• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Ah, but what a night to remember! I was the second person to respond on your thread BZ,

let's recap board members in the order they responded, shall we:

1st-thomasdacat

2nd-Moondog

3rd-RareHighGrade

4th-mr.schomburg

5th-adamstrange

6th-Detective27Kid

7th-Theagenes

8th-ciorac

9th-GreatEscape

10th-Ivanko

11th-jbcomicbox

12th-ashrael

I believe those listed above, should be invited over to BZ for a little GeekCon...what say you, BZ...

I'm still waiting to hear back from thomasdacat. :gossip:

well, since I don't think he has ever posted since then :sorry:

Ah, but what a night to remember! I was the second person to respond on your thread BZ,

1st-thomasdacat

2nd-Moondog

3rd-RareHighGrade

4th-mr.schomburg

5th-adamstrange

6th-Detective27Kid

7th-Theagenes

8th-ciorac

9th-GreatEscape

10th-Ivanko

11th-jbcomicbox

12th-ashrael

I believe those listed above, should be invited over to BZ for a little GeekCon...what say you, BZ...

I'm still waiting to hear back from thomasdacat. :gossip:

well, since I don't think he has ever posted since then :sorry:

If I get an invite to BZ's I'll take a strike and pretend it's my shill.

Following a post by Ciorac elsewhere I started to look at some of the America's Best Comics floating around and found this in # 18. The Black Terror is taken captive and sent along with other "slaves" to the gas chambers. Accidentally, the Japanese officers and soldiers get trapped in and the inevitable ensues ... The last panel of the second page I post is a strong visual for a comic book for 1946.

52764-ABC18-GasChamber1.jpg.5e7642a7a145a5de5b849995c11ec75d.jpg

52766-ABC18-GasChamber2.jpg.d621f264244befbffbed4efc442b5daf.jpg

To start, I think I'll begin with All-American 3,4, 6 & 9. To be followed by more from this series tomorrow, and then maybe a bunch of early Detective Comics beginning with number 11.

BZ, this was from your first post. Did you ever post your Detective 11? If not, will you now?

Following a post by Ciorac elsewhere I started to look at some of the America's Best Comics floating around and found this in # 18. The Black Terror is taken captive and sent along with other "slaves" to the gas chambers. Accidentally, the Japanese officers and soldiers get trapped in and the inevitable ensues ... The last panel of the second page I post is a strong visual for a comic book for 1946.

Awesome stuff Scrooge. :cloud9:

Following a post by Ciorac elsewhere I started to look at some of the America's Best Comics floating around and found this in # 18. The Black Terror is taken captive and sent along with other "slaves" to the gas chambers. Accidentally, the Japanese officers and soldiers get trapped in and the inevitable ensues ... The last panel of the second page I post is a strong visual for a comic book for 1946. 52766-ABC18-GasChamber2.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Black Terror storyline. Why exactly is he still battling Japanese soldiers after the war?

I'm not familiar with the Black Terror storyline. Why exactly is he still battling Japanese soldiers after the war?

It's explained in the splash: it's a flashback ... or quite possibly the only way the editor had to run a story written and drawn before the war was over; a quick edit here and there and voilà, a flashback -

52780-ABC18-BTSplash.jpg.ad3c375d808d69e1cdee7ee89cd945f9.jpg

Is that by the same artist as the previous one you've shown BZ? Do you know / care to share anything about the artist?

pulppainting.jpg

The artist is John Walter Scott (1907-1987).

There's a fantastic profile about him in Illustration Magazine #14.

If you're not familiar with the magazine, you should check it out. Bud Plant has copies of this issue for sale for only $6.95.

I'm posting this here because BZ has provided safe harbor for all of us Burroughs collectors. Just got these is last week.

All 1st editions, a few really tough ones. And four of them are near perfect (The Oakdale Affair has some minor dust jacket damage).

IMG_0772.jpg

I'm posting this here because BZ has provided safe harbor for all of us Burroughs collectors. Just got these is last week.

All 1st editions, a few really tough ones. And four of them are near perfect (The Oakdale Affair has some minor dust jacket damage).

IMG_0772.jpg

I fondled some of these at PonsCon last weekend and let me tell you they are gorgeous :cloud9:

1st-thomasdacat

2nd-Moondog

3rd-RareHighGrade

4th-mr.schomburg

5th-adamstrange

6th-Detective27Kid

7th-Theagenes

8th-ciorac

9th-GreatEscape

10th-Ivanko

11th-jbcomicbox

12th-ashrael

I definately agree with this :wishluck::baiting::luhv:

1st-thomasdacat

2nd-Moondog

3rd-RareHighGrade

4th-mr.schomburg

5th-adamstrange

6th-Detective27Kid

7th-Theagenes

8th-ciorac

9th-GreatEscape

10th-Ivanko

11th-jbcomicbox

12th-ashrael

I definately agree with this :wishluck::baiting::luhv:

ok, so when's the party!

IMG_0772.jpg

Very cool! :applause:

IMG_0772.jpg

Very cool! :applause:

Thanks Jeff!