• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

2233378545_f59a1b79f6_b.jpg

2234166304_26fbdb2a9a_b.jpg

2233378073_c1a290cf07_b.jpg

2233378799_71485d1d53_b.jpg

2234165924_36329060b0_b.jpg2234165716_c91622ca17_b.jpg

2233377489_5be06cc810_b.jpg

These are a few more books from the Flea Market collection I bought from Wally. Sonny liked to write his name on the front covers until he got a name stamp. Then he became George (check the Oregon comic collection thread)

. I was going to post a World Famous Heroes cover for Jack. It has a nice story about the discovery of insulin. But instead I thought the Duckmite post was more appropriate. By the way, WDCS 41 has the Duck in Iron Pants story.

bb

Great stuff!

Which World Famous Heroes has insulin? Although I have quite a few Fact titles, I don't have any of that series.

Nice copy of the Duckmite story. I've got a reprint or two, but would like to find an original some day.

Thanks,

Jack

2233377489_5be06cc810_b.jpg

These are a few more books from the Flea Market collection I bought from Wally. Sonny liked to write his name on the front covers until he got a name stamp. Then he became George (check the Oregon comic collection thread)

. I was going to post a World Famous Heroes cover for Jack. It has a nice story about the discovery of insulin. But instead I thought the Duckmite post was more appropriate. By the way, WDCS 41 has the Duck in Iron Pants story.

bb

Thanks for the kind remarks BZ. :acclaim: I have been so envious of your collection I almost forgot about my little pile of books. Ed Lahman published an article back in Alter-Ego 5 which influenced me a great deal. I like to have something from every genre and publisher. This has expanded into pulps and big little books. The comics that I bought from Wally at the flea market seemed to be collected the same way except for a large Tracy bias.

Here are a couple more from Wally and a few I picked up at another flea market. The Famous Heroes has a chemist featured on the cover (for Jack).

2234725732_aa7325cc19_b.jpg

2233936881_0760d23596_b.jpg

2233937137_78e6668670_b.jpg

Margot Lane seems to be in a lot of trouble. The drool from the Komodo dragon is very dangerous if it gets into an open wound. His bite is definitely worse than his bark.

2233937511_78567fdd4a_b.jpg

I think this is the only Fox cover which I like a lot. Fortunately Montana got rid of the ears when he drew the character. Nice work too. And speaking of Montana.

2233959851_308ea5311e_b.jpg

An antique dealer gave me that cover for free.

Can anyone identify where this story came from?

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

Popeye and the Jeep were two superheroes that predated superman.

And Felix looked pretty good when he started in his own book.

bb

2234725848_fe983775aa_b.jpg

Here are a couple more from Wally and a few I picked up at another flea market. The Famous Heroes has a chemist featured on the cover (for Jack).

Thanks! I find these non-fiction books interesting, and fortunately the prices tend to be way below other comics the same age -- if you can find them.

Fantastic!

Wikipedia says it's the August 9, 1936, strip -- but is this page reprinted in a comic book?

Wonderful scientific gobbletygook -- the writer did some research.

Your parallel to Superman is right on. Eugene the Jeep might as well be Mxyzptlk or Bat-Mite! Has he been cited as an inspiration for Mxy?

Jack

Thanks! I find these non-fiction books interesting, and fortunately the prices tend to be way below other comics the same age -- if you can find them.

Fantastic!

Wikipedia says it's the August 9, 1936, strip -- but is this page reprinted in a comic book?

Wonderful scientific gobbletygook -- the writer did some research.

Your parallel to Superman is right on. Eugene the Jeep might as well be Mxyzptlk or Bat-Mite! Has he been cited as an inspiration for Mxy?

Jack

Not sure but I'm going to guess King Comics #86.

If I'm right do I win a No-Prize!!!!

Tonight's quiz is a going to be more of a challenge than past quizzes.

I'm going to periodically post panels and the objective is to identify the feature

and the comic's title.

If you know the issue number, that's just icing on the cake.

First up.

quiz08_10_1.jpg

The book / art looks like it's from Novelty so I am going to guess it's from Target Comics but I am not sure if it's Target and the Targeteers or the featured titled Calling 2-R ... I only have my .cbr of Target comics at work ... Should I start downloading them at home? ...

Scrooge, the clock is ticking.

What's your guess?

quiz08_10_5.jpg

:shy:

:frustrated: slow download speed and the most promising issue is over 50 Megs. I should be able to call it soon ... I now know that it's not Target but the other feature but I need indisputable visual evidence before I declare so in all fairness. :)