• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Someone posted some Frank Miller art a while back and I thought he deserved another peak.

2239225717_48e61b166a_b.jpg

The cover was beat up and the splash is not that exciting but the last page showed Franks talents.

2239224753_6c990d72bf_b.jpg

2239225315_02b5e8aa9b_b.jpg

And a few more odd ball items from the box where I keep the big pulps.

2240015114_db105cc554_b.jpg

2239226697_9547de77bd_b.jpg

Someone posted some Frank Miller art a while back and I thought he deserved another peak.

2239225717_48e61b166a_b.jpg

The cover was beat up and the splash is not that exciting but the last page showed Franks talents.

2239225315_02b5e8aa9b_b.jpg

Junior Birdmen of America!

That's a bit of popular culture that was before my time but still referenced when I was a kid. Here's the whole Wikipedia entry:

The Junior Birdmen of America was an organization for boys interested in building model airplanes, founded (ca. 1934) and promoted by the Hearst newspapers, with the cooperation of the U.S. Bureau of Air Commerce.[1] It is now best remembered for the song "Up in the Air, Junior Birdmen", which has been sung with a variety of lyrics to mock would-be or inexperienced aviators.[2] [3]

I do remember that the song was usually sung w/ thumb and forefinger around each eye like goggles, fingers up like a Mardi Gras mask.

Great Miller page -- I'm really starting to like Barney Baxter. I'll have to watch for some less expensive issues or later reprints if they exist.

Scissor-Billed Snivvies! I'll also have to watch for an occasion to use that epithet! Gopher Gus is sort of a cross between Tintin's Captain Haddock and a JoeCollector prototype, isn't he?

Jack

And sometimes it is good to show the back covers too.

bb

2239555695_68fd233faa_o.jpg

I'm catching up on the thread. First, let me thank you for the Barney Baxter page scan. It seems like a fun strip. (thumbs u

And the image above should be trotted out every time someone poopies on GA art. That image strikes me as something that Charles Vess (or to a lesser degreee Mike Kaluta) would draw today. Just wonderful work. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of Charles Vess...

I met him in 1973 at a University of Maryland Comic Convention.

As a result of that meeting, he later hitch-hiked from his home to visit me.

We ended up doing a lot of trades. I traded him a bunch of comics (Looney Tunes, if I remember correctly) for a stack of etchings he had created of fantasy scenes.

At a later date, I purchased his Marvel comic book collection which included this jewel. :eek:

vess.jpg

Speaking of Charles Vess...

I traded him a bunch of comics (Looney Tunes, if I remember correctly) for a stack of etchings he had created of fantasy scenes.

Do you still have any of those etchings? A pic would be cool.

In the meantime, here's the last page from Boy Commandos # 4 - the audience of that book was pretty clear.

52198-BC4-LastPage.jpg.218904fe5f2f1e968d250e4e0b6117c4.jpg

And the image above should be trotted out every time someone poopies on GA art. That image strikes me as something that Charles Vess (or to a lesser degreee Mike Kaluta) would draw today.

Agree.

Btw, I didn't realize Charles Vess was quite that old. I think of him as the Web of Spider-Man #1 guy. doh!

2245659579_7ac162b4f4_b.jpg

I found this nifty ad while reading through an old comic. What comic is this from? This should be easier than the popeye question from last week. I actually know the answer.

bb

The top strip appears to be Broncho Bill so I'll guess that the comic is Tip Top (or maybe Sparkler).

1801961472_de48961f99_b.jpg

BZ

Tip Top is great but that isn't where I got the scan. I like the Foster work in Tip Top and I have a lot of Sunday pages by Hogarth that look pretty good. It wasn't in Tip Top and it wasn't an ad for Tip Top. That should narrow it down.

bb