• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I should be able to call it soon ... I now know that it's not Target but the other feature but I need indisputable visual evidence before I declare so in all fairness.

I didn't say your previous guesses were incorrect.

I consulted with the judges and they ruled that you are only allowed one answer per post and you listed several possibilities. (shrug)

C'mon, it's on the tip of your tongue.

The feature is ...

It's Calling 2-R from Target Comics. Here's a splendid page from Target Comics v. 1 # 2 + it's a perfect page for Jack -

^^

The Amazing Scrooge has done it again!!!

Congrats on another display of your GA knowledge.

pineapple.gifnot_ripe.giforange.gif

It's Calling 2-R from Target Comics.

Fantastic Scrooge!

Is this the strip that is featured on the cover of Target #8 (an incredible copy of which resides in Mr. Carey's collection.) The motorcycle in the story you posted looks just like the very mod and streamlined cycle on that cover.

It's Calling 2-R from Target Comics.

Fantastic Scrooge!

Is this the strip that is featured on the cover of Target #8 (an incredible copy of which resides in Mr. Carey's collection.) The motorcycle in the story you posted looks just like the very mod and streamlined cycle on that cover.

Yep it is. Once I confirmed the story it hit me right away (hence I figured Steve would have known this right out). You noticed how BZ was sneaky and didn't show the motorcycles in his scans, little devil you BZ. Calling 2-R according to the Keltner was cover featured on that # 8 but also on v. 2 # 1.

There's not much online regarding the strip, but I did find the following which will give you a great overview of the feature.

Calling 2-R

Great link. According to the sorely missed Jerry Bails, Alonzo Vincent was one of the pen names of Jack Warren whose real name was Alonzo Vincent Warren who after working some unsuccesful strips ended in the Funnies Inc. shop from '39 to '48.

Jack,

I wanted to know what comic these Thimble Theater strips are from but thanks for the date of the Sunday page. It is probably an early Four Color, but which one? I think the Jeep story probably inspired Superman 30. Mxy could frustrate Supernan but he was a little more clever than Popeye who was more of a "man of action". The whole family of TT characters were super in some way. Larger than life. Swee'pea seemed to have a lot of friends like the Jeep and the Goon who liked him a little better than Popeye.

2236224827_3b1de355df_b.jpg

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

Fantastic!

Wikipedia says it's the August 9, 1936, strip -- but is this page reprinted in a comic book?

Wonderful scientific gobbletygook -- the writer did some research.

Your parallel to Superman is right on. Eugene the Jeep might as well be Mxyzptlk or Bat-Mite! Has he been cited as an inspiration for Mxy?

Jack

BB:

You were asking which book they're in because you don't know, not as a quiz?

I don't know either. If I can find Four Color 26, I'll take a look in there. I don't have any other early Popeye books.

Great pages. Thimble Theatre/Popeye really is a borderline superhero strip, isn't it? I remember reading an article that made the comparison once. Was it in All in Color for a Dime?

Jack

Jack,

I wanted to know what comic these Thimble Theater strips are from but thanks for the date of the Sunday page. It is probably an early Four Color, but which one? I think the Jeep story probably inspired Superman 30. Mxy could frustrate Supernan but he was a little more clever than Popeye who was more of a "man of action". The whole family of TT characters were super in some way. Larger than life. Swee'pea seemed to have a lot of friends like the Jeep and the Goon who liked him a little better than Popeye.

2236224827_3b1de355df_b.jpg

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

Fantastic!

Wikipedia says it's the August 9, 1936, strip -- but is this page reprinted in a comic book?

Wonderful scientific gobbletygook -- the writer did some research.

Your parallel to Superman is right on. Eugene the Jeep might as well be Mxyzptlk or Bat-Mite! Has he been cited as an inspiration for Mxy?

Jack

Terrific quiz, scans and information!

Bizarre strip -- you can't complain about the plot dragging along.

Thanks,

Jack

There's not much online regarding the strip, but I did find the following which will give you a great overview of the feature.

Calling 2-R

Great link. According to the sorely missed Jerry Bails, Alonzo Vincent was one of the pen names of Jack Warren whose real name was Alonzo Vincent Warren who after working some unsuccesful strips ended in the Funnies Inc. shop from '39 to '48.

Great pages. Thimble Theatre/Popeye really is a borderline superhero strip, isn't it? I remember reading an article that made the comparison once. Was it in All in Color for a Dime?

Jack

Aye Aye Sir. 'Twas "The First (Arf, Arf) Superhero of them all" by Bill Blackbeard.

52021-Popeye-SH.jpg.930691380ef1d0445b5d12fc51db464d.jpg