.

To echo other's sentiments here, this stuff is absolutely fascinating.