• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Recently I was watching a DVD collection of the 1950's Walt Disney TV show, Tomorrowland.

Here are a few screen grabs of some comics of the future. lol

tomorrowland1.jpg

:takeit:

This Last of the Mohicans illustration by NC Wyeth would have made a terrific cover to one of DC's early comic books. :shy:

I think you should have used ;) instead of :shy:

Not only on that early DC cover but it's also used in this splash -

81350.jpg.889ff4440d90e9a26d146328e83ffb5d.jpg

Let's try a less controversial one.

This would have been perfect for a Classics Illustrated Special Issue (although I almost called it The Life & Time of Jack ... except that this isn't Jack's field) -

81351.jpg.a88cbc3fdb57cafe9f3feb67922b9405.jpg

Delacroix ! (worship)

Here's a Delacroix that could have been a cover for "Two-Fisted Tales".

Great choice :applause:

That's great stuff Scrooge. Can't wait to see what other combinations you come up with.

Here's another one a little more controversial maybe but we're adults so I think we can handle it.

This would have been a good cover for Real Fact Comics maybe.

Courbet's title is L'origine du Monde (The Origin of the World). It was a private commission in 1866 from Khalil Bey, a Turkish diplomat. Later the painting was owned by Jacques Lacan, renowned psychoanalyst. The Musee d'Orsay acquired the work in 1995.

The painting is freely exhibited in the museum. In fact, it is prominent in its exhibit room since it faces the entrance. It is interesting to watch visitors' initial reaction and notice that eventually everyone is attracted by the piece as it is strangely compelling in person. In fact, as related by Wikipedia, "according to postcard sales L’Origine du monde is the second most popular painting in the Musée d’Orsay, after Renoir’s Moulin de la Galette."

Not Safe for Work Link to the Painting

Scrooge,

This reminds me of my son's Cub Scout trip to the Brandywine River Museum.

I was thrilled by the electric train display and the N.C. Wyeth illustrations

but the boys probably remember the Wyeth Helga paintings better than the Sendak cartoons. Oops.

Link seemed to be closed to me but I wil probably have to check out the painting.

bb

Recently I was watching a DVD collection of the 1950's Walt Disney TV show, Tomorrowland.

disneytreasures.jpg

Here are a few screen grabs of some comics of the future. lol

tomorrowland1.jpg

Gory Science Fiction stories sounds like a good one. I will have to get a few issues for my collection. Thanks.

3640274608_b49421f836_o.jpg

This would have been perfect for a Classics Illustrated Special Issue (although I almost called it The Life & Time of Jack ... except that this isn't Jack's field) -

Louis Pasteur (December 27, 1822 – September 28, 1895) was a French chemist and microbiologist born in Dole. He is best known for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and preventions of disease. His discoveries reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and he created the first vaccine for rabies. His experiments supported the germ theory of disease.

Louis was one of my heroes, a chemist as well as a microbiologist. We can thank him and Jenner for doing a lot of early work on vaccines.

And while I am on the subject, where is the swine flu vaccine? I am tired of hearing about the pandemic.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

But I'd be wearing safety glasses.

Not so different otherwise! Pasteur was primarily a chemist at first, making seminal contributions to the understanding of chiral (asymmetric) molecules.

There are some similar covers out there, like this one.

Jack

81364.jpg.90dee9c91f399422d279fdc5f2e69bf9.jpg

Not so different otherwise! Pasteur was primarily a chemist at first, making seminal contributions to the understanding of chiral (asymmetric) molecules.

Jack

And don't forget his contributions to the wine industry!

Jack

81364.jpg

That sheep between his legs looks irate.

WELCOME BACK, BZ!!!!!

Thanks, Gary. :)

I know you're a fan of pirate covers.

Have you ever seen this one?

adventure192408.jpg

Adventure (August 10, 1924)

Thanks, BZ!

I've never seen it before. Wyeth again or Pyle?

I'm going to ask you if you have a book - I will be shocked if you subsequently DON'T show two or three different editions lol

Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates

Here's another Delacroix for Dr. Svord. Not quite appropriate for a comic book but would have made a great cover for some pulp like Oriental Stories -

Nice one! Thanks Scrooge!

Delacroix is, by far, one of my favorite painters. (John Singer Sargent being the other)

Great stuff.

tomorrowland5.jpg

I'd buy this book in a heartbeat. It's just so wonderfully absurd.

Thanks for grabbing these BZ.

I can't help but think of Lio's Undead Bunnies.

(I've been trying to persuade shiverbones to draw up an issue.)

Jack

81387.gif.917bdc59004f27c5588ac82056f91c3b.gif

81388.gif.063d53eabd31b97f08cdffebcb0c51d8.gif

I can't help but think of Lio's Undead Bunnies.

(I've been trying to persuade shiverbones to draw up an issue.)

Jack

He should. That's right in his wheelhouse. See if you can't persuade him to paint it.

hm

Then he could put them all together in a Pre-Code Horror/Coffee Table/Anthology book called "Francis Bacon's Comics and Stories" or something similar.