• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

We know that BZ like some other of us on the boards like OTR. I stumbled on this ranking for Radio shows circa 1942 - 1943 for high-schoolers. Clearly, the man Bob Hope was far and away the most popular.

Over 12,000 old time radio shows are available for your listening pleasure over at the OTR Network Library.

A very interesting slice of the American music biz. Some of the rare ones are quite pricey.

vogue.jpg

3468208307_a1688b6d87_o.jpg

According to JVJ, the Gladiator art was by Pierce Rice and Arthur Cazaneuve. They worked on Seven Soldiers stories for Leading if I remember correctly.

bb

Gary Groth interviewed Pierce Rice.

Great interview. Thanks!

I am having trouble spelling some of the names. That should be Arturo Cazeneuve I think. He worked with Pierce Rice on several projects. I didn't see mention of his work in Leading but I think it is correct.

3475108066_0043765288_b.jpg

I love that record. :luhv:

It reminds me of the old Vogue Picture Records.

vogue.jpg

Those old records are wonderful collectors items. I don't know how many exist but there seems to be an infinite variety. I can justify purchasing the Superman record because it comes with a story book.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I am not a big Fletcher Hanks fan but you have to enjoy the simple plots that he came up with.

It seems like the villians were really bad and the hero was really good.

And a quick flash of the hand took care of the villian's head that rolled down the stairs.

eg

3481032858_91decb8b6d_b.jpg

I really enjoy Fletcher Hanks. As weird as wolverton, but sans the "Meatballs & Spaghetti"

I assume you are describing Wolverton's feathering technique which he put everywhere. I always thought that it made his art look like a wood cutting. Not a nice thing to say but funny, thanks for the description.

I don't know much about this character either. Who did the art? The first panel is terrific.

bb

3482741881_36264ba517.jpg

Who's Who says it was by Tony Blum. He did a lot of nice work for Quality and Eisner.

Tony Blum = Alex Anthony Blum = better known as Alex Blum in Classics Illustrated, right?

Toni Blum = Audrey Blum Bossert = Alex's daughter.

She was a writer, not an artist, though.

They showed up in the roman à clef Eisner story, The Dreamer, that I read recently.

Jack

I don't know much about this character either. Who did the art? The first panel is terrific.

bb

3482741881_36264ba517.jpg

Who's Who says it was by Tony Blum. He did a lot of nice work for Quality and Eisner.

Tony Blum = Alex Anthony Blum = better known as Alex Blum in Classics Illustrated, right?

Toni Blum = Audrey Blum Bossert = Alex's daughter.

She was a writer, not an artist, though.

They showed up in the roman à clef Eisner story, The Dreamer, that I read recently.

Jack

Oops, I think that was supposed to be Toni Blum was the writer (related to Alex) and Al Bryant was the artist. I hope I got it right this time.

Uh oh! I see John Celardo is also listed as worked on Zero for Quality. I'll stick with Bryant but there are a few other possibilities.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

"Wonderful" ad for little girls. Who wouldn't be proud to Call for Chubbies. Pay close attention to the ad text, such self-esteem boosterism for "plumpsters" around the country :P

Dated 1949 -

78654.jpg.5e9c9d9addae325029897a425c809346.jpg

Please excuse my frequent motorcycle photos but I live in Orange County where they make the Choppers.

Here is one that was shown recently in another thread.

This is the De Carlo special made from a WWII Harley and used by a policeman.

3486976264_c1f09b19f6.jpg

:bump:

Rescuing the thread from the second page with some random Sunday musings.

In 1959, L.B. Cole, by that time the art director for Classics Illustrated, commissioned John Severin, fresh from his work on the EC War books, to re-draw The Last of the Mohicans for the series to replace the original Ray Ramsey version from way back in 1942.

Severin started on the job but as Cameron also commented, Severin didn't like the "editorial overinvolvement on the part of Roberta Strauss Feuerlicht" and quit after drawing some 12 pages. The job was finished by Stephen L. Addeo.

Here's one page by Severin who delivered a stellar job ... too bad he didn't finish it :cry:

79066.jpg.7d28347702de3bc896950c8f617dfc31.jpg

... and for comparison's sakes, here are the 2 splashes by Ramsey and Severin. Now, that's a tough call to compare b/c even though the Severin splash is more dynamic, we know it's a blatant swipe so that in that light, Ramsey's does a better job of establishing the setting and the players. Your call -

79067.jpg.ccf5964125b16fa13ecec89a23dfbd43.jpg

79068.jpg.1f1ab98b9e4342095931e9fbdaf3237d.jpg