• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I love the history of comic collectors as much as collecting the books themselves.

Alter Ego Magizine is a must read evey month , along with the books by Billl Schelly . Pioneers , such as Ron Foss , Jerry Bails , Grass Green,Howard Keltnar, "God Bless Them" to many to list........ (worship)

Does anyone recognize this character?

3103325518_827ac1c9fb_o.jpg

Streak Chandler on Mars. :acclaim:

(Thank you, Google.) :blush:

^^

I am suprised that you could find the strip on google since it only lasted 3 or 4 issues.

I thought you might at least need his name.

The art on this strip was pretty good. My guess is that it was by Camy.

Since the GCD was down today, I can't check.

It could also be by Meskin but I think that is less likely.

bb

I love the history of comic collectors as much as collecting the books themselves.

Alter Ego Magizine is a must read evey month , along with the books by Billl Schelly . Pioneers , such as Ron Foss , Jerry Bails , Grass Green,Howard Keltnar, "God Bless Them" to many to list........ (worship)

I have a big box of fanzines from the sixties and a CD that Jerry Bails sent me, which has scans of his fanzines.

I keep searching for relevant things or just neat stuff that I can post.

They should probably be scanned before the ink fades from some of those old copies. Don't forget Don and Maggie Thompson.

They put together a pretty good zine and contributed to others. Biljo White and Raymond Miller were also big contributers. As you said too many to list.

bb

It looks like you found your clue in French.

I could never learn enough French to do anything other than say good morning and I was told I didn't say Bon Jour cheerfully enough.

Fortunately I could use English in most of the Belgium cities other than Namur.

And I used Babel Fish to translate all of the scientific papers which shared a lot of common terms.

bb

Bookery's Guide to Pulps cites Revelry in Hell as being "probably the most sadistic torture story ever featured in the pulps." winner.gif

uncanny193904.jpg

1st Issue

High on my wantlist!!

What a great looking copy BZ (as usual!)!! :golfclap: I am obsessed with the weird menace genre lately... so post away! :wishluck:

Might as well post today's mail here... my first Red Circle detective pulp! A not-so-subtle cousin of the weird menace pulps. Nice paper, full spine, and lots of Schomburg illos (pre-Marvel Mystery!)

These seem almost as tough as the UNCANNY TALES and MYSTERY TALES... I had never seen this cover before this copy.

DETSHSTOR_june1939001.jpg

Here are three pretty good issue 4 fanzines.

Aurora 4 edited by Len Wein cover by Jack Kirby

3103966262_2955728920_o.jpg

Slam-Bang 4 edited by Richard Weingroff

3103966884_369a80d5c5_o.jpg

Rocket's Blast Special 4 edited by G.B. Love with a cover by Howard Keltner and the article is by Raymond Miller.

3103136785_3bcc02fb5f_o.jpg

Len Wein turned pro. And so did Michael Vosburg who edited Masquerader 6 which has a cover by Ron Foss.

3103966576_cf5bb4b3b7_o.jpg

And Alter Ego 2 was edited by Jerry Bails and Roy Thomas with a cover by Roy.

3103136345_66a51eb500_o.jpg

3103087196_9aba4d7570_b.jpg

Very cool clipping. :applause:

I had no idea that the Detroit Triple Fan Fair started that early.

I'm glad I bumped into this. I do part-time security at Ford Field. I told my partner that I collect comics and he started telling me how he used to collect comics. He told me about a guy named Eugene Seger and the huge collection he had. I had never heard of him, so this is pleasant coincidence.

Also, a local collector has an original poster advertising the first Detroit Triple Fan Fare. I missed a show where he was displaying it. I've been bugging him to let me take a photo of it.

I'm glad I bumped into this. I do part-time security at Ford Field. I told my partner that I collect comics and he started telling me how he used to collect comics. He told me about a guy named Eugene Seger and the huge collection he had. I had never heard of him, so this is pleasant coincidence.

Also, a local collector has an original poster advertising the first Detroit Triple Fan Fare. I missed a show where he was displaying it. I've been bugging him to let me take a photo of it.

Maggie has recently reported that Shel is very ill...

Maggie has recently reported that Shel is very ill...

Sorry to hear about Shel. Didn't his efforts on the Triple Fan Fair lead to the San Diego convention?

The NYC convention arranged by Dave Kaler took place that same summer but a month later.

And a few more fanzines.

Comic World 5 edited by Robert Jennings with a cover by Raymond Miller.

3104014941_5689ae2a3d_o.jpg

RBCC 40 edited by G.B. Love with a terrific cover by Biljo White.

3104014999_d72d4fcb0e_o.jpg

Masquerader 2 edited by Mike Vosburg with a cover by Mike Vosburg.

3104015029_28715859b2_o.jpg

Sorry to hear about Shel. Didn't his efforts on the Triple Fan Fair lead to the San Diego convention?

The NYC convention arranged by Dave Kaler took place that same summer but a month later.

Yes. Maggie relates in the latest CBG how Shel started his conventions in Detroit and then moved to SD.

3103325518_827ac1c9fb_o.jpg

The art on this strip was pretty good. My guess is that it was by Camy.

Since the GCD was down today, I can't check.

It could also be by Meskin but I think that is less likely.

bb

GCD is back up today.

They say the artist is C. A. Winter.

I'm not familiar with his work but I see from the Jerry Bails Index and GCD that he did work for quite a few publishers during the Golden Age.

Len Wein turned pro. And so did Michael Vosburg who edited Masquerader 6 which has a cover by Ron Foss.

3103966576_cf5bb4b3b7_o.jpg

BB, I love all the early fanzines you've been posting. :applause:

Am I correct in remembering there's an interview with Mike Sekowsky in the Masquerader? I have a memory of those guys recounting how Mike gave them a bunch of original artwork and they responded by telling him how much they could sell it for. (tsk)

Apparently that didn't go over very well with Sekowsky.

Sharp pulp! While it's clearly the inspiration, I do like some of the extra touches and changes made by the comic cover artist.