• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Strange Worlds # 6. I noticed that Kinstler used a lot of swipes in those pages. Must have been a busy month and he didn't want to think too much ... -

He swiped often, didn't he? I think I remember a scavenger hunt or two for his sources here on the boards.

Did you ID the sources for this page? First panel is a Planet Comics cover?

Jack

49244-StrangeWorlds6Story1Pages.jpg

He swiped often, didn't he? I think I remember a scavenger hunt or two for his sources here on the boards.

Did you ID the sources for this page? First panel is a Planet Comics cover?

First panel is Planet cover or more likely Astounding (?) pulp cover IIRC. There was another page that was more or less straight from a Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday and in the inside front cover story summary, there was a clear Foster panel swipe.

49265-CrusaderfromMars1s.jpg

Nice group of comics you have there, Scrooge. :applause:

I like the fact that you posted an interior page of each. I wish more people did that.

My favorites were Willie the Penguin, Strange Worlds, Whiz, Witches Tales, Fantastic, Worlds of Fear, HoM, and Crusader from Mars.

Is the artist credited who painted the cover to Crusader from Mars? It looks like the work of Allen Anderson.

Can you show us a sample of the interior? :foryou:

Strange. He doesn't look a bit like Orlando Bloom. :kidaround:

49255-Beanbags2s.jpg

49265-CrusaderfromMars1s.jpg

Nice group of comics you have there, Scrooge. :applause:

I like the fact that you posted an interior page of each. I wish more people did that.

My favorites were Willie the Penguin, Strange Worlds, Whiz, Witches Tales, Fantastic, Worlds of Fear, HoM, and Crusader from Mars.

Is the artist credited who painted the cover to Crusader from Mars? It looks like the work of Allen Anderson.

Can you show us a sample of the interior? :foryou:

Thanks for the scans, Scrooge!

My thought on the Crusader for Mars is that it's by Saunders. It's a bit tricky because Allan and Saunders shared the same studio, used the same models, worked for Ziff-Davis and Anderson imitated Saunders' style.

Edited by adamstrange

FYI - Robert Weiner on CAF has put up some PHENOMENAL GA Original art in his gallery, including a few Basil Wolverton unpublished covers...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=5054

The Meteor Martin piece almost made me pass out. OMG!!!! One of the greatest things I have ever seen. Wish the detail was more clear.

FYI - Robert Weiner on CAF has put up some PHENOMENAL GA Original art in his gallery, including a few Basil Wolverton unpublished covers...

The Meteor Martin piece almost made me pass out. OMG!!!! One of the greatest things I have ever seen. Wish the detail was more clear.

Great link!!! Just superb work by Wolverton -- I had no idea that any cover type early work existed.

Put on your oddball caps for this next one. From Funland Comics # 1 (1946) comes this quirky one with a special appearance from another Batman knock-offs. I present to you: "Yippee!! I'm Squeaky!" "And I'm Woody!" Any dialogue with a character named Woody is fraught with unintended laughter ... -

49326-F1-WS1.jpg.f727a8b3051cbb82051b75eab9f601c1.jpg

49327-F1-WS2.jpg.16f7c649eadf0ab1fbe216cd897f976e.jpg

49328-F1-WS3.jpg.2e822f677d73ebcfafc9733acdd8af29.jpg

49329-F1-WS4.jpg.8d4ed7b72242c87b7ff0beeb7c63596f.jpg

49330-F1-WS5.jpg.2d4a2455d9c4c36816582353a5a3da6f.jpg

49331-F1-WS6.jpg.56a35cb12bdd716d24072aaf1219f2bf.jpg

49332-F1-WS7.jpg.47eaf75fbe77116654287f4e2aece8a3.jpg

Famous Funnies # 198 with a drug message by Frazetta but also a nice Steve Roper by Woggon, no, not that one but his brother -

Can't figure out how to attach the damn pages I'm quoting! :frustrated:

Anyhow, great splash pages - thanks!

Oh ... and I might have discovered tonight why Pluto was demoted as a planet. Once you've met its ruler, a lot is explained ... -

HHAAWW!!!

Morono, King of the Plutonian insufficiently_thoughtful_persons!

They really don't write 'em like that no more.

Thanks,

Jack

(...BRAAAAINSS...)

49323-Rocketman1-Pluto1.jpg

He also has ten Timely cover, splash page and house ad sketches dating from 1941.

Check them out, I've never seen any others like these.

1941 Timely Roughs