• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Name the artist who illustrated this panel and the name of the strip.

quiz21_1.jpg

And the bonus question: What character, when asked if he knew where radium came from, said, "Radium stations!"

Here's a couple more panels from the story.

quiz21_2.jpg

It's Gustavson again! (Speed Silvers)

^^

Steve is the winner once again!!!

The Speed Silvers story appeared in the same issue as the Homer Butts story.

Star Comics V2 #5.

Here's a couple more panels from the story.

quiz21_2.jpg

It's Gustavson again! (Speed Silvers)

^^

Steve is the winner once again!!!

The Speed Silvers story appeared in the same issue as the Homer Butts story.

Star Comics V2 #5.

Very nice!

Can we get the rest of the radium page?

Anyone know the answer to the bonus question?

Jack

I love Virgil Finlay's artwork.

He put so much detail into his illustrations, I'm surprised he could turn out enough work to make a living..

So do I. I never feel cheated when I see his work. Here's another Famous Fantastic issue. I will admit that I got it b/c I couldn't resist the mummy / dame / tiger combo on the cover. Who wouldn't love that!! And the interior illos are all by Finlay :cloud9:

55259-FamousFantastic-Oct1949.jpg.ba272d67d535f316a7d2c0a253023aa6.jpg

55260-FamousFantastic-Oct1949-Finlay-1.jpg.8f5bf425d0706282457399eb5c05a04c.jpg

55261-FamousFantastic-Oct1949-Finlay-2.jpg.5d2efa3200b7c28c691a5e97149b701f.jpg

55262-FamousFantastic-Oct1949-Finlay-3.jpg.88b79ca4bd71a688e8801bb44b55c359.jpg

I am seriously thinking of starting to collect pulps also after seeing all of the beautiful copies in this thread. They seem far more affordable than comics (ie, in my price range) and seem to have lots of hidden treasures within :)

Any recommendations of titles to look into for both art and stories? Thanks!

I am seriously thinking of starting to collect pulps also after seeing all of the beautiful copies in this thread. They seem far more affordable than comics (ie, in my price range) and seem to have lots of hidden treasures within :)

Amazing Stories :luhv:

Name the artist who illustrated this panel and the name of the strip.

quiz21_1.jpg

And the bonus question: What character, when asked if he knew where radium came from, said, "Radium stations!"

Bonus question hint: It's a character everyone knows by an artist everyone admires.

Edited by seank

Bonus question hint: It's a character everyone knows by an artist everyone admires.

Well, that leaves out a lot of artists.

Come to think of it, around here that leaves EVERYONE out.

Jack

(pitchblende)

What genres do you like the best (sci-fi, western, detective, hero pulps, weird menace, aviation, etc.)?

What genres do you like the best (sci-fi, western, detective, hero pulps, weird menace, aviation, etc.)?

I didn't know where to start helping you but BZ as usual nailed it on the head. Genre is a big driver for pulp collectors (as well as writers first and foremost). Personally, I like Adventure, Aviation and Detective pulps even though I do read the Hero pulps as well. Once decided on a genre, stand-out titles from each will emerge in our collective mind. In fact, I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this issue. So, Ash, what say are your favorite genres? :popcorn:

Meanwhile here's another Finlay illo. The bottom right is carefully hidden inside my dog who decided a couple of years ago she would read this issue of Famous Fantastic Mysteries ... she mustn't've liked the story too much. meh She can be a harsh critic and has a biting sense of commentary lol

55296-FamousFantastic-July1942-Finlay.jpg.786aaac643a70a09740ea5fa00beba37.jpg