• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Let's try a less controversial one.

This would have been perfect for a Classics Illustrated Special Issue (although I almost called it The Life & Time of Jack ... except that this isn't Jack's field) -

But I'd be wearing safety glasses.

Not so different otherwise! Pasteur was primarily a chemist at first, making seminal contributions to the understanding of chiral (asymmetric) molecules.

There are some similar covers out there, like this one.

Jack

81364.jpg

That sheep between his legs looks irate.

And that rooster is sweating bullets because he's knows he next. :eek:

I can't help but think of Lio's Undead Bunnies.

(I've been trying to persuade shiverbones to draw up an issue.)

Jack

He should. That's right in his wheelhouse. See if you can't persuade him to paint it.

hm

Then he could put them all together in a Pre-Code Horror/Coffee Table/Anthology book called "Francis Bacon's Comics and Stories" or something similar.

:signfunny::hi:

I can't help but think of Lio's Undead Bunnies.

(I've been trying to persuade shiverbones to draw up an issue.)

Jack

He should. That's right in his wheelhouse. See if you can't persuade him to paint it.

hm

Then he could put them all together in a Pre-Code Horror/Coffee Table/Anthology book called "Francis Bacon's Comics and Stories" or something similar.

:signfunny::hi:

:hi:

:gossip: (I'm serious. That would be a cool book, man)

BB,

continuing your discussion of Hollingsworth work (and instead of posting in the Blue Beetle thread), here's some info (see scans below) I came across today.

I am finally reading Bill Schelly's bio of Joe Kubert: Man of Rock (am on page 52 of 290) from Fantagraphics and ran into some info about Hollingsworth there.

Also, I am enjoying this book as much as I enjoyed Schelly's Otto Binder bio. I was leery of this book at first since I've read about Joe and interviews with Joe many times before but Schelly is doing an excellent job of putting it all into context in a nice readable manner. Worthwhile reading so far.

Here's a taste -

81405.jpg.d28eaa52c89ccecbb1a704675327515f.jpg

81406.jpg.dcf4e2c9fdd1a63e6a532b4626d949a4.jpg

81407.jpg.dbdbe355b3700e81087a9032d72b19d5.jpg

adventure192408.jpg

I've never seen it before. Wyeth again or Pyle?

The cover was painted by an artist named Frank C. Herbst. I'm not familiar with his work but it does bear a striking resemblance to NC Wyeth, doesn't it?

Here are a couple of illos by Wyeth for comparison.

wyethkidnapped.jpg

wyethillo.jpg

I'm going to ask you if you have a book - I will be shocked if you subsequently DON'T show two or three different editions lol

Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates

I don't have any copies. :(

I've always been an admirer of the artists who were part of the Brandywine School but I never collected their work.

That's a project I'm saving for the future. ;)

BB,

continuing your discussion of Hollingsworth work (and instead of posting in the Blue Beetle thread), here's some info (see scans below) I came across today.

I am finally reading Bill Schelly's bio of Joe Kubert: Man of Rock (am on page 52 of 290) from Fantagraphics and ran into some info about Hollingsworth there.

Also, I am enjoying this book as much as I enjoyed Schelly's Otto Binder bio. I was leery of this book at first since I've read about Joe and interviews with Joe many times before but Schelly is doing an excellent job of putting it all into context in a nice readable manner. Worthwhile reading so far.

Here's a taste -

Thanks Scrooge. I will have to go back and finish reading Bill's biography of Joe, obviously I didn't get very far.

AC did a lot of work outside of comics, e.g., his Don Quixote paintings and some of the Lincoln Center.

His Gugenheim children's book is fairly well known too.

He is also mentioned as a major participant in the Civil Rights movement in the sixties.

I would like to find out about the biography which seemed unpublished. I think it is a worthwhile project and wonder what happened.

Perhaps Fantagraphics could pick it up.

3622476828_7049cf8f74_o.jpg

I would like to find out about the biography which seemed unpublished. I think it is a worthwhile project and wonder what happened.

Dr. Valliere Richard Auzenne is an Associate Professor at Florida State University.

Her bio at the school's website states that she is currently completing a biography on Hollingsworth for the Associated University Presses.

Schelly's book states that Hollingsworth earliest documented work was published in Contact Comics #1. I'd take a photo of one of his pages if I knew which story he illustrated.

contact1.jpg

(L.B. Cole cover)

Even though I knew nothing about his career outside of comics, I'm not surprised at all that Hollingsworth had success as a fine artist. What I have seen of his work in comics was very impressive with wonderful storytelling and beautiful linework. I'm a real fan.

Plowing my way through the book (about half-way now and still enjoying the heck out of it), there was one other mention of Hollingsworth on page 98. Here's the coda of AC's career -

Very interesting reading Scrooge as I knew nothing of Hollingsworth at all.

I can clearly see a West Indies Caribbean influence here (from Avon's Witchcraft #5).

81471.jpg.f953fcee8e4bf727720af8f6d9e1a169.jpg

Plowing my way through the book (about half-way now and still enjoying the heck out of it), there was one other mention of Hollingsworth on page 98. Here's the coda of AC's career -

Very interesting reading Scrooge as I knew nothing of Hollingsworth at all.

I can clearly see a West Indies Caribbean influence here (from Avon's Witchcraft #5).

I found a few Hollingsworth covers and splash pages which are posted on the Blue Beetle artists thread. I will give it a bump. He didn't illustrate the Blue Beetle but did do a back up story. I think there is also a story by AC in Contact 7 which I will try to post.

bb

By the way, his biographer was out of town.

There are quite a few examples of Hollingsworth's artwork from different phases of his career at this website: Link

hollingsworth.jpg

Thanks for the link! (thumbs u

I liked this one very much!

Alvin%20Hollingsworth%20Hollies%20Follies%2050s3_jpg.jpg